PDA

View Full Version : Race Prep for a 2011 ZX6R

303 cycle
September 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
So I'm starting to get my bike built for the next race season. Is there anything in particular about the 09-11 ZX6R models that I should be aware of?

I have downloaded the rules to go through but when it comes to case covers are we allowed to use just the protectors as both Woodcraft and Vortex are going to make more protectors than covers from now on.

Thanks ahead of time!

Bartman
September 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Case guards will be fine, nothing really out of the ordinary for the ZX. If I were to build one I would use a kit ecu and harness leo or acro or arrow exhaust Ohlins out front and back bimbo brake master corsa bodywork and of course a full blown cheater motor. :lol:

303 cycle
September 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
I hear you're pretty good with those kwaker motors Bart?

I'll see you soon!

rybo
September 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Also you should do everything you can to reduce the weight by 26 lbs.

s

303 cycle
September 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
-5lbs Shorai Battery

-21lbs for putting 3 less gallons in the tank :wink:

Bartman
September 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I hear you're pretty good with those kwaker motors Bart?

I'll see you soon!

I have been known to tweak a kawalski from time to time and make some HPs. Hell what am I saying I bleed green, maybe thats part of the problem. :lol:

Clarkie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Bart is the only guy I would take a Kawasaki to in Colorado, or maybe Marv at RMK as Ricky's bikes have always been fast and held together 8)

DUCDOC
September 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
AAhhhhh the EGO strokers! :shock:

Bartman
September 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Clarkie is pretty far from a ego stroker, also being a fellow tuner extradiniare he knows what to look for. So pipe down youngster. :twisted:

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
But I'm not the self proclaimed "Top Dog" Bart so I guess I don't know much LOL :lol:

Bartman
September 23rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Its usually the ones who don't toot their own horn that seem to know the most. Guess thats why i don't know shit. :lol:

Bartman
September 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Clarkie do you remember back when you were a novice and thought you had it all figured out or is that so long that you don't remember it at all. :twisted:

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Mate I am old as shit now days so I don't remember much, either that or I choose to forget a lot of things :wink:

303 cycle
December 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Where can I use these clips? I know the oil fill cap is permitted but can you use them anywhere else?

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/303cycle/IMG_1051_1.jpg

Bueller999
December 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Where can I use these clips? I know the oil fill cap is permitted but can you use them anywhere else?

Nose and ear jewlery? :wink:

Clarkie
December 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Not sure about the current rules, but from 2006-2008 I used to use them on my oil filler cap, the lock/pin for my front and rear axle nuts as well as my brake calipers and lower forks pinch bolts. I used to change tires/wheels a lot and it saved a lot of time and safety wire.

But check with rules and tech to see if that has changed at all :wink:

jrscooter
December 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Dont you worry about the Kawasaki motor, its rock solid. I'm proof of that. i have a 2003 zx636 with a lil over 31k miles, i have riden this Hard!! and i still race it!! I can tell ya it maxes out at 165mph, i've hit that # quite a bit... im sold on kwai's for good, never go to another manufacturer.
just thought i'd add my 2 cents on the subject..

sheispoison
December 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
oil filler cap, the lock/pin for my front and rear axle nuts as well as my brake calipers and lower forks pinch bolts

What Clarkie said is all good. Same as I've done the whole time I've been with the club.
carl

dragos13
December 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Dont you worry about the Kawasaki motor, its rock solid. I'm proof of that. i have a 2003 zx636 with a lil over 31k miles, i have riden this Hard!! and i still race it!! I can tell ya it maxes out at 165mph, i've hit that # quite a bit... im sold on kwai's for good, never go to another manufacturer.
just thought i'd add my 2 cents on the subject..

I doubt you have seen 165 at any track the MRA races at. While your speedo shows 165, it's innacurate due to gearing. Also, top speed will be dependant on gearing setup.

Oh, and yami's are WAY better....

:wink:

jrscooter
December 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
hey dragos, i never said i saw 165 on the track. :P Down town ATL!! is where i saw it....oh and 165 is acurate, i used a GPS to verify. the speedo reads 188 maxed out, ofcourse i know the 636 is not that fast but 165 actual is REAL :shock: #.. oh and by the way the yami is the sexiest looking bike out there, behind the ducati. :) ive always liked the look of the yami's

303 cycle
December 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
And so it begins! Got all my Woodcraft goodies on and started the saftey wiring. Next will be Samco hoses, air filter, and block off plates.

Of course a full blown cheater motor is a must, so I'll get that pulled Bart :wink:
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/303cycle/IMG_1057.jpg

Bartman
December 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Works for me how big do you want to go, ZX10 motor internals perhaps or ZX14 what the hell lets turbo the bitch. :lol:

303 cycle
December 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I was going to custom make a right side drive off the wheel to keep the supercharger, but if you think a turbo is better :shock:

In all seriousness I'll have to give you guys a call after I get the exhaust in so we can talk about some options Bart :wink:

jmaher
December 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've heard about block off plates....what is that? Should I do that to my 09 ZX6?

