PDA

View Full Version : Walmart exposure?

AR
June 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I help manage one of the busiest Walmart stores in Colorado, at Palmer Park and Powers in Colorado Springs. We had an executive visit our store yesterday, and I told him I was into racing motorcycles and mentioned the MRA as a way of making the store more fun for our customers while also promoting the club.

My store manager then piped up, in front of this guy, that Colorado has the highest motorcyclist-per-capita # of any state in the USA. I started talking about the hillclimb, all the nearby tracks, how much the military (our primary market) love bikes, etc, etc. A bunch of the store's associates ride. There are 3 of us in the salaried ranks who ride. 3 assistant managers, including myself, who ride. One rides an R6, the other a Harley. As far as non-exempt employees go, one hourly manager rides an R1, two others ride Harleys.

Everyone thought it would be a cool idea. The exec. told me to go ahead and try to make it happen.

The way I imagine it, we get 10-15 racebikes and park them in the bowling alley (inside, in front of the registers, where people line up to check out) on stands, put up the MRA booth/tent (we have high ceilings), and staff the desk with 2-3 volunteers. We could talk about motorcycle racing to the general public, hand out the 2 for 1 flyers, mention free military gate entry, etc, in hopes of boosting the number of spectators at the next PPIR race in September. I figure a date close to the PPIR race would be best. I will contribute my Aprilia RS125 and my Honda RS125 to put on display.

The store would be more than willing to feed the volunteers lunch, whatever it takes. Walmart has no issues at all with promoting non-profits at the store level, especially if the event makes our store more fun for our customers.

Safety would be a huge concern. I can't think of very many ways for someone to get hurt by a bunch of bikes on stands that can't be addressed by having volunteers engage anyone who comes close to the bikes in conversation. Our customer base is pretty decent, not really "typical" Walmart. Most of our customers are military and ex-military. They're a non-violent, pretty much classy bunch, that don't tear the store up too much. We have one of the best looking stores in Colorado for it. I used to work at the Platte store. I can tell you right now I wouldn't be comfortable doing an event like this there. Palmer Park is a totally different store.

On any given day, ~7500 people walk through our doors and buy something. That's HUGE exposure for the club. I see it as a win-win... We park a bunch of bikes in the store, and the customers get to see something they don't expect to see while the club promotes itself.

I figured I'd post this in public, but, if anyone wants to talk in private about taking the next step, I can be reached by PM.

A little about me... I've been to all 3 races this year, racing the SS class on my Aprilia RS125. I'm about to get my license and start racing a Honda RS125. I'm the Assistant Manager of Electronics, Wireless, Photo, and Toys at the Store #3582 in Colorado Springs, CO. I would love to make this event happen at our store.

Thank you,

Aston

T Baggins
June 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hey Aston,

sounds AWESOME to me!

Let's give the Board a chance to discuss logistics, etc... and get back with you.

Thanks for getting this rolling!

glenngsxr
June 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM
This is pretty cool. I would be willing to help out with this. I have known Aston for a long time and he is a standup guy. Sounds like a win-win.

spideyrdr
June 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hey Aston, that sounds like a cool opportunity. Not sure the best way to pull it off, but you're on the right path!

I wanted to add this. The Centennial Walmart had an R6 in a display in the store a couple of months back. They had a dummy on it in gear (ATGATT?) 'pulling' a vacuum. One of the strangest things I have ever seen but I loved it. Maybe the manager up there is someone to talk to about your plan? They may have a bead on how to execute including some insurance issues or whatnot.

Thumbs up for thinking outside the box. The "big box"!

graphite675
June 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
What a great idea! I would be more then willing to help out if I can. I'm local and have my 675 I could bring in if needed. Would be nice to have more local exposure here in the Springs. Most events seem to be centered around the Denver area.

