PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Rule Change Suggestions

TRK
August 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Suggestions for the 2012 rulebook are now open and will be accepted until Monday October 3rd, 2011. Once the list is compiled, the proposed rule changes will be mailed to all members. Rule changes can be submitted to the VP of Rules and Tech, or to any rider representative. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule changes via this thread.

In this thread, I would like your input on when would be the best time to hold a rule change meeting (Saturday-Sunday-afternoon-evening-etc…..) Once a meeting time has been determined, it will be specified in this and an additional thread.

The meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed rule 2012 changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on which changes should be presented to the MRA board for approval. We would like to have finalized rule changes for the 2012 season in place before the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording as you would like it to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to discuss your rule change proposal, please start a separate thread.

If you have any questions please shoot me a PM.

JimWilson29
August 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Ok I'll start off:

Current Rule-

4.2 Amateur definition
A. Amateur is used to define combined race classes only and is not a license status.
Novice and Expert racers may race together in classes specified as Amateur.
B. Experts who race Amateur GTO, Amateur GTU or Formula 40 are ineligible for
RoR GTO and RoR GTU races during the same weekend. A racer entering either
Amateur GTO, Amateur GTU or Formula 40 and either RoR GTO or RoR GTU
will be removed from the results and will lose all contingency and earnings from
both Amateur, Formula 40 and RoR classes for that weekend.
C. Any racer who begins the season as an expert class racer and finishes in the
top 5 overall at the end of the year in Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU will be
ineligible for both Amateur GTO and Amateur GTU in subsequent seasons.
Novice racers that finish in the top 5 of Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU are
exempt from this rule, as are racers that begin the season as a novice but advance
to expert during that season.

Proposed Change:

4.2 Amateur definition
A. Amateur is used to define combined race classes only and is not a license status.
Novice and Expert racers may race together in classes specified as Amateur.
B. Experts who race Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU are ineligible for
RoR GTO and RoR GTU races during the same weekend. A racer entering either
Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU and either RoR GTO or RoR GTU
will be removed from the results and will lose all contingency and earnings from
both Amateur and RoR classes for that weekend.
C. Any racer who begins the season as an expert class racer and finishes in the
top 5 overall at the end of the year in Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU will be
ineligible for both Amateur GTO and Amateur GTU in subsequent seasons.
Novice racers that finish in the top 5 of Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU are
exempt from this rule, as are racers that begin the season as a novice but advance
to expert during that season.
D. Experts who race RoR and are top 5 in the standings in RoR GTO or RoR GTU are ineligible for Formula 40 race that same weekend. A racer entering Formula 40 and RoR and is top 5 in RoR GTO or RoR GTU will be removed from the results and will lose all contingency and earnings from both Formula 40 and RoR classes for that weekend. First race weekend of the season's eligibility will be based on previous season standings.

Reasoning:
The current rule was proposed at the introduction of the new Formula 40 to provide a class for over 40 riders that are not necessarily at the level of competition of our over 40 fast riders like Turpin, Orlando, Turner, etc. The negative effect of this has been riders that normally run RoR but are not running with the leaders have forsaken RoR to run Formula 40. This past weekend, 7 of the top 8 finishers in Formula 40 were previous RoR competitors. The RoR grid has shrunk while the Formula 40 grid has increased. By passing this rule change, it will have little or no effect on who is currently running Formula 40, but will allow those riders to run RoR again if they are not in the top 10 in the overall championship points.

oldtimer
August 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I like it, a good suggestion to get more riders on both grids. :D

JimWilson29
August 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
and another-

Current Rule-

4.6 Novice to Expert advancement process
E. For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, approved event participation, attending 4 general meetings or any other service as defined and approved by the Board. This now also includes the option to “purchase” your service hours for a payment of $100 to the MRA. You can either pay the amount in full, or work the full 4 hours.

Proposed Change-
E. For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to cornerworking, scorekeeping, approved event participation, attending general meetings or any other service as defined and approved by the Board. General meeting attendance will equate to 1/2 hour of community service for each meeting attended, and all 4 community service hours cannot be earned by only attending general meetings. This now also includes the option to “purchase” your service hours for a payment of $100 to the MRA. You can either pay the amount in full, or work the full 4 hours.