Joe

303 cycle
December 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Cheap mod and will give Bart a more accurate A/F ratio when he's rapping that thing up on the dyno :wink:

Perhaps Bart can enlighten us with the fine details of how it affects tuning/torque curve/fuel consumption/aliens 8)

Clarkie
December 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM
You can modify the existing system, or buy stuff. Up to you and Bart knows the pro's and con's of both.

Adding air into the exhaust port/pipe makes the A/F show lean, Bart knows ways to compensate for it or how to modify the system for tuning. Hemostats make the process pretty simple and if you can get them off his nipples they will do the job well :D

Bartman
December 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Clunkie you still kicken out there, I would never waste money on block off plates unless you have it to blow. Simple enough to put a hose between the two ports or JB them up, don't really think it makes a hill of beans difference to the way the bike runs but does need to be corked to tune as it will tweek the AFR but yea a HEMO works just fine for this. Some folks will tell you to run your engine breather to it but more often than not it hurts more than it helps and none of the kit manuals tell you to do this instead have a sepaqrate engine breather can.
Given the choice between SC or turbo the answer is simple, turbo all the way. More power per lbs of boost and less heat and can be made fairly rideable with the right turbo and plenium combo. I think a 160hp 600 with 70lbs of torque sounds like a blast.

Clarkie
December 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
As much as a few people in Colorado just want me to disappear, that isn't going to happen :wink:

I just used to hose to link the GSXR1000 PAIR valve ports on the valve cover and used zip-ties to secure them on. While the block-off plates are only around $35-40 that is a lot of beer, and they aren't visable enough anyway to impress your friends :lol:

I have also seen JB weld or some people tap the hole in the valve cover and then red locktite a screw/bolt in there. On some bikes running the engine breather directly to it makes power by scavenging the bottom end, on my GSXR1000 it was worth a couple of horsepower but bear in mind with some clubs it is an illegal mod as you 'could' be blowing engine oil out your exhaust ppe and onto the track :cry:

I would do turbo with nitrous, but thats just me :D

303 cycle
December 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Here I thought Kawi's had all the motor anyone needed? :?

Good news is my Samco's and other bits showed up. As soon as I finish loading my Cessna full of blow I'm getting out of Colombia.

Damn its hace sol down here! 8)

Wayniac
January 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
How are you mounting your rectifier? I didn't want to buy the kit harness and
I was in no mood to re-route factory harness. :twisted:

303 cycle
January 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
I think for the rectifier I'm going to make a braket by the overflow or if I can't sqeeze it in there make a braket with dzus to mount it in the stock location on the race bodywork.

Anyhow got the block offs installed, race air filter, and Samco hose kit this past weekend. Up next will be the FI system (PCV) and a HM quickshifter setup. Of course Armor Bodies bodywork is on the way this week as well. :wink:

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/303cycle/Picture.jpg

One question about suspension:
I was looking at a Ohlins 30mm kit for the front and a TTX for the rear. I'm pretty set on the TTX but I've been hearing mixed reviews on the 30mm and the 25mm kit is almost non-existant. What other options for the front forks on this thing? Race Tech, Taction Dynamics?
Would like to keep this local as well and support whomever I can as.

sheispoison
January 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM
Call Dave Rose up at STM Suspension 970 682-2071. He'll get you set up with the best stuff at whatever price point you're looking for and help you get it set up.

Clarkie
January 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
I used to buy cool suspension stuff, it impressed people and did an ok job, but once Dave revalved it my suspension worked awesome! Get the suspension (any suspension components) revalved to the rider and track before you go any further.

I have even ridden on stock OEM fork components (revalved/shimmed) that worked better than some fancy drop ($$$) in suspension components. Having an incredible suspension tuner is more valuable than buying off-the-shelf stuff.

Wayniac
February 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Those green hoses look sick!

303 cycle
May 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Getting closer. Are DB winsdcreens allowed for novice or does someone still have sand in their vag about that? :wink:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o537/davidkonechne/Picture001.jpg

loujr
May 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure its all good. Db's are even cool is SS.

Wayniac
May 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'd put some frame sliders on that beast. Saved me a whole lot of money in repairs on my low side.

jmaher
May 20th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'd put some frame sliders on that beast. Saved me a whole lot of money in repairs on my low side.

+1

303 cycle
May 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Yup, I have some Woodcraft's ready to go, just have to mount them up. I just wanted to get everything else fitted and mounted up before I cut them in.

Wayniac
May 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
I recommend ordering the long slider to put on the left side of the machine because it doesn't stick out as far as the right side with the short slider. I've noticed the tank got damaged on the left side of those with the shorty on the left.