JimWilson29
June 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Aston, this sounds like a great opportunity! From the responses above, there are already volunteers that are willing to help out. Perhaps you and Glenn can get this coordinated sometime prior to the round at PPIR. I will be more than happy to answer any questions and provide you with all the literature and materials you will need.

glenngsxr
June 30th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I work in Denver and live in the springs so I can grab any collateral we need and make sure it gets to Aston. Palmer Park is probably the best location to reach our intended audience, undoubtedly. Lots of military folks. In fact, we should just hand out free admission to military families and $5 vouchers for the rest of the folks. I think having 3-5 bikes on display would be pretty cool. They would need to be clean specimens though. They need to look unlike anything most people have seen. This is the reason people flock to MotoGP, even though WSBK has 10x better racing. Aston, let's set it up.

Glenn

AR
June 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Loving the enthusiasm!

I will keep the ball rolling. I'll have a talk with my store manager and lay down some details. I want the bikes parked inside. We'll come up with a couple of date options. If we can rig it for one of my days off, I'll man the bikes and booth, too. I'm really good at talking to our customers.

My bikes are a pretty radical departure from what folks see everyday, and they're both bright red and really clean.

I appreciate everyone's offers to help out. Thank you Glenn for the kind words.

COS Mille
June 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'm in if you need help, I can bring the R6 novice race bike, and my 02 RSV set up as a Super Street class bike. Let me know. Hell, even the gear when displayed attracks attention........................

COS Mille
MRA 117

monument mike
June 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
:) My old neighborhood ! (springs ranch) I'll keep watching this post...will definitely help out if I can . Maybe my Kawi 750 triple resto will be done by then . :)

AR
September 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Alright folks, the time has come to talk about how to pull this off.

We're going to do this thing Thursday next week. I need as many racebikes as humanly possible to show up. If for some reason you cannot transfer your own bike, I have a truck and trailer and the promise that I won't fuck anything up in order to get the bike from your residence to my store!!

I will be working that day and will make it a point to drop by the booth every half hour or so to make sure everything is running smoothly. I will also put my AP boys on point to make sure nothing gets taken. I am more than willing to lose my job over tackling a bike thief!

I am sure our MRA bosses are behind this: Anything we can do to drive spectators to the event is a huge WIN for the club.

If you're in town, meaning Colorado Springs or visting from surrounding areas, I urge you to contribute your bike and enthusiasm to this effort!!

I would bet this would even count toward novice hours!! I'd like to do a 4 hour event from 1pm to 5pm, meaning traffic will be pretty moderate and word of our presence will spread fast. Again, I will be contributing both an Aprilia RS125 and a Honda RS125 to the effort.

Vintage bikes and SS bikes are more than welcome as well!!

Glenn: Given you're working in Denver, I am calling you out to get the tent/booklets/supplies to run an MRA promo event before Wednesday next week. Let me know if you can't do it: if not I will make other arrangements!

I want to drive a couple hundred spectators to the PPIR event and improve the clubs balance sheet!!

I;ve also told the folks who work for me that there's a good chance I will be able to get them in free. If I can't do that, then I will gladly pay $5/head for all of them that show up! What say you, bosses?

Walmart + club racing sounds like a HUGE wn. You don't know where this could go but could probably imagine!!! The demographics are there, and I can envision a day when WMT goes after regional clubs all over the country! Let's light this fire and see where it goes!

PM me if you're even remotely interested in contributing either your bikes or your time!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Aston Reynolds, Novice #727

?

monument mike
September 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
:) My ninjette 250 & super street tagged zrx1100's clean enough to show . I should have time Thurs to bring 'um down . Let me know...

glenngsxr
September 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I can pick the collateral up, just need someone to get it all rounded up and maybe meet me with it. Who can do that?

graphite675
September 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'll see if I can get my race bike down there but to be honest doing it on a Thursday is going to be tough for me to work out.

Any chance you can do this on a weekend? I really think you would get more exposure from riders. I would think during the week day most of your shoppers are going to be house wives who may not have interest in racing?

Just a thought.

JimWilson29
September 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I will have flyers, banners,etc at the Wednesday General Meeting and Bike Night at The Walnut Room. Whoever takes the stuff to the Springs to be used at Walmart during the day will need to coordinate getting it to Erik Peat by Thursday evening for the Hooters Bike Night that Apex Sports is putting on.