Reasoning:
In the past 2 seasons the MRA has made a concentrated effort to market the club to potential new riders and spectators by having exhibits at events that we deem benefical to increasing our exposure, resulting in the club remaining viable and solvent. Unfortunately the number of volunteers for these events has been disappointing. These have usually been staffed by board members or a small percentage of the club's novice and expert racers. In many instances, the same novices will volunteer for events even after they have met their community service requirement. By limiting the number of community hours that a novice can earn by simply attending the club's general meetings, the expectancy is that there will be more volunteers for other events.

JimWilson29
August 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Current Rule-

2.10 Production 250 Cup Class

H. Suspension may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. The stock unaltered rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjusted, including use of aftermarket dog-bones.

Proposed Rule-

H. Suspension may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. The stock unaltered rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters and valve emulators may be added to the forks. Stock damping rod must be retained but can be modified. Rear ride height may be altered or adjusted, including use of aftermarket dog-bones.

Scored51
August 20th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Proposed Rule-

H. Suspension may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. The stock unaltered rear shock body and stock fork tubes, including damping rod, must be retained. Preload adjusters and valve emulators may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjusted, including use of aftermarket dog-bones.

Jim, do you mean to propose that ONLY springs, valves and oil can be changed in the fork tubes, or that valve emulators can be added? You listed the damping rod in the same sentence as everything else you wish to remain unaltered. The first job in installing emulators is to alter the damping rod with a drill to render it useless or it is pointless to take the forks apart.

JimWilson29
August 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Chris meant to say that the damping rod must be retained. Modified the post

oldtimer
September 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Hey Shannon, I propose a Sunday afternoon for the rules committee meeting. That way the shops are closed. 8)

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Current:

3.1F Racers holding a current professional roadrace license from another organization cannot compete in amateur only classes.

Proposed:

F. Racers holding a current professional roadrace license from another organization cannot compete in amateur only classes, with the exception of an AMA Supersport License.

Rationale: AMA Supersport rules in recent years have changed that from factory level racing to a support class. The level of rider in the AMA Supersport class is in line with what the MRA typically sees from a first year expert, and is consistent with Amateur Status in the MRA. Those riders competing in AMA Daytona Sportbike and Superbike should not be permitted to run Amateur classes.

oldtimer
September 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Current:

3.1F Racers holding a current professional roadrace license from another organization cannot compete in amateur only classes.

Proposed:

F. Racers holding a current professional roadrace license from another organization cannot compete in amateur only classes, with the exception of an AMA Supersport License.

Rationale: AMA Supersport rules in recent years have changed that from factory level racing to a support class. The level of rider in the AMA Supersport class is in line with what the MRA typically sees from a first year expert, and is consistent with Amateur Status in the MRA. Those riders competing in AMA Daytona Sportbike and Superbike should not be permitted to run Amateur classes.

I'd ask us to clarify what "amateur only classes" is, does this mean the Amateur GTU and Amateur GTO classes? Or our "amateur status" classes, AmU, AmO, Thunderbike, Prod 250, F40, Endurance, etc?

I'd propose that it mean the Amateur GTU and Amateur GTO classes only.

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Current:

Proposed:

I'd ask us to clarify, does this mean the Amateur GTU and Amateur GTO classes? Or our "amateur status" classes, AmU, AmO, Thunderbike, Prod 250, F40, Endurance, etc?

I'd propose that it mean the Amateur GTU and Amateur GTO classes only.

So, now I'll ask for a clarification of your clarification -

do you mean that riders with an AMA pro license CAN or CANNOT race in Thunderbike, Prod 250, F40 and Endurance?

oldtimer
September 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
So, now I'll ask for a clarification of your clarification -

do you mean that riders with an AMA pro license CAN or CANNOT race in Thunderbike, Prod 250, F40 and Endurance?

Yes our racers CAN race in the other classes with an AMA Pro license. We have a long history of it in Endurance already.

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
How about this instead?

Current:

Proposed:

F. Racers holding a current professional roadrace license from another organization cannot compete in amateur GTU and GTO classes, with the exception of those possessing an AMA Supersport License.

T Baggins
September 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Given the current problem of low attendance and signups, maybe we should make it so that:

NOVICE classes are "protected classes" meaning that ONLY Novices can run them.

All others are considered ADVANCED (instead of Expert or Amateur) classes, and novices and Experts CAN run those classes (we let the Novices in half of the races anyway...)

