PDA

View Full Version : Endurances races, what format would you prefer???

random hero
October 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Just trying to get some opinions... With all the talk about costs, rules, etc. some of us were bouncing thoughts about the endurance racing, and our 30 minute races. I for one am a huge fan of a traditional endurance race. Having teams, strategy, the element of time... and how things can change over the longer time.

I think it'd be a good option to look at, it's one way of justifying raising costs for endurance for the people who are having issues with it. We'd be on track 15 minutes longer (if we did 90 min race) total, so it wouldn't drastically drag out our current race days. It's a format that could always be shortened w/the carnage from earlier in the day and still have plenty of track time.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just figured it'd make for a good discussion. I'd have no issue spending $100ish dollars for something like this, and I think we'd see good turnouts in the class.... Look at the 4-hour, we had people from half way across the country show... Endurance racing is a big deal, and a lot of people nationwide take it very seriously (Vesrah and 10 second pit stops comes to mind). Lets hear those opinions!!

racer96
October 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I would love to see a team event on a regular basis. The four hour race the past couple years has been the most fun I have ever had racing! There certainly is a lot more work involved to put on a program like that however. It has my vote.

random hero
October 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
So far 16 votes, 10 for longer-single race format, 6 for current format.

JWinter
October 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Remember guys and gals that the current format runs all day. Do we want to make super street wait until 6 p.m. to race? I don't see how we can add another full hour or even another 1/2 hour to the existing schedule plus the possibility of weather and/or crash delays.

random hero
October 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Remember guys and gals that the current format runs all day. Do we want to make super street wait until 6 p.m. to race? I don't see how we can add another full hour or even another 1/2 hour to the existing schedule plus the possibility of weather and/or crash delays.

if we ran a 90 minute race it would add 15 minutes overall to the race day. 30 min eace- 15 min break- 30 min race = 75 min.

JWinter
October 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I don't see the advantage of turning it into one big race?? The guys who run open endurance have some pretty fast closing speeds. Putting everyone on the track at the same time is not a good idea. Yeah it worked for the 4 hour event...But it won't work long term and here is why: How do we score 4 classes at a time if the timing system goes down? Why would guys on a SV 650 want to go out on the track with a bunch of open class bikes. Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken? Some guys are racing in two different classes (like Shannon). What about contingency? I am sure there is a few others that race in two classes which means two times the contingency. Why do we want to reduce the amount of contingency that could be won????

If you want more laps....Sign up for middleweight and heavyweight endurance and have at it.

COS Mille
October 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Have to agree with JWinter.

polar x
October 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
some of us run both middle and heavy weight. Having all 4 groups out at the same time wont work for us.

gsnyder828
October 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
some of us run both middle and heavy weight at only 2 events this year . Having all 4 groups out at the same time wont work for us.

fixed that for you. :lol:

rybo
October 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Here is how I view it:

The current format is responsible for almost 20% of the revenue on any given weekend - changing that drastically puts that revenue at risk.

Is the MRA in a position to lose 20% of it's revenue?

A better question - the endurance format is working, there are some other things that aren't - wouldn't it be in the best interest of the MRA to fix the broken things before trying to fix the things that work?

Luke, I really appreciate where you're coming from on this one, the long race at Miller is a lot of fun, but count the bikes that were out there. They didn't have great turn-out, there were fewer bikes on track during that 1.5 hours than there are in either of our 1/2 hour endurance races.

Believe me, I love the idea of a longer endurance race in concept, I personally do well in that format, but the risk of changing it is greater than the potential reward for the club in my humble opinion.

s

polar x
October 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
some of us run both middle and heavy weight at only 2 events this year . Having all 4 groups out at the same time wont work for us.

fixed that for you. :lol:

Thats just plain MEAN :wink:
Work does get in the way, but when I race, I race both. 8)