Email me at mra.publicrelations@gmail.com

AR
September 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
:) My ninjette 250 & super street tagged zrx1100's clean enough to show . I should have time Thurs to bring 'um down . Let me know...

Let's do it!! My phone number is 719-201-0110. Feel free to give me a call to discuss logistics!

AR
September 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I can pick the collateral up, just need someone to get it all rounded up and maybe meet me with it. Who can do that?

Glenn, my phone number is 719-201-0110. I can pick the collateral up and then return it to the Hooters Bike Night.

Let me know!!

AR
September 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'll see if I can get my race bike down there but to be honest doing it on a Thursday is going to be tough for me to work out.

Any chance you can do this on a weekend? I really think you would get more exposure from riders. I would think during the week day most of your shoppers are going to be house wives who may not have interest in racing?

Just a thought.

If you're having trouble getting your bike down, I can pick it up anywhere near the Castle Rock/Denver/Parker/Boulder/FoCo area with my truck and promise to take care of it. At the end of the day, I can park it in my heated, 2 car garage equipped with an alarm and more insurance than I'll ever need.

The reason I want to do it on a Thursday is even if it's wives shopping, they'll have their kids with them and then the kids and wife will tell hubby about what's going on 25 minutes from our store at PPIR!

If we do it on a weekend, we lose the chance to gain those extra spectators!

Let me know! 719-201-0110

AR
September 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My e-mail address is aston.reynolds@gmail.com if anyone wants to discuss this via e-mail.

To the fellow with the Triumph: I can pick your bike up and have it ready at the track. You can arrive and race pro-style!! :-)

AR
September 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
What a great idea! I would be more then willing to help out if I can. I'm local and have my 675 I could bring in if needed. Would be nice to have more local exposure here in the Springs. Most events seem to be centered around the Denver area.

I would be MORE than happy to have your bike in my store! Any help you need I am more than willing to provide!

AR
September 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm in if you need help, I can bring the R6 novice race bike, and my 02 RSV set up as a Super Street class bike. Let me know. Hell, even the gear when displayed attracks attention........................

COS Mille
MRA 117

I've posted my number multiple times in this thread! Call me with any questions you might have, or just post them here! I am more than willing to help!

COS Mille
September 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Was not expecting a week-day. Checked with my boss today and can't get the time off to leave work and drop off the bike at the store. I'll stop by after work on my way home if I don't end up working late to help hand out information and answer questions. I had to choose between time on Thurs. or taking Friday to prep for the track.......
Sorry, understand your logic, just didn't expect the PM of a work day. I'll still help out as I can.

COS Mille
MRA 117

AR
September 12th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Was not expecting a week-day. Checked with my boss today and can't get the time off to leave work and drop off the bike at the store. I'll stop by after work on my way home if I don't end up working late to help hand out information and answer questions. I had to choose between time on Thurs. or taking Friday to prep for the track.......
Sorry, understand your logic, just didn't expect the PM of a work day. I'll still help out as I can.

COS Mille
MRA 117

Please take your time setting up!! I am a available to set-up and haul and whatever is needed!! Just let me know: 201-0110!!!

I can make the trip and drop your bike off whenever! Just let me know!!

Thanks!!

Aston

AR
September 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
So Glenn got me a small box of programs, SS info, 2-4-1 tix, as well as a SS banner and an MRA banner.

THANK YOU GLENN and JIM!!

I dropped about half of the 2-4-1 tix at my favorite local liquor store (2 miles from Ft. Carson Gate 20). The boys at the LQ store promised they'd push the tix like crazy. I also filled their empty newspaper stands with season programs.

The MOD at the LQ said there's no way I gave him enough tix. I'm not too sure I'm gonna have enough for Walmart on Thursday! I figure I will check the LQ while I'm on lunch tomorrow, and, if need be, attempt to get Eric at Apex to hook me up with some more.

I might end up talking to Eric tomorrow anyway... Got a proposal for him, a little QPQ. LOL.

As for bikes... I can do WMT with my two by themselves, but, again, if anyone can contribute, please call me so we can work it out.

