PDA

View Full Version : Launch Control

Clarkie
May 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Anyone play with the Launch Control feature that comes on the Powercommander PCV (ignition module) yet?

Pit lane speed limiters are cool to play with in pit lane, but the launch control sounds awesome, and useful :wink:

"Launch - This input is intended to be used as a launch control. You can set a target RPM to limit the bike to when the clutch lever is activated. Once the clutch lever is released full RPM can be achieved. This requires a wire be connected to the grounding side of the clutch switch and the other end into this input."

rybo
May 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
not this?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/countdown101.html

Clarkie
May 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Not quite as much of a rush, but way simpler :wink:

Technology is cool 8)

The GECCO
May 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
"Launch - This input is intended to be used as a launch control. You can set a target RPM to limit the bike to when the clutch lever is activated. Once the clutch lever is released full RPM can be achieved. This requires a wire be connected to the grounding side of the clutch switch and the other end into this input."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works, but wouldn't this mean that the engine wouldn't rev above that limit for rev matching when downshifting?

vort3xr6
May 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Keith Eastin has used it before and has some good feedback on it. Then again I watched his bike freak out and rev to the moon with both hands off the bike before! Scary.

dragos13
May 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works, but wouldn't this mean that the engine wouldn't rev above that limit for rev matching when downshifting?

Clarkie doesn't match revs 8)

I never blipped the throttle either, it's not 1985 any more so you dont need to, and that's not even talking about an OEM slipper clutch that any decent motorcycle has now days.

TRK
May 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Launch control :?:

Clarkie
May 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM

No idea, just saw it online. But yeah, I never blipped the throttle on downshifts. I actually tried blipping the throttle at the STAR School and it just seemed dumb :D

Shannon, is this technology SS legal? (opening a HUGE can of worms LOL :wink: )

Geoff85
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Sort of like traction control for the start it can be set up a lot of ways like going to full power at a given speed or when the clutch is full out. The basic idea is to let the rider hold the throttle pinned as the electronics adds the most power the launch can take working with the wheelie control. Fully legal for AMA sportbike but pretty complex to set up.

DOUBLE A
May 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
launch plans...... = dont loop your bike on the start! Mission complete :lol:

Clarkie
May 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks Goeff, I am sure the Factory electronics are a lot more complicated. For Stuart's bike, I wonder if it was installed and set up correctly as it's strange because the unit won't effect the throttle bodies or throttle input any way as far as I can tell. Just the rpm limit and is activated through the clutch switch.

TRK
May 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM

No idea, just saw it online. But yeah, I never blipped the throttle on downshifts. I actually tried blipping the throttle at the STAR School and it just seemed dumb :D

Shannon, is this technology SS legal? (opening a HUGE can of worms LOL :wink: )

If there are no add ons such as wheel speed sensors and it is something that is purely electronic I don' t see why it wouldn't be legal. I am sure it will it is something that will be/or is inside many of the OEM ECUs

Clarkie
May 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I totally agree, who would have thought 5 years ago production bikes like the new ZX-10 would have it stock off the showroom floor. It is one of the reason's Dynojet never got into the TC game as they new it was coming a year or so ago :wink:

Launch control is something that intrigues me, sure it will never be as good as the Factory launch control, but it's the same with commercial TC vs Factory/high dollar TC