Not withstanding the current "fast guys can't run true amateur classes"

muddy?

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Tony -

The manufacturers that still pay contingency won't do so if we allow novice racers into the Supersport and Superbike classes - they have to be expert only classes for Yamaha and Suzuki to play.

Last year they specifically said it, this year they were less firm on it, perhaps next year they will drop the requirement all together?

S

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
OK How about this:

Novice Only Classes

-Novice GTU / GTO

Expert Only Classes

- MW / HW / Open SuperSport
- MW / HW / Open Superbike
- ROR

Mixed Classes:

All others

AMA Pro Daytona Sportbike and American Superbike License Holders may only compete in Expert Only Classes

AMA Pro Supersport License Holders may compete in any non-novice class unless excluded by some other rule (amateur advancement rule comes to mind)

Pro level licenses from other roadracing organizations will be evaluated by MRA staff to determine rider / class eligibility.

oldtimer
September 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I like it.

DOUBLE A
September 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
OK How about this:

Novice Only Classes

-Novice GTU / GTO

Expert Only Classes

- ROR

Mixed Classes:

All others

AMA Pro Daytona Sportbike and American Superbike License Holders may only compete in Expert Only Classes

AMA Pro Supersport License Holders may compete in any non-novice class unless excluded by some other rule (amateur advancement rule comes to mind)

Pro level licenses from other roadracing organizations will be evaluated by MRA staff to determine rider / class eligibility.

Cheese & Rice! I love this guy, nice work RYBO! You got my vote... :D

oldtimer
September 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Expert Only Classes

- ROR

Mixed Classes:

All others

Oops I just realized this won't work.

Endurance is still a factor, I don't want to ban our guys from Endurance if they go to run Daytona Sportbike or Superbike. Dimick, Ricky, Galster have run Daytona Sportbike this year. SuperTwins also comes to mind--KTM $--Chris Fillmore Daytona Sportbike racer.

Let's tinker with this idea more. I don't want to limit our fast guys to ONLY MW-HW-O + RoR if they have a chance to run nationals. Everyone in our club should be able to run Endurance if they want to, and frankly I think they should be able to run the other classes too. If a guy has a 250 in the Cup races and a 1000 in RoR he shouldn't be penalized for pulling a national license.

Maybe we focus on AmU and AmO as stepping stone classes after novice? No Pro licensed racers in those.

rybo
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
yup =

give me a little bit - I'll take another stab at it

rybo
September 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Add 2004 and up Aprilia RSV and all years of the Aprilia Tuono to list of eligible bikes for Thunderbike

Rationale: The RSV is not an overdog compared to a superbike 749R / 848. At stock displacement there is no greater advantage with this bike than any of the other bikes on the list.

(FWIW - this isn't a personally motivated rule change suggestion - the RSV I'm getting is a superbike and doesn't meet the "stock displacement" clause)

Current Rule:
2.8 Thunderbike
This is an Amateur class allowing superbike modifications to the specifications listed below:
• Up to 850cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, four stroke
• Up to 350cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, two stroke
• Up to 700cc three cylinder, four stroke
• Unlimited displacement two cylinder, air cooled, two valve
• Unlimited displacement single cylinder

Additionally, the following bikes are permitted to compete but must remain OEM displacement and are the only bikes allowed to be over the displacement limits: Aprilia Mille – PRE 2004 models / Ducati – 916 and 996 / Honda – RC-51, Superhawk VTR 100 / Triumph – Daytona 955 and Speed Triple 955 / Suzuki – SV1000, TLS and TLR. Homologation specials exceeding the class displacement limits are excluded. This includes but not limited to Ducati models with SPS, R, and RS designations if they displace greater then 850cc.

Proposed Rule

2.8 Thunderbike
This is an Amateur class allowing superbike modifications to the specifications listed below:
• Up to 850cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, four stroke
• Up to 350cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, two stroke
• Up to 700cc three cylinder, four stroke
• Unlimited displacement two cylinder, air cooled, two valve
• Unlimited displacement single cylinder

Additionally, the following bikes are permitted to compete but must remain OEM displacement and are the only bikes allowed to be over the displacement limits: Aprilia Mille, Aprilia Tuono / Ducati – 916 and 996 / Honda – RC-51, Superhawk VTR 100 / Triumph – Daytona 955 and Speed Triple 955 / Suzuki – SV1000, TLS and TLR. Homologation specials exceeding the class displacement limits are excluded. This includes but not limited to Ducati models with SPS, R, and RS designations if they displace greater then 850cc.