Event is happening 1pm-5pm at the Walmart at 1575 Space Center Dr. It's the one on the corner of Palmer Park and Powers! The bikes will be parked INSIDE, between apparel and my registers!!

SHOW UP WITH YOUR BIKE AND CHECK IT OUT!

Aston

719-201-0110

AR
September 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Any chance we could get a better turnout if we were to do this Friday instead of Thursday?

The sudden lack of interest is making it look like a bad idea for me to be "on duty" at work when this is going on. If it's going to be a one man show, I need to be there on a day off to man the table, the bikes, and to talk to people.

Can anyone make it if we do this, say, Friday afternoon?

JimWilson29
September 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
The sudden lack of interest is making it look like a bad idea for me to be "on duty" at work when this is going on. If it's going to be a one man show, I need to be there on a day off to man the table, the bikes, and to talk to people.

Welcome to my world.

So Glenn got me a small box of programs, SS info, 2-4-1 tix, as well as a SS banner and an MRA banner.

THANK YOU GLENN and JIM!!

I dropped about half of the 2-4-1 tix at my favorite local liquor store (2 miles from Ft. Carson Gate 20). The boys at the LQ store promised they'd push the tix like crazy. I also filled their empty newspaper stands with season programs.

The MOD at the LQ said there's no way I gave him enough tix. I'm not too sure I'm gonna have enough for Walmart on Thursday! I figure I will check the LQ while I'm on lunch tomorrow, and, if need be, attempt to get Eric at Apex to hook me up with some more.

I might end up talking to Eric tomorrow anyway... Got a proposal for him, a little QPQ. LOL.

As for bikes... I can do WMT with my two by themselves, but, again, if anyone can contribute, please call me so we can work it out.

Event is happening 1pm-5pm at the Walmart at 1575 Space Center Dr. It's the one on the corner of Palmer Park and Powers! The bikes will be parked INSIDE, between apparel and my registers!!

SHOW UP WITH YOUR BIKE AND CHECK IT OUT!

Aston

719-201-0110

Aston- that is all the flyers and programs I have left. Some have to go to the Apex Sports Bike Night tomorrow night at Hooters so dont leave all of them in a liquor store.

graphite675
September 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Any chance we could get a better turnout if we were to do this Friday instead of Thursday?

Can anyone make it if we do this, say, Friday afternoon?

I really think you need to do this on a weekend but that's just my thoughts. I would love to help but I can't take off work to do this.
Also Friday is kind of pushing it with everyone getting ready for a race on Saturday.

This is a great idea but I think your planning is just off.

T Baggins
September 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
The sudden lack of interest...

Don't kid yourself Aston, it's not a "sudden lack of interest" by any stretch.

We've been fighting and begging for help all year and have had extremely low participation at these sorts of events. Unfortunately our spectator numbers and SuperStreet entries show very clearly that we're not getting the word out as effectively as we'd have hoped.

Our members simply can't understand how nobody in Colorado even knows about the MRA (though we've been around for over 30 years...) yet only a handful will get involved to help promote their OWN club. Now we're staring a big event losses and a very bleak outlook for Round #8.

I applaud your efforts and appreciate your enthusiasm more than you know. Please don't let the lack of enthusiasm of others dampen your spirit!

There's no way I can do anything Thursday, but If you can do it Friday afternoon, I'll just come up myself after I drop my rig and shit at PPIR. Can't tell you an "exact" time though, 'cause I have to take the kids to school, etc.

AR
September 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Tony, is there any chance you can drop one of your bikes off at the store on your way to PPIR?

I can help you get it to PPIR after we're done at Walmart.

I'm planning on running the event well into the afternoon! I would LOVE to have you there!!

THANK YOU!!

T Baggins
September 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I guess I could drop the ninja on the way down...?

T Baggins
September 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The Bike Event at Wal-Mart has been MOVED to Friday the 16th between 1:00 and 5:00 pm.

JimWilson29
September 14th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Aston, what is your plan to get everything to Erik Peat for tomorrow night? Can you go by Apex today or tomorrow and drop everything off?

AR
September 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Already talked to Erik.

We've got a plan.

