PDA

View Full Version : Slightly 'modified' 600 Supersport Shootout - Motorcycle USA

Clarkie
August 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
All you R6 fans may be a little disappointed :D

In the rest of the world the R6 isnt the first choice of 600 like over here, it proves that marketing can make such a big difference. That and people who race are like sheep, "if that guy is winning on the R6 then if I get one I should win to right?"

For the 2010 models, just Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha

Stage 1 ($2,600-3,700 of pretty simple mods, no engine or suspension work) - modified with simple things like exhaust, chain and sprockets, Kit ECU (ignition timing as a lot of stock ECU's retard the ignition to meet EPA regs) fueling control (either through the Kit ECU or a Powercommander), some bikes use a shock shim to adjust geometry
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/7452/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Modified-Supersport-Shootout.aspx

Stage 2 $(3,300-7,500) added suspension upgrades from RaceTech, rearsets, clip-ons, brake lines and pads, and airbox mods. Nothing inside the motor was touched.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/10189/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Supersport-Shootout-IX-Track.aspx

The stage 1 and stage 2 'mods' combined are from $6,000-10,700 which is what some people spend on a track/race bike while others try and stay at around the $3000 mark as they still have to buy bodywork and a few spares.

Because people will say the GSXR is a new bike for 2011 and is awesome while the Honda is 5 years old and is slow....... :D

Here are the 2011 models in showroom stock trim, they also added the Ducati 848, Triumph 675 and GSXR750
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/10189/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Supersport-Shootout-IX-Track.aspx

JimWilson29
August 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Crikey!

303 cycle
August 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Sweet I just bought a new ZX6R :)

Clarkie
August 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Not many guys even on the street leave the stock mufflers on so that mod makes sense (although not everyone can afford the same systems used in the test). Most of the Kit ECU stuff is to alter things that 'might' make a difference (ignition timing, engine braking), the exception being the R6 and it's 'awesome' ECU controled fly-by-wire system that everyone (who knows what they are doing) changes to a true 1:1 ratio with a Kit or reflashed ECU.

Not sure if Yamaha insisted they get to use a Kit ECU and everyone followed of not, but they are 'legal' for Supersport racing in the US so it makes sense they got to use them. Exhaust systems and fueling control (Dynojet or a Bazzaz type system) is a must and most people that race get rearsets and clip-ons (although I know a few fast people who use stock bars/rearsets) and change the gearing, as well as braided brake lines. The master cyclinders are 'legal' to be changed in SS in the MRA which still baffles me....

A few people rush off and get their motors built, where they should first sort their suspension out with Dave Rose, RaceTech or someone else who knows what they are doing, and then think about adding horsepower.

Bartman
August 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Gotta love the Green and I don't mean those stupid ECO nazis. :twisted:

peteyt328
August 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
A lot of guys could make me look silly on a bone stock R6, or any other bike for that matter. But I love my 09 zx6r!