Bartman
September 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I want to propose we allow slicks in the 250 prod class, my reasoning for this is that my slicks cost less than my dots for the turd fiddys and after talking with Oscar sounds like the same is true for the Dunnys. Cost was one of the driving reasons for this class and if so this makes total sense to me and if tire availability is not a issue then lets open it up and let the riders decide what to run.
If I remember right we did not want to allow rains in the class so you don't need two sets of wheels but we can still disallow rains.

JimWilson29
September 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I want to propose we allow slicks in the 250 prod class, my reasoning for this is that my slicks cost less than my dots for the turd fiddys and after talking with Oscar sounds like the same is true for the Dunnys. Cost was one of the driving reasons for this class and if so this makes total sense to me and if tire availability is not a issue then lets open it up and let the riders decide what to run.
If I remember right we did not want to allow rains in the class so you don't need two sets of wheels but we can still disallow rains.

Current Rule
M. Tires must be DOT rated tires only.

Proposed Rule
M. Tires may be DOT rated or slicks.

TRK
September 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Per Tony Baker:

Original:
K. Hand and foot controls, rearsets, handlebars, and levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain stock

Change:
K. Hand and foot controls, rearsets, handlebars, brake master cylinders, and levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Throttle control must remain stock

Bartman
September 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Under 2.2.2 B
I would like to add
f radiator.
The reason I want this is bikes are getting faster but are also getting hotter and this is a big problem at altitude and does constitute a safety hazard so I would like to give the members the option to add larger radiators or modify stock ones to compensate for the extra temps that altitude causes.

TRK
September 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Why don't people run the stock cooling fans?

Bartman
September 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Rad fans do nothing at speed and detract from cooling while on the track which is why all the kit harnesses don't have fan hookups.
The basic problem we have is not enough air to cool the bike so bikes that are fine at sea level run 20 + degrees hotter here. Ricky O has already had a highside on a cooldown lap due to the bike over heating and that is why I want to look at modded or larger rads as a possiblity.

The GECCO
September 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Why don't people run the stock cooling fans?

Cooling fans are there to provide airflow when the bike isn't moving (traffic lights, etc). They're never on (or at least shouldn't be) when the bike is moving).

Clarkie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
I used to run a fan on my GSXR1000 and out helped a lot, it was hard wired with a switch for those times when you were held on hot pit too long, and when you slowed down on the cool down lap. I put it on for a reason, and it did it's job. Most bikes will lose power when they get over 190'

TRK
September 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
My bike runs 15 degrees cooler after I kick on the fan mid race.
If I don't kick on the fan I run a tad over 205 210 on a really hot day flip the switch........180 to 190

Maybe it I went faster I wouldn't need the fan, but it works for me.

I also noticed Clarkie ran his on a 200 plus hp super bike for the same reason. (Clarkie, I made the 200 hp assumption)

Clarkie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
It was 210hp :wink: The fan with a hard wired switch or a simple adjustable fan temp switch set to 185' works well

JimWilson29
September 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Cheater! :D

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
LOL sorry for being someone that can actually build a motor in Colorado that stays together for more than one race weekend? :lol:

chrobis
October 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
The intent of this proposal is to create a racer service commitment that doesn't distinguish between Novice and Expert designation. It is implemented as a 'Delete / Add' because the current Novice requirement is contained in the section that defines the Novice to Expert advancement.

The guidelines for the rule change process request the submission of very specific language. If you agree in principle but disagree in the particulars (# of hrs; buyout rate, covered activities), speak up.

Delete 4.6.D,E,F,G:

D. All riders who begin the season as a Novice must complete 4 hours of community service to the club that season. Novice riders must complete 4 hours of service before being upgraded to expert. Failure to complete the service will result in the forfeiture of all points and standings for the season in all classes in which the rider has competed.

E. For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, cornerworking or any other service as defined by the Board.

F. The Board may waive the requirement of community service for a rider for extraordinary circumstances and by a majority vote of the Board.

