PDA

View Full Version : Learning about race/track worthy bikes

sillisquid
April 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I just had my first trackday, thanks to the MRA race school. I did online homework to go with an sv650 to cut my teeth with. I have every intention of spending the next couple of years on it, to really learn how to ride on the track.

There are just so many bikes out there, each with their set of strengths and weaknesses. And character! Short of pestering everyone at a track day, what's the best way to educate myself on track bikes?

I know that the rider, and their skill is more important than the bike. And I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. But, I would like to get smarter, and not sound like a total newb, when talking to other riders.

Thanks!
Albert.

polar x
April 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Experience, Exposure, and training. Those things will bring you up to speed. Get on the track, talk to the racers and other riders out there and if your budget will allow, get some one on one track coaching with people like Mark Shellenger, Ricky Orlando, Brownie new rider rep.

Dont be shy and just do it. Welcome to family, the fun is just beginning. 8)

Clarkie
April 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Learning to ride a slow(er) bike fast, is a lot more valuable than getting on a fast bike and struggling for a couple of years, which is common in club racing. There are SV riders who regularly beat people on bikes that 'should' win as they are faster bikes, but better riders on smaller bikes win, Shannon Moham is a great example :wink:

It isnt drag racing, getting a bike slowed, turned, and being able to get back on the gas correctly is a skill not many people master, and having lots of power isnt helping them.

sillisquid
April 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm really not trying to get info on what bike I should upgrade to. I just want to learn about the other bikes that people ride.

Thanks for the responses so far.

rybo
April 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
First of all good choice on the first bike. The SV is one of the best choices you could have made.

What do people ride / race?

Over the years (and I'm a relative short timer here) my stable has included a variety of different bikes. Everything from little GP bikes to modern sportbikes. I've enjoyed some more than others and have come to that I like racing in the modern vintage classes the most. I also like having something a little weird / different, so I tend to gravitate towards those machines.

Here's the list for me.

FZR 400 (x2)
Honda RS125
Yamaha TZ125
Ducati 748
Yamaha R6

That being said I get my arse handed to me on a regular basis by Shannon on his SV, because he's a better rider than I am. I go into every season wanting to mount the challenge and as soon as I get close he steps it up another notch.

There's something for every bike out there. This club has a pile of R6's and GSXR's riding around along with an assortment of Ducatis, Aprilias, Triumphs and other less common stuff. If you can build it, you can probably race it. That being said, THAT you ride is way more important than WHAT you ride.

Welcome to the addiction. :)

davy4575
April 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Last year was my first year. If it helps, I did just that. I went around the pits and talked to everyone I could find. All were happy to discuss their bikes and setups, their strengths and weaknesses. I also got the opportunity to learn alot about tires, pit setup, ergos, and the tons of small things that help or hinder your fun. I found people to purchase things that I needed. I made alot of new friends out of doing so, and found alot of people that helped me and that I could help as well.