PDA

View Full Version : Traveling To Race In 2012.... Interest you if $$$ were low

random hero
October 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
A few of us went to Miller this past weekend, and it actually turned out to be almost the same price for me as the HPR rounds are. It got me thinking, and us talking... WHAT IF we could do this next year, hit some great tracks, and save some $$$ in the process. So, here I am gauging interest.

I'm looking into a different race "setup" for 2012. Currently I have a trailer setup to haul 4 bikes and a gas burner truck (s**ty mpg) and am tossing the idea around of swapping the trailer for something that could hold 6-8 bikes, gear, tools.. all the bs we take w/us on a race weekend, and pick up a diesel tow vehicle. I think I could provide economical means of transport for some people who have interest racing outside of Colorado, where time and money have held you back.

Flights are available to Salt Lake city for as little as $50 per-way, would it entice people to pay $100 to have their stuff transported and show up, race out of state and be back home by Sunday evening?

I know I've got 2-3 people who are 100% committed, and handful more that would entertain the idea, so figured why not gauge interest here. I'm open to just about anything next year... Barber, Infinion, Miller, just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone would be interested for next year.

toptier
October 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
you know I'm in Luke

Teach
October 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I would love to do this Luke! I have thought about this before but never thought I could afford it. We do have a big trip to europe next summer from end of june to July, but besides that I dont work from the end of May until beginning of August so time isnt an issue for me.
I think this would be awesome!!!

jeff healy
October 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
yup As long as I have any money at all I'm in!!

steamboat27
October 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Let me know I am only 6 hours from Miller and I would be willing to travel to other places

Sol Performance
October 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Talked to rybo about this too. I think as long as its a couple of trips we might be in. Keep us posted as to where you want to go for sure.

rybo
October 7th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I like the idea of doing some traveling to race in 2012, but will be putting the MRA events on my schedule first and doing some traveling if time and budget allow.

This is where I land on this - I want there to continue to be a race club in Colorado. Regardless of if I'm on the board or not, as long as I live in Colorado (or wherever I live) I'm putting the local club on my calendar first to try to do my part to assure their continued existance. If I spread my dollars too thin, then it's the traveling that gets canceled first.

This is the exact position that the MRA is in. Traveling to places like Miller and Hastings led to large losses that were unsustainable. The MRA made a prudent choice to keep all of the races in state for the last few years as a result of that.

I like racing at Miller, I like racing at Hastings, I would love to go and race at Road America, but more than all of that I need to remember that the MRA is a club that needs the support of it's members to continue to survive.

I'm putting my dollars here first. If there are some left over that allow me to travel, then I'll do some visiting races in 2012, just like I did in 2011 and 2010.

s

T Baggins
October 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm with Rybo. If you travel to other events "instead" of attending MRA events - you're only making the problem worse locally.

Luke, you didn't specify either way if this was a supplement to the MRA schedule, or in lieu of the MRA schedule. I assume it is supplemental...

jeff healy
October 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mine would be strictly after MRA. Those dates are already in my calendar with green loc tite!! :) But same as Rybo, if I have extra money to throw out the window Im all about traveling! Which, BTW thanks to you guys for locking up our schedule for next year so early! I think it really helps the MRA being the first one on peoples schedules for next year!

Sol Performance
October 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM
For me, its more of the idea of being able to race without worrying if someone needs to get tires done. This last weekend at Miller, I wanted to make sure everyone had everything that they needed and that left very little time for me to prep and race. Not complaining but just the way it is.

So I would probably like to go to several races next year. Ideally, before and after the season. This honestly upsets me because I would rather practice/race with you guys (and gals). Just have to keep ok mind that the MRA racers are my priority!

Kingpin
October 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I gotta agree with Rybo on this one.
Support the local club 1st priority.
If extra $$$ exist, and you have the extra time then yes out of state racing comes next.

I would hope that the MRA puts on a good enough "show" so that racers are not ending up choosing to go out of state to compete.

In the end yes we are in competition for racers. Hopefully the quality of local tracks, people/camaraderie and somewhat lower costs/hassle for travel is why folks choose to race local.

I hope we can continue to draw local and out of state racers to our program in the next year.

random hero
October 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'll try to keep as much of my $$$ in the club as possible, for sure. I think all of our priorities are racing here w/the MRA. That being said, I'm probably not going to be in the hunt for any points championships... if the opportunity arises to go and race a "bucket list" track over something here, I would think twice.

It also comes back to people who want to travel. This only works one way... a lot of people participating, spreading out the costs. I can't afford to drive cross country to race, but if 4-6 of us split the cost it's feasible.

I want to do as much as I can to help the club... I wish I lived closer to the hub (Denver) and I could be more active w/the board, meetings, but living 4 hours away doesn't allow me.

rforsythe
October 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Be careful with charging someone $100 to have their stuff hauled somewhere. I was going to do that for a handful of racers this summer to a Miller round, but decided on a whim to read my insurance policy. It explicitly states that hauling cargo for money basically invalidates my policy, meaning if that 43' trailer happened to pop off and take out a minivan full of nuns, I would instantly bankrupt my family. It's worth looking into all the angles before buying the farm. :)

random hero
October 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'll try to keep as much of my $$$ in the club as possible, for sure. I think all of our priorities are racing here w/the MRA. That being said, I'm probably not going to be in the hunt for any points championships... if the opportunity arises to go and race a "bucket list" track over something here, I would think twice.

It also comes back to people who want to travel. This only works one way... a lot of people participating, spreading out the costs. I can't afford to drive cross country to race, but if 4-6 of us split the cost it's feasible.

I want to do as much as I can to help the club... I wish I lived closer to the hub (Denver) and I could be more active w/the board, meetings, but living 4 hours away doesn't allow me.

random hero
October 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Be careful with charging someone $100 to have their stuff hauled somewhere. I was going to do that for a handful of racers this summer to a Miller round, but decided on a whim to read my insurance policy. It explicitly states that hauling cargo for money basically invalidates my policy, meaning if that 43' trailer happened to pop off and take out a minivan full of nuns, I would instantly bankrupt my family. It's worth looking into all the angles before buying the farm. :)

Yeah, I'll be talking with my insurance agent Monday... I'll either have a relase of liablity waiver drawn up, or look into a commercial insurance policy. I don't want to get f'd, or f anyone else over for sure.

Fastt Racing
October 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
No worries everyone! We are just turning into the newbi Shannon Moham's of racing, and want to race 12 races a year instead of only 7. I personally am very greatful that "we" have a different mindset than I saw with the USBA. "We" have a lot of very loyal members that will keep the MRA club organized and going strong for many years. I think it is awesome that the board's have worked out a convenient stagger of the MRA & USBA race dates, and hope the dates all work out without conflict again this year. If I didn't have to buy a race bike at the beginning of the year, I would have been more inclined to do a few more out of state races. With that being said, I was very disappointed in the lack of people that were actually willing to share the cost to make an out of state trip. It was very economical to attend Miller with the caravaning, sharing garages, hotels, food, etc. Everyone that didn't come missed out on a great time. P.S. they don't party like we do Brownie!

Throttleroller277
October 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Some do when I'm there.... You just gotta bring the party.

"build it.... And they will come"

Funny. When I was racing out there, I would haul Colorado beer out there For the utah people due to their 3.2 bs. Sometimes I'd have like 20+ cases. 8)

NossLou
October 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Luke I'm in! and would love to to come along when I can afford to. I want to head out of state many a times yet can't justify the travel costs. This would make life much more simple.