PDA

View Full Version : Q: Radiator Cap and Remove snapped Screw?

KFinn
August 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Hi,

So I have 2 separate questions.

On an 03 R6 that is having high temp issues, what radiator cap should I be running? I have a 1.1 but think it has either gone bad and isn't sealing due to old rubber or old spring thus boiling out to overflow too often.

second question is, during a couple tip overs in the paddock, my right rear stand spool screw broke right at the edge of the swing arm. (see attached pic) I have an idea on how to get it out but before I go off half cocked, wanted to see if there are any racing tips to this. I don't want to drill it out to a bigger size, re-tap and then have to find a bigger bolt for the spool and then have to widen the sleeve in the spool for the bigger bolt to fit so.... ideas?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/craigslistnut/IMAG0189.jpg

KFinn
August 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
My friend is going to see if he has an easy out small enough for that bolt. I think it was as small or smaller than 5mm

dragos13
August 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Try coming from other side. On my 06 R6, you could come in from the back side with an allen.

As for the radiator cap, if you don't know how old it is just replace it. Start there and see what happens. If you over-fill the system, it will also tend to leak out the overflow. What you need to worry about is the temp you are getting to while riding.

KFinn
August 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
If you over-fill the system, it will also tend to leak out the overflow. What you need to worry about is the temp you are getting to while riding.Last night i put about a half gallon back in the radiator because it was 'leaking' out the overflow. But I was pretty sure since this is the 2nd time i've done it lately that the cap was bad. Just wanted to cross reference.

Oh and my temps are definitely getting hot on track but not hot enough to be super scared it is getting off the track when it finishes it's spike to 230s and sometimes to 240 241 then it will cool from there.

Thx... i"ll give it all a try.

Throttleroller277
August 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
If you can get an "easy-out" small enough, that should work just fine.

Like Casey said, just replace the cap anyway.

I assume you are not running any fans on the radiator? If it starts boiling over before you get to the pits on your "cool down" lap, keep in mind that when you are running at a very slow RPM your water pump is also turning slower, moving less water, along with the fact that the slower you are moving, the less air you have moving thru the radiator. ..... pick up the pace a little on your cool down lap.

I also put a fan in front of my bike for a few minutes after I first role in to my pit, and after a few minutes I start the bike to cycle to cooler fluid from the radiator into the motor....

my 2 cents... though it means nothing

KFinn
August 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
my 2 cents... though it means nothingNot exactly... its at least worth .02 maybe .01 in this economy. ;-)

DOUBLE A
August 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
you cant even afford 2 cents! :lol:

TRK
August 12th, 2011, 10:19 PM
run a fan
use water wetter
use a high pressure radiator cap
try the bolt from the back side
if not use an ez out, the bolt will back out very easy
run a fan