PDA

View Full Version : help with suspension set-up

larbow
April 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have a 2009 yamaha R1 I'm going to have my forks re-sprung and revalved and my rear shock revalved. The bike with it's stock suspension handles alright, But it's like trying to wrestle a hog around the corners. I know that by going with better spring and valving should make an improvement. But does anybody know if there is a good starting point of shimming the rear shock to raise the rear to change the rake and help the bike turn better?

TRK
May 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Be specific. What is the bike doing?

Bartman
May 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I know it will sound weird but go as short as poss in the rear and tall in the front, you will never get the R1 to turn well in the stock config so just make it the best you can.

dragos13
May 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hey Bart maybe my geometry is backwards but wouldn't that increase rake thus making the bike harder to steer in?

JimWilson29
May 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
it would increase the trail

Throttleroller277
May 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I know it will sound weird but go as short as poss in the rear and tall in the front, you will never get the R1 to turn well in the stock config so just make it the best you can.

I second that......It does sound backward, but Bart is right.

Bartman
May 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
It sounds bassackwards I know but the R1s don't respond to what would be considered normal, I think the basic problem with the R1 is weight bias.

polar x
May 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Barts telling ya the 411 on it....mine was topped out with half the triple tree showing with the fork down in it, and lowered to the max in the back. IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. NIGHT and DAY..

davy4575
July 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Does that hold true for older ones too? My 03 feels like the rear is wayyyyyyy to tall and the front is really harsh on bumps and chop. Stock suspension

Bartman
July 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Its not the same chassis so no it won't work the same, they do feel a little stinkbuged but that is the way they are. I would try raising the front 5 mm and see how it feels.