PDA

View Full Version : Skimming from an injured racer's fund

Clarkie
September 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM
So I was recently looking through some of my old files and I came across the PayPal donations file I got from the fundraising effort put forth from the entire motorcycling industry.

To bring people up to speed that aren't aware of what happened, on October 10th 2008 during the Friday practice day at PPIR, I basically screwed up and hit the wall into T1. I have never said it was a bike malfunction or any other rider's fault, and never will. The same day I crashed and was transported to ICU at Memorial Hospital, a good friend of mine was looking closely at the bike and confirmed the bike started and ran, the brakes worked and both wheels spun freely, well the rear wheel didn't spin far as my Marchesini wheel was shattered on impact. As I said, I screwed up, hit a wall, died a few times and thankfully Glen Conser and Josh Graham were there within minutes and performed CPR on me. Their efforts and the quick actions of the EMT crew that still work the MRA events, are a lot of the reason I am still here.

Thanks to some amazing friends a fund was set up via a "friend's" personal PayPal account and fundraising for my rehab and medical bills was set up. I am still amazed at the response it got not only from good friends within the MRA family, but from people in New Zealand, Australia and even in Europe.

I received the PayPal receipts in July of 09 when I arrived back in the US after 8 months of rehab in two countries, I also heard from a few friends that they gave checks from their own fundraising efforts that aren't on the PayPal receipts. Even without those fundraising amounts, the numbers just aren't adding up with what I should have received. As far as I know the fundraising and auctions were done with my rehab and medical bills in mind, I am still having speech therapy (yeah I know no one ever understood me before :lol: ) and may need an operation on my right knee which is still bothering me a lot, exactly the sort of thing the fundraising was intended for.

Can people please email me at clarkie49@hotmail.com and let me know if they contributed by either check or cash, who it was given to, and what approximate date it was on. As I said I have the PayPal receipts and want to try and match up some of the other donations that were given and right now it seems that some of the money given directly isn't accounted for. There is approximately $10,000 (just from PayPal donations) I didnt receive (even after PayPal fees) and I would like to know what other amounts that were given by check that I didnt receive. Even if we have talked about it via text or in person, remind me via email of our conversation.

Thanks again to everyone that did donate, it still blows me away to be honest. I just know people in the MRA donated for a reason and a great cause, it just saddens me that a lot of the money donated didnt end up where it was intended.

I dont want to discourage anyoe from donating to injured riders, it has made an amazing difference to me and I wouldnt be where I am today without the generosity fellow racers showed.

Thank you,
Aaron Clark