PDA

View Full Version : Race sign up and number

KevEd614
June 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I am trying to get my bike ready for novice for round 3 at HPR, Jeff informed me that I can show up and sign up for a license and the novice races I want (I have completed the MRA school) Saturday morning. I also know that I need a racing number. Will this be assigned when I show up on Saturday, and if so, how can I put that number on my bike Saturday morning? Do I need a blank yellow number plate or do you have some kind of vinyl?

Thanks!

Kevin

Mforza
June 5th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I will do the blank yellow number plate and then just make the number from Duck tape for the first time. :)
That's what I did when I started :)
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/mforza/014.jpg

spideyrdr
June 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Welcome aboard Kevin! Electrical tape will probably work for your first weekend's race numbers but I'll let those more knowledgeable than myself confirm that. Just make sure you have the yellow area marked off either in paint or vinyl ahead of time in order to be kosher with the rules. I don't know if they have recently had to do manual scoring at HPR, but having your numbers clearly visible is required to ensure everyone is accounted for.

This season I actually used a design program to print out my numbers on paper to make a template and I then used an Xacto to cut my custom numbers out of black vinyl. If you are interested, I can help you out with it after this round and have some extra vinyl I could give you in exchange for a beer or something.

They don't really "assign" the numbers so much as let you pick from an available number. As a novice you will have a choice of an open number between 100 and 999. You can find a list of the racer numbers in use as of the beginning of the season at the end of the 2011 season program:

http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/11MRAProgramWeb.swf

Pre-pick a couple of your favorite options and I am sure the great MRA crew in the office will help you find a number. Me, my number 880 was my highschool football jersey number plus a zero. I might have been able to get my wedding date instead, but don't tell my wife!

See ya out there!

Jamie

rybo
June 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
kevin,

Please feel free to email me and we can work out a number in advance so that you can arrive prepared.

Scott

mracer69(at)gmail.com

Thanks

KevEd614
June 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I sent you an email Scott.

Spiderydr, do you have yellow vinyl for the plate as well as black for the numbers? I'd rather not paint the yellow on if I don't have to. I'll buy you a beer or lunch.

Thanks again!

Kevin

spideyrdr
June 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I sent you an email Scott.

Spiderydr, do you have yellow vinyl for the plate as well as black for the numbers? I'd rather not paint the yellow on if I don't have to. I'll buy you a beer or lunch.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Sorry, Kevin, I don't have any yellow. Last year I used some yellow vinyl I got at Performance and it worked 'ok' but was pretty thick. It's made for MX plates I think. Since it was thick, it was a little hard to lay on the curves of my bike but I got it to work.

This year I bought new race glass and decided to paint the yellow on. It really was not all that bad. $3 worth of Rust-o-leum safety yellow spray paint, an hour or so masking the area (I used electrical tape to do the fine edge and it worked great), and 2 coats later I was done. I am not good at that sort of stuff but it still came out ok, so if you have a couple of hours, I would recommend trying to paint the area.

Cheers!
Jamie

SOCAL4LIFE!!
June 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I use the stuff from Performance. It is a little thick and doesn't look the greatest. However, it does the job. I plan on using that until I get a new set of plastics and get them painted next year.