G. Point calculations for the purposes of advancing to expert (Section 4.3) will be applied prior to application of penalties due to failure to complete 4 hours of service to the club.

Add:

4.4.4.C Community Service

1. All riders who are not members of the MRA Board must either:

a. Complete 4 hours of community service to the club each season, or
b. Pay $25/hr to the club for each partial hour not worked.

Failure to comply with one of the above conditions will result in the forfeiture of all points and standings for the season in all classes in which the rider has competed.

2. The period for Community Service begins the day after the previous season's last race, and continues through the end of the current season's last race weekend.

3. Fullfillment of the Community Service requirement will be tracked on the MRA website for all riders, indicating both 'if' and 'how' the requirement has been completed, (i.e., 'Board Member', 'waived', 'x hours / y dollars').

4. For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, cornerworking, race school instruction, new-racer adoption / coaching, assisting a board member, activities on/for board-designated commitees or groups, or any other service as defined by the Board. First year Novices can fullfill their commitment by attending MRA monthly General Meetings, at a rate of 1/2 hr per meeting.

a. Riders must have prior consent of any responsible Board member in order to fullfill their Community Service in such capacity. (This is geared towards cornerworking and PR events.)

5. The Board may waive the requirement of community service for a rider for extraordinary circumstances and by a majority vote of the Board.

6. For Novices, point calculations for the purposes of advancing to expert (Section 4.3) will be applied prior to application of penalties due to failure to complete 4 hours of service to the club.

Alternate:
One modification to help our financially challenged club would be to increase the license fee for racers by the $100 buy-out amount, and then account for service commitment fullfillment as ongoing credits. This would eliminate the 'Failure to comply' text, as everyone would be in compliance when they paid their license fee.

This would change the Community Service rules (4.4.4.C.1 and 4.4.4.C.2) as follows:

4.4.4.C Community Service

1. All riders who are not members of the MRA Board are able to earn up to $100 credit for community service, at the rate of $25/hr, for activities
enumerated in 4.4.4.C.4, below.

2. The period for Community Service runs from the the date when licensing opens, through that year's awards banquet.

I realize that this would add to the workload of both the MRA Secretary and Treasurer; I hereby volunteer to oversee the management of this community service requirement in order to offset its costs. Surely the benefits to the club, in terms of both increased fairness between the Expert and Novice classes, increased funding, and increased participation by club members, outweighs the cost of change.

chrobis
October 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Scott -

If you're adding the Tuono to Thunderbike eligibility, how about the KTM SuperDuke? I have no intention :roll: of tracking it, but it is paid off now...

rybo
October 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Section 11:

Current Version:

D. Pets are discouraged, but are permitted on a leash no longer than 7 feet. No snakes, reptiles, arachnids, spiny echidnas, or amphibians are allowed. MRA officials reserve the right to remove vicious or uncontrolled pets at the owner’s expense.

Proposed Version:

D. Pets are discouraged, but are permitted on a leash no longer than 7 feet. No snakes, reptiles, arachnids, badgers, or the representation thereof, or amphibians are allowed. MRA officials reserve the right to remove vicious or uncontrolled pets at the owner’s expense.

Rationale:

The Spiny Echidna is a generally docile creature that deploys it's spines in defense from attack only. Furthermore they are non-indigenous and highly unlikely to be kept as a pet by an MRA member. The badger, especially the honey badger, on the other hand, is an aggressive ill behaving creature that is prone to indiscretion at any time.

Team Spiny Echidna raced the 4-hour endurance this year in an effort to raise awareness regarding the unjust exclusion of this friendly mammal from our ranks.

Fastt Racing
October 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
It looks like I might be too Late?
I would like to propose that slicks and DOT's be allowed in all supersport classes.
Reason: I run slicks and don't want to switch!!!!
Also USBA may be making this exact same rule change... They site many reasons:
A- Tire vendors like the idea of streamlining their inventory? I personally don't understand this one.
B- Most tire vendors say that their Dot's are no longer true Dot's, but the same compound, tire, casing, etc, just grooves added and a meaningless DOT rating.
C- I Think the original intent of the rule was to create a less expensive, true DOT tire requirement, to keep bikes closer to street form, and create parity between bikes. Modern Dot's no longer represent these requirements accurately.
D- Many riders racing in the other classes are discouraged from running the supersport classes because of the significant hassle and expense of switching to Dot's for those classes. (I personally agree 100% with this).
Futhermore... The people who really like the Dot's they currently race on can still continue to use them and be competitive.
I have noticed a benefit of good more forgiving wear, and consistant performance from racing on slicks, and feel like it more than justifies the extra $10 per rear tire! This will not change the cost to compete for any racers in my opinion.
Summary: We can all run the same tires that we prefer in any, and all classes that we choose!

