PDA

View Full Version : What the cuss is wrong with my bike?

Desmodromico
April 7th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ok all knowing MRA forum, I need some help. I started up the bike tonight and let it warm up so I could drain the antifreeze and flush with water and it puffed some blue smoke, not on startup but when warm it did it when I let off the throttle or when I revved it quickly.

Never did this last season at all, only things I have done around the motor are change coolant, clean out the airbox, reconnect the battery, tighten throttle cable, change the oil/filter with a different brand, and re-seal the alternator cover with a new gasket.

Is there any way the change in oil or filter could cause this? What about the seal of the alternator? (I used a small amount of RTV where the wires exit but was careful not to put too much that would get inside the case).

Bike has never misbehaved, should I run it Saturday or park it until I can take it in?

The GECCO
April 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I assume it's been sitting all winter? The valve guide seals are probably just dry and shrank a bit. When you let off the throttle is when the engine generates high cylinder/manifold vacuum, and oil will get sucked into the cylinder past the valve guide seals. Not to worry.

Desmodromico
April 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks, just being paranoid I guess, it will be at HPR tomorrow!

T Baggins
April 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
In the unlikely event that Glenn is wrong... please make sure there are no holes or cracks in your belly pan... :lol: