PDA

View Full Version : Reading Tires

Clarkie
July 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
This is done by Dave Moss and is pretty good.
http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/dave-moss-unsprung-tire-wear/

Personally I would always listen to your own tire Vendor as they know the tracks you race on better than most, but with so many new racers in the MRA some of them may find it interesting about how your tire can tell you so much about your suspension

People like Dave Moss and Dave Rose (STM Suspension) have a lot of experience dealing with suspension/geometry issues than may actually look like a 'tire problem' when in fact the tire itself isnt at fault.

coax
July 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Great video on tire wear and the causes. Thanks for sharing!

Bueller999
July 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Yep thanks Aaron I saw it before but couldn't remember where or the content much anymore. I was actually using some of that info yesterday!

Clarkie
July 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I was actually using some of that info yesterday! CHEATER!!! :lol:

One thing to remember, is this is Dave Moss's why of doing things, it isnt by any means the 'only' way of doing things as far as suspension and tires go. It is more just information for people to look at to give you ideas and some knowledge. Your suspension guy may have a different way, is it wrong heck no, it is their way. There is more than one way to skin a turnip :wink:

I can honestly say I never really cold tore a tire in the last two years I was racing, part of that is because I had special tires flown in from Europe just for me.....:D Actually I woud always err on the side of caution with my pressures as I didnt feel it was worth tearing a tire up in the first practice when it was cool out. I set up a friend's CBR600RR in Utah so it worked awesome for the way I was riding it, someone else rode it and proclaimed it was set up wrong and I didnt know what I was doing. Now with the owner on it the bike just tears up tires and has no grip as it is set up way too stiff :roll: