PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Bikes w/ PitBull Trailer Restraints

nobasin
June 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
So I notice that the pitbull trailer restraints are just for the rear axle. Do people who use these on their trailers also use something like a Baxley chock up front then or what do people do to secure the front of the bike when transporting so it isn't bouncing around? I'm trying to avoid tie downs of any type anymore if possible.

Mike-

rybo
June 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mike,

I've used Strapless Transport Stands for years (a predecessor to the pitbull restraint) and no front chock was necessary in any way. In fact the bikes were so securely held I could place them closer to other bikes or the edge of the trailer with no fear of them going bad.

Everyone I know using them (or the pitbulls) are doing so without any other kind of tie down.

Both are good designs. If you decide to get the pitbull give Dave a call at STM suspension as he's a dealer for them now.

Scott

nobasin
June 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks Scott. I will definitely order from DR if he is a dealer as I am always down for supporting local businesses.

jrthomas646
June 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I used two Pit Bull trailer restraints in my old trailer. I initially had front wheel chocks (sp?) and left them in when I installed the Pit Bulls. I just used them as a guide mostly. I will say that when I took the chocks out that the front wheels would turn a little bit from the vibration, but they were still fastened securely by the PB's.

sheispoison
June 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I've been running one of these in my van for 3 years now and it's the best invention for bike transport ever. No need for anything on the front wheel, once it's in it's not moving. And no strain on the suspension at all. Worth every penny.
carl

nobasin
June 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
yeah, it is time to retire the tie downs. i can't believe i waited this long to do this. i have no doubt carl that they will be worth every penny, and they really aren't that expensive anyway in the scope of things. less than a single set of tires. thanks for all the info people. being ordered by dave rose as i type. :-)

mike-

jrthomas646
June 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM
They are most definitely worth every penny. That'll be the first thing I install if I ever get another trailer.

Let me know if you need any pins. I still have a set for a GSXR that you can have. They're in perfect condition.