PDA

View Full Version : explanation needed or not

Jon
August 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM
HiYall,
I got a call from Steve Madison yesterday asking why I left from our last race at HPR all in a huff and felt I'd better shed some light to any and all who may have questions.
Anyhow, first let me say that at no time during the weekend did I have any problems or griefs with anyone besides the fact that I, after twenty something years racing, simply wasn't finding the racing fun due to my head being elsewhere. I wasn't finding the speed that normally comes easily and simply scaring myself and self pressuring myself was only serving to I felt, inviting potentially disastrous results. So after a brief explanation to our announcer Dave Neighbor and a quick good bye to a couple folks, I was off and home before lunch ever ended. As i knew i'd be missing a round during the August event, I lost nothing but a few bucks but gained the piece of mind that comes from knowing when to step away. None of us is getting rich here, we've always got to remind ourselves that it's all about the smiles per gallon of petrol we get, the friends and family we're playing with and not about hanging one's head on the chopping block come Sunday.
I look forward to seeing you all again come round 7 or 8 and thanks for reading.

PS Thanks ST for helping set up the bike and I look forward to wringing it's neck next time out! LOL

JimWilson29
August 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
No explanation needed, Jon. We all have different reasons why we are out there and why we choose not to be out there. I'm going through a similiar situation as you; not finding racing fun and having my head elsewhere, and not being able to find the speed that I once had a few years back. I commend you for recognizing it and taking a break. Mine will be coming soon.
It will be great to have you back the last 2 rounds this season. :)

Jon
August 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks Jim and I suggest a short trip to Lake Powell with friends and family can help refresh ones enthusiasm....at least it worked for me.

Throttleroller277
August 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
There was a thread a while back about "what makes a great racer", or something to that effect...... And in my opinion Jon, you are a great racer in more one way, but your post here, and recognizing that fact that you might be putting yourself, and others in danger, is just one more thing, that makes you "A great racer".....

We look forward to your return!!

Why wasn't I invited to the Lake?!! 8)

Munch
August 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hope to se you trackside soon Jon, and if you need someone to keep the bike acclimated to the track, please let me know :)

phildrummond
August 11th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I was glad to see you out there for a change. Glad to have you back. I find that each season my lap times are getting slower. I think of hanging it up, but realize how much I'll miss it. So, I do every other weekend and try to stay out of the fast guys' way.

I think I'm doomed to carry that damn yellow plate. Effing yellow...

Round 6 is HPR. come give it another go.

acrovixen
August 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Jon, I always admired you as one of the fast guys my "rookie" year. Cool to see that you're still out there mixing it up with the fast guys, the youngsters and - let's face it - some wannabes :wink: Better to see that you're still on point and setting a good example. Better to walk away with you and the bike in one piece and come back to give 'em hell at the next round :) And a weekend at the lake to recharge sounds like a great plan - may have to put the hubby on notice to do some R&R ourselves!

Way to keep young and keep mixing it up! Hope you're still around when we get back to the track in a few years!

sheispoison
August 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hey Jon, I can't say we didn't miss you on the thunderbike grid! But I understand. "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".
Hope to see you soon out there so we can dice it up! Plus, we got to catch that damn Pat!
carl

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
besides the fact that I, after twenty something years racing, simply wasn't finding the racing fun due to my head being elsewhere.

I wondered what happened when I heard you left and left Lansu practically by himself on the front row of StGTO.

It's funny you mention the "head" thing. Sat morning we had all sorts of issues with the Ape endurance bike due to the oil tank leaking. I didn't get 2 laps of practice in, was running around trying get stuff to fix the tank, then getting tires set for the endurance .. bla.

So I went out in F40 with zero focus. As proof, I didn't have my stinkin' transponder on and didn't even realize it until after the crossed flags. Duhhh... Nontheless, I was able to chase down John F. and get the win .. all the while not feeling like I was fully focused.

What I did notice was that I was riding the Duc with more abandon. I've been told, "Ride it like a cheap w40r3" ... which I never could do since the words "cheap" and "Ducati" are antonyms. So maybe having a fuzzy head & a loose grip is the way Ducati wants it.

Jon, what do you think?

I'm glad you'll be back out .. looking forward to seeing you on the grid!!

benfoxmra95
August 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
besides the fact that I, after twenty something years racing, simply wasn't finding the racing fun due to my head being elsewhere.

I wondered what happened when I heard you left and left Lansu practically by himself on the front row of StGTO.

It's funny you mention the "head" thing. Sat morning we had all sorts of issues with the Ape endurance bike due to the oil tank leaking. I didn't get 2 laps of practice in, was running around trying get stuff to fix the tank, then getting tires set for the endurance .. bla.

So I went out in F40 with zero focus. As proof, I didn't have my stinkin' transponder on and didn't even realize it until after the crossed flags. Duhhh... Nontheless, I was able to chase down John F. and get the win .. all the while not feeling like I was fully focused.

What I did notice was that I was riding the Duc with more abandon. I've been told, "Ride it like a cheap w40r3" ... which I never could do since the words "cheap" and "Ducati" are antonyms. So maybe having a fuzzy head & a loose grip is the way Ducati wants it.

Jon, what do you think?

I'm glad you'll be back out .. looking forward to seeing you on the grid!!

Don't ride the ducati like you own it, ride the ducati like you OWN it.

Loosen the screws on that effing thing.

XBAM
August 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hey Jon just wanted to chime in and say that you set a great example with your ability to take a step back and realize your focus wasn't on racing. Having traveled with you and seen your dedication and passion for this sport, I know that you enjoy it like nothing else. I'm so glad you shared this with everyone, from what I've seen despite how physically demanding racing can be, the mental demands are far greater. Not being 100% on your game can have consequences and you are a true professional for knowing your limits. All the best.

Moto-Mania
September 2nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Jon,

You've got nothing to worry about. The mind and body of "older" athletes don't work the same as the young guns. When you've won as many races as you have, it's understandable that you might become a little perturbed when all systems are not in race mode. You did the right thing. Sometimes, success can blur reality. From my perspective, albeit not having reached the pinnacle of success that you have enjoyed (and earned), the reality, joy, and pure essence of this sport is all about just being on the grid and having the opportunity to go for it. Good lap times and finishing positions are just icing on the cake. It's a big world out there and racing is just a small (but significant) piece of it. I believe it is true of any competitive sport: Success can sometimes blind us to the reasons why we love it in the first place. Stepping back a bit is sometimes useful and necessary.

Mike