PDA

View Full Version : Chains

jmaher
September 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
One of the things on my off season to do list is replace my chain and sprockets. However, in my small amount of research the selection is large. Any thoughts as to brands and even selection within the brands? What should I look for and/or avoid?

thanks,

Joe

random hero
September 22nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
DID ERV3 is the best chain in my opinion.... this is the first year I spent big $$$ on a chain, but it's a noticeable difference.

Sprockets seem to be pretty consistent over the board, used AFAM on the duc and have had good luck with it... Vortex are inexpensive but soft IMO.

JimWilson29
September 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
DID ERV3 or RK 520GXW are the 2 strongest chains out there. Renthal sprockets have lasted the longest for me followed by AFAM.

Bartman
September 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Erv3 is the best out there and as far as sprockets it does not matter much but make sure it is a hardened sprocket never go with a silver color sprocket they are worthless.

evomach
September 23rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Erv3 is the best out there and as far as sprockets it does not matter much but make sure it is a hardened sprocket never go with a silver color sprocket they are worthless.

I'm kind of assuming you're referring to Hard Anodized Aluminum rear sprockets so:

Really the Hard Anodize doesn't have much effect on the sprocket life. Though it will marginally increase wear resistance while there, It is just a thin surface coating slightly thicker than "regular" anodizing but still only a few thousandths of an inch thick. It very quickly wears off at the contact points on the sprocket - easily seen by the shiny bare aluminum on the teeth when you do your tire changes.

The more important thing is to go for 7075-T6(T651 probably) Aluminum over a 6061 Aluminum since it is a higher strength alloy and should last longer.

I've used and been happy with the Pitbull and the Renthal both of which are hard anodized 7075 sprockets. Pitbull has a pretty good contingency program with the MRA.

I know Kory at Intermountain Racer Supply carries both and I think he was doing a chain sprocket special recently with Pitbull sporckets and DID or EK chains.

Fastt Racing
September 24th, 2011, 01:30 AM
+4 on the ERV3 DID chain. They are the highest quality, tightest tolerance chain available, still pretty light also. Bartman is actually right for once in his life :shock: I had some of the same thoughts as evo when I first started with motorcycle racing, because of my background in metallurgy. Through experience this season I have seen different results than expected. I noticed that the hardcoat anodizing is effective for a few reasons:
a - The period of time, even if only a few races, that the anodizing is present minimizes the overall wear. This does add up.
b - The hardcoat is extremely effective in eliminating the wear on the large flat sides of the sprocket ring where the chain outside plates rub, especially when any misalignment is present.
c - The sprockets look more sexy, and are way more attractive to the curbside squids downtown, when you take your race body work off to ride the streets during the winter, (ask Widmann).

Bartman
September 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM

I'm kind of assuming you're referring to Hard Anodized Aluminum rear sprockets so:

Really the Hard Anodize doesn't have much effect on the sprocket life. Though it will marginally increase wear resistance while there, It is just a thin surface coating slightly thicker than "regular" anodizing but still only a few thousandths of an inch thick. It very quickly wears off at the contact points on the sprocket - easily seen by the shiny bare aluminum on the teeth when you do your tire changes.

The more important thing is to go for 7075-T6(T651 probably) Aluminum over a 6061 Aluminum since it is a higher strength alloy and should last longer.

I've used and been happy with the Pitbull and the Renthal both of which are hard anodized 7075 sprockets. Pitbull has a pretty good contingency program with the MRA.

I know Kory at Intermountain Racer Supply carries both and I think he was doing a chain sprocket special recently with Pitbull sporckets and DID or EK chains.

You are correct but I have found that companys that do the hard anodizing use the proper alum so last longer and if done right will almost double the life of a untreated one.