Current Rule~
G. Only DOT approved tires or non-DOT full rain tires may be used. The original
molded tread pattern cannot be modified. Non-DOT slicks and non-DOT
intermediate tires are not allowed.
a. Manufacturers must make tires available in minimum quantities as follows:
1) Front tires - 100
2) Rear tires - 200
b. Construction and compound number will identify approved tires.
c. Manufacturer must verify that the tire is available for purchase by any
competitor through normal dealer/distributor channels in quantities no less
than stated above.
d. Tire manufacturers who try to circumvent these requirements may have their
eligibility revoked.
e. Any competitor found to be using a tire not meeting the above requirements or
which differs in any way from an approved model may be penalized according
to Section 13.

Propossed Change~
G. Only DOT approved tires or non-DOT Slicks, full rain tires, intermediate rain tires may be used. The original
molded tread pattern cannot be modified.
1) Front tires - 100
2) Rear tires - 200
than stated above.
eligibility revoked.
e. Any competitor found to be using a tire not meeting the above requirements or
to Section 13.

dragos13
October 5th, 2011, 06:48 AM
It looks like I might be too Late?
I would like to propose that slicks and DOT's be allowed in all supersport classes.
Reason: I run slicks and don't want to switch!!!!
Also USBA may be making this exact same rule change... They site many reasons:
A- Tire vendors like the idea of streamlining their inventory? I personally don't understand this one.
B- Most tire vendors say that their Dot's are no longer true Dot's, but the same compound, tire, casing, etc, just grooves added and a meaningless DOT rating.
C- I Think the original intent of the rule was to create a less expensive, true DOT tire requirement, to keep bikes closer to street form, and create parity between bikes. Modern Dot's no longer represent these requirements accurately.
D- Many riders racing in the other classes are discouraged from running the supersport classes because of the significant hassle and expense of switching to Dot's for those classes. (I personally agree 100% with this).
Futhermore... The people who really like the Dot's they currently race on can still continue to use them and be competitive.
I have noticed a benefit of good more forgiving wear, and consistant performance from racing on slicks, and feel like it more than justifies the extra $10 per rear tire! This will not change the cost to compete for any racers in my opinion.
Summary: We can all run the same tires that we prefer in any, and all classes that we choose!

Current Rule~
G. Only DOT approved tires or non-DOT full rain tires may be used. The original
molded tread pattern cannot be modified. Non-DOT slicks and non-DOT
intermediate tires are not allowed.
1) Front tires - 100
2) Rear tires - 200
than stated above.
eligibility revoked.
to Section 13.

Propossed Change~
G. Only DOT approved tires or non-DOT Slicks, full rain tires, intermediate rain tires may be used. The original
molded tread pattern cannot be modified.
1) Front tires - 100
2) Rear tires - 200
than stated above.
eligibility revoked.
to Section 13.

Unfortunately, your suggestion is beyond the deadline.

Fastt Racing
October 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Sorry Rybo. Looks like spiney echidnas will be banned from the paddock for one more year. We will have to get back from Miller, and on the forum a little faster next year.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
October 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The Spiny Echidna is a generally docile creature that deploys it's spines in defense from attack only. Furthermore they are non-indigenous and highly unlikely to be kept as a pet by an MRA member. The badger, especially the honey badger, on the other hand, is an aggressive ill behaving creature that is prone to indiscretion at any time.

Team Spiny Echidna raced the 4-hour endurance this year in an effort to raise awareness regarding the unjust exclusion of this friendly mammal from our ranks.

I am going to make the biggest effort I can to attend the rule change meeting for no other reason than to combat this unfair discriminatory practice. Scott, Brian Lehfeldt, and I sacrificed our time, money, and dignity during the 4-hour on behalf of the spiny echidna - we won't go down without a fight!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UGSSUl2rb6s/TUYdXijPciI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/luS1x-bPBA8/s1600/Australian+echidna.jpg