DOUBLE A
September 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Sweet! Also be careful exposing yourselves in walmart, it was brought to my attention that that kind of thing is frowned apon! :lol:

JimWilson29
September 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Already talked to Erik.

We've got a plan.

I just got off the phone with Erik. He says he has not spoken with you and knows nothing about it.
I am coming down there to set up at Hooters tomorrow at 6:30. I need to know if I have to make the trip to come get the stuff from you or not.

AR
September 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I called Apex at 12:30, asked for Erik, waited on hold for 5 minutes, then spent 4 minutes speaking with Erik. I told him I would drop everything off at Apex on my lunch break tomorrow.

Apparently he has no recollection of our conversation.

Either way, that's my plan.

COS Mille
September 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM
AR
Damn, wish I was watching this forum instead of working!!! LoL. I worked OT yesterday, to get time off for Thurs PM........now not happening.

Again..... will do my best to be there on my way to the track on Friday afternoon. Will shoot for as close to 1:00 as I can. Might have to leave a bit early so I'm not setting up at PPIR in the dark.
Any requirements for fuel or not in the bike? I'll have my R6.

COS Mille

AR
September 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Again..... will do my best to be there on my way to the track on Friday afternoon. Will shoot for as close to 1:00 as I can. Might have to leave a bit early so I'm not setting up at PPIR in the dark.
Any requirements for fuel or not in the bike? I'll have my R6.
COS Mille

I would LOVE to have your bike there, whenever you can make it. Anytime around 1pm, later is fine! Feel free to cut out early! I will have plenty of folks on hand to help us load and unload.

Leave the fuel in the bike. This is cowboy, mad-merchant, Sam Walton "retailtainment" stuff right here. Everyone from my regional on down is into taking risks. The only direction I've received from my bosses has been "GO FOR IT!!" We'll just make sure we put our keys somewhere safe, turn our petcocks off, and watch the bikes like hawks.

The reason I wanted to do it on a weekday BEFORE the race at PPIR is to capitalize on your average person's poor planning. I'm not special in this respect. Planning is something I'm working on getting better at. A lot of folks don't make weekend plans, and, when you put something like this in front of them, they make the plans last minute and show up!

I want to thank everybody in advance for helping me pull this off. If we have my 125s, Tony's 250 (with the awesome paint!), and Mille's R6, we'll have some pretty cool hardware to persuade my customers into showing up.

I also want to learn from this experience and take it to the next level next year. I can get more stores involved. I know local-to-CoS journos who I could be persuaded into giving us some coverage. I love this sport! The fact that I'm doing it now is literally the fulfillment of a childhood fantasy.

I apologize for not doing more this season. I wish I would have volunteered more. I did a 4 hour event with Lilly and Wilson at a shop in Denver before the season started and was so nervous I could barely talk to people. I will do it better at Walmart. I love my customers and have great rapport with them. The store is truly my comfort zone.

Fastt Racing
September 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Aston Pm me your #. I am hoping to do some practice on Friday, then I may be able to rip up there for a couple hours. Not sure how early I will be able to leave yet, but I will call you if I am available.

T Baggins
September 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Aston Pm me your #. I am hoping to do some practice on Friday, then I may be able to rip up there for a couple hours. Not sure how early I will be able to leave yet, but I will call you if I am available.

Aston

719-201-0110

COS Mille
September 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Cool see you tomorrow. off to Hooters tonight.

COS Mille
September 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have the banners and hand outs from Eric. Will be there around 1 PM.

AR
September 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I am more nervous about putting some bikes on display where I work than I am about racing this weekend!

My plan is to show up to our morning meeting at 9:30am to tell my folks that today-is-the-day, and the race is this weekend. I am also going to announce that showing a Walmart Discount Card at the gate will ensure Walmart associates get in free. A GENEROUS DONATION TO THE CLUB WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY THEREAFTER (hundred dollar bills in Tony's hands).

I will then head home, snag my bikes, head back, clear our space, and set my bikes.

COME IN THROUGH THE "GM" (west) entrance, find me, and we'll get your bikes unloaded and placed.