PDA

View Full Version : Banquet information - NEED FEEDBACK!

The GECCO
October 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
OK Gang, I have tentatively reserved the Summit Events Center (same as last year) for the banquet. The Banquet will be Saturday evening, January 13, 2007.

Here's where I need some feedback. In the past, the club sells tickets to the banquet 'at cost', meaning the club makes no profit on them. We comp tickets for a lot of staff, corner workers, ambulance crews, trophy sponsors, etc, the club has traditionally absorbed these costs and lost money on the banquet. In the past he club has been financially healthy enough that this wasn't a problem.

I have been saying for a while now that the drop in entries, increase in expenses and the $50k investment in the new track have all taken their toll on the clubs finances. I would like to avoid the club absorbing so much of the banquet costs this year if possible.

We have two options -

1) A normal banquet, just like last year. Ticket prices would increase over last year in order to absorb some of the costs of the comped tickets. I am guessing they would be ~$50 per person ($40 last year), possibly more.

2) A 'pot luck' banquet. It would be held at the same place. The Summit would provide all the plates, silverware, napkins, etc, and have a cash bar. The MRA members would bring all the food and non-alcoholic beverages. The cost for this would be about ~$15 per person.

So, tell me what you want to do!

clowe
October 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I say we bring our own food!

polar x
October 25th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Sorry for the stupid question, but if we choose to do the pot luck, why is it going to cost $15?

Wild Cheetah 612
October 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Sorry for the stupid question, but if we choose to do the pot luck, why is it going to cost $15?
Cost of the hall, their staff, and their supplies (plates, etc.)

C'mon guys, make it a nice event and cough up the $50!!!

Lel399
October 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM

HAHAHHAH this from a board member 'comped' ticket!

I really enjoyed the place last year... the food was pretty good, definately not $50 (or more) worth though.... plus a soda was 1.50-2 for one of those little cocktail glasses

All said, I would rather do a $15 per person to come in, potluck style between a bunch of chips, some meatballs in crockpots, subs from sams or something, i think it would be pretty cool. Besides... the food is never the center of everything going on anyways

jason

rybo
October 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Is outside catering an option? I gotta think we can find someone for less than $35 a plate that would bring some awesome food.

S

The GECCO
October 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
a banquet hall is not going to allow us to bring in an outside caterer. I was surprised they even agreed to let us rent the hall w/o having at least SOME sort of food purchase.

Clarkie
October 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
can we byo alcohol?

The GECCO
October 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
no, it would violate their liquor license

Spiderman
October 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM
While a pot-luck sounds cozy, the problem, IMHO, is that with the number of people I imagine will be there, it would be VERY difficult to organize the wide array of different foods... unless there was some organization as to several different dishes, and people could decide which variation to bring (ie: 2 "menu" lists, and people could choose to bring something from 1 of the lists)

Lurch
October 25th, 2006, 08:21 PM
What if the MRA provided the main course? Much like in years past at the last race. PIG ROAST.

Lurch

clowe
October 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Glenn, have we already reserved the place and have we already paid something? You know, up until last year we always had our event in a hotel or right next to one. That was pretty nice because you drink and then not have to drive home. What about one of the hotels we have done it at in the past (can't remember the names) or even the Traildust or some other restaurant. The mean would then be well worth the $50-$65 per plate. Just a thought!

As for the place we had it last year, the food was not very good and the drinks were really expensive. And, they didn't take credit cards or debit cards at the bar so you had to have like $50 cash to dink for the night if you plan to buy a few people drinks.

Hence, the idea of a restaurant..............

Thoughts?????

Lel399
October 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM
The traildust was horrible! couldnt hear anything, noisey... food was cold... last year was 10 times what the traildust was.

Wild Cheetah 612
October 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM

jason

Bite me!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing23.gif
Not comped if I don't get reelected, so vote for me Leleck! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/635.gif

Lel399
October 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM

jason

Not comped if I don't get reelected, so vote for me Leleck! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/635.gif

haha was just joking!!! :)

i havent gotten my ballot yet ! grrrr

Wild Cheetah 612
October 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM

haha was just joking!!! :)

i havent gotten my ballot yet ! grrrr

I know, I love you, too! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/409.gif
I haven't gotten my ballot either!

Raggedy
October 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
The Trail Dust isn't the only rest. in town. I think with a little pokin' around we could come up with another option or two, unless we are locked in to the events center. Glenn C if you would like some ass-istance :wink: call me.

T

Throttleroller277
October 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Poodee
October 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
pay the fifty bucks... I do...
Glen, do you know about how many people usually attend? I work at a hotel you know..... Let me know

bwjunkie
October 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
ill pay either amount, but i think bring our own would be neat, im guessing it will be delicious and more creative.
wouldnt you rather have more members show up than eat catered food?
josh

Kickstand
October 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM
If I'm getting all dressed up, i would like to be served a nice dinner. As far as the sub, burgers, chips idea, that's like any other race.

I enjoy the dressing up thing once a year... I would definitely prefer a served meal as opposed to a potluck. I like the hotel idea as well... i think that would be a great idea... I'm sure Roberta could help us out!

Tawny

polar x
October 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM
wouldnt you rather have more members show up than eat catered food?
josh

BINGO!!!!!! You can still have a nice dinner and dress up, why do we have to pay so much for crap (from what I hear) food? I would rather have more people there.

A $100 for me and the misses is a Mortons meal.

turtle evans
October 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Can I bring my super dooper special brownies? All in favor?

rforsythe
November 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
While I like the idea of an actual good prepared meal for an event like this better than a pot luck, I also don't like the idea of paying $50 for what we got last year. It was "ok" but not great (though way better than Trail Dust).

That said ... If a pot luck ensues, I assume bringing something is a prerequisite to getting in the door? Rather than some people paying $15 and not bringing a thing while others actually do their part, which I could see happening to some degree.

What about a limited number (to make sure everyone doesn't do it) of increased-price (like $30) tickets for those who don't want to cook, which helps defray the MRA's costs and creates a compromise for those who just want to show up and eat? When those tickets are sold out, everyone else is bringing a dish and paying $15. I also think many would opt to bring something anyway, a couple coming can easily bring food for less than the $30 increased cost for the two of them.

Could multiple people go in on something big (like Lurch's pig roast) together?

Just ideas... May be more complicated than it's worth. On the other hand, some people in this club are excellent chefs and I'd rather eat their food than cold meatballs I paid $50 for.

T Baggins
November 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
IMHO, the food last year was much better than it was the last two times at Trail Dust. If you heard it was crap, you must have heard it from Lurch. Keep calling it crap though, and you'll see what shows up on your plate. :twisted:

Understand that we're not simply paying for a meal. We get exclusive, no holds barred, total access to the place with a stage, sound system, etc... - and we get to run the entire program. Try that at Morton's.

Or we could go quasi-white trash... My neighbor's got a huge indoor arena. Maybe we could get some space heaters and then have a decent caterer bring some grubbins? Then when we get drunk we can try to screw their goats. :shock: Ha ha (or should I say "Baaa Baaaa")

Truly it amazes me that a group of people who will pay $12 a gallon for race gas, and spend between $500 and $1000 a weekend to race won't spend a hundred bucks to celebrate our sport, camraderie and champions. I'll pay my own way this year - just so nobody can pin the "comped" label on me.

Maybe I'll just tack it on to the membership fee for next year, and then the banquet is included with membership in 2007. Do I hear a "second"?

Lel399
November 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
everyone has come up w/ some good points... can I change my vote to Pay! ? hahah

jason

Kickstand
November 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
second!!!!

Lurch
November 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
IMHO, the food last year was much better than it was the last two times at Trail Dust. If you heard it was crap, you must have heard it from Lurch. Keep calling it crap though, and you'll see what shows up on your plate. :twisted:

Seems others feel the food was not up to par Baker, as I have kept any and all comments about last years food to myself. However others have stated that they didn't like it. :roll:

What made me mad about last year was you could not attend without buying a ticket.

I'm not even going to go into the Trail Dust. I will say the first year was better then the second and the first was put together while myself and others were trying to get through the whole Andrew thing. Also personnel at the Trail Dust had changed from first year to the second.

I feel Glenns pain as it's impossible to find the absolute best place with the best food at the least amount of $$$$$. Tony maybe you should spend two or three days wondering around Denver trying to find a place with great food with a stage and a PA that only cost $30/person. Oh and make sure it will fit anywhere between 250-300 people. Then hope that when said place serves up 250-300 meals that it tastes as good as it does when they serve you that 1 for free when they are trying to get you to book.

Good luck Glenn and I will see you at the banquet no matter where you have it.

Lurch

Spiderman
November 2nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Truly it amazes me that a group of people who will pay $12 a gallon for race gas, and spend between $500 and $1000 a weekend to race won't spend a hundred bucks to celebrate our sport, camraderie and champions.
=D>

dave.gallant
November 2nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Just for a differing point of view:

Please do not raise our MRA License Fees to pay for a event that not everyone wishes to take part in. Racing and bench racing are still two very different things.

turtle evans
November 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
holy shit!!! i think we could talk anything in to the ground.....personally it doesn't matter to me one bit really, if the food sucks, i'll always enjoy the company. Did some one say goats? :P

dave.gallant
November 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Baah!

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/hansa%20goat.jpg

Hotrod
November 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
I say we have a goat-roast at the Effin' vee-pee's compound! :twisted:

T Baggins
November 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
I know from when Lurch was VP, and now two years with Glenn doing the banquet - that there is never a perfect fit. Lurch's point about finding a place you can have to yourself, that will seat 250-300, and is only about $30 a plate is on the mark. It's very, very difficult. I guess that's my point - you do the best you can and then we enjoy the event, if not so much the food. Overall last year was better than the previous year, but the first year at Trail Dust (I thought, anyway) was really pretty good. Guess it depends on where you were sitting and whether or not they remembered to fully cook your steak.

To Dave G - If we charged EVERYONE up front, but many chose not to attend - imagine what a kick-ass party it would be. My choice would be the Diamond Steakhouse, thank you very much... :P "Yes, I'll have the 18 oz Porterhouse and a Lap Dance please."

dave.gallant
November 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
ITo Dave G - If we charged EVERYONE up front, but many chose not to attend - imagine what a kick-ass party it would be. My choice would be the Diamond Steakhouse, thank you very much... :P "Yes, I'll have the 18 oz Porterhouse and a Lap Dance please."

I do believe I stand corrected.

Put me down for two plates!

turtle evans
November 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have a good friend who owns a catering companty who would give us a deal. She is a genuinly awesome person and her company makes stellar food. If the powers at be (T-bag) would like to talk with her lemme know!

uberwench
November 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
The banquet isn't about the quality of the food, or the money. It's about the event itself and what it represents. How many weddings have you been to that you "paid" at least $100 for where the food was dreadful, the hall was awful, the drinks were expensive and watered down, and the band/DJ sucked, but you still had a great time? Did you call your friend beforehand and ask, "Hey, what kind of food are you serving? I wanna figure out how nice of a gift to get for you guys. And whether or not to bring my own food."

Also: keep in mind that what goes around comes around with the ladies. You take them out somewhere all dressed up fancy, and...well, you know how most women say, "Thanks for a great evening, honey!" :twisted:

turtle evans
November 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
That was the point I was trying to make by saying "if the food sucks I'll enjoy the company" I am not going for the food or the band but to have a good time with good people!

Ashli
November 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Understand that we're not simply paying for a meal. We get exclusive, no holds barred, total access to the place with a stage, sound system, etc... - and we get to run the entire program. Try that at Morton's.

Or we could go quasi-white trash... My neighbor's got a huge indoor arena. Maybe we could get some space heaters and then have a decent caterer bring some grubbins? Then when we get drunk we can try to screw their goats. :shock: Ha ha (or should I say "Baaa Baaaa")

Truly it amazes me that a group of people who will pay $12 a gallon for race gas, and spend between $500 and $1000 a weekend to race won't spend a hundred bucks to celebrate our sport, camraderie and champions. I'll pay my own way this year - just so nobody can pin the "comped" label on me.

Maybe I'll just tack it on to the membership fee for next year, and then the banquet is included with membership in 2007. Do I hear a "second"?

Honestly I never heard that from Lurch but quite a few other racers, :oops:

Ashli
November 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
The banquet isn't about the quality of the food, or the money. It's about the event itself and what it represents. How many weddings have you been to that you "paid" at least $100 for where the food was dreadful, the hall was awful, the drinks were expensive and watered down, and the band/DJ sucked, but you still had a great time? Did you call your friend beforehand and ask, "Hey, what kind of food are you serving? I wanna figure out how nice of a gift to get for you guys. And whether or not to bring my own food."

Also: keep in mind that what goes around comes around with the ladies. You take them out somewhere all dressed up fancy, and...well, you know how most women say, "Thanks for a great evening, honey!" :twisted:

IMO if we have to pay a 100 bucks for us to eat dinner that better be some kick ass entertainment if the food sucks LMAO

T Baggins
November 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
You've obviously never seen Otis receive an award. That alone is worth $100! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wild Cheetah 612
November 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
You've obviously never seen Otis receive an award. That alone is worth $100! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Otis has a woman, now! Wait 'til you see how sexy that man is going look come banquet night! He'll be hot in his drunken rambles this year!!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/361.gif