PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Change to MRA By-Laws in this Election

T Baggins
October 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
As I posted in the election thread, I am proposing we make a change to the By Laws again this year just as I did last year. This year I'd like the membership to consider changing the

Track Marshal

and

New Rider Director

to TWO YEAR TERMS instead of one year terms, as they are currently. The amended By Laws would read as follows, with BLUE being the new verbiage:

5.5 Term of Office. The term of office for the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Track Marshal, and New Rider Director shall be two years, with the term of office for the President, Secretary, and the Track Marshal commencing on alternating years from that of the Vice President, Treasurer, and the New Rider Director. The term of office for all other officers shall be one year.

There are a couple very valid reasons for these changes, in my opinion:

1) Currently ALL but two Board Positions are up for election every year. So, theoretically, you could end up with a Board containing 9 new members. After years of serving on the Board, and especially now with our new "more business minded approach to club management", I believe it would be extremely difficult to bring 9 people all up to speed in a timely manner as learning our jobs is already very difficult and constantly changing.

2) The relationship between the Track Marshal and the Safety/Corner Crew is CRITICAL to our events. If they don't show up, we don't race. Communication and management styles vary greatly, and so having some consistency that extends beyond a single season would be greatly beneficial to the training and retention of our valuable corner crew. This also impacts our relationship with the ambulance crew, which is critical to our raceday success.

3) The SuperStreet program continues to draw new riders and interest to our sport, and the curriculum and track training sessions for SuperStreet are still being tweaked and improved each round. Also our Race School program has changed, and now is integrated into a track lapping day, which has saved the club a ton of money but also created new challenges. As the New Rider Director position is critical to creating and improving our training program for new riders, I believe the consistency provided by a longer term would benefit the new riders AND the quality of the program moving forward.

Since we would want these positions to be on alternate ballots, this first go-round would elect ONE for a two-year position, and the OTHER for a one year position (then followed by alternating two-year terms in 2013).

Because of the intricacies and details of the relationship between Vice President, Treasurer, and New Rider Director - and the President, Secretary, and Track Marshal - I propose that they "group together" accordingly.

T Baggins
November 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
This was unanimously approved by the membership. Thanks Guys and Gals!