PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Hooker or a Baller???

d_mob
April 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
By "hooker" I mean do you hook your heel on the outside peg in turns or are you on the balls of your feet?

http://www.khulsey.com/motorcycles/sport_ama_superbike.jpeg

I'm a baller. I've been on the balls of my feet on the outside pegs, but have noticed that ALL of the fastest guys in the world are hookers (sorry, I can't think of another way to put it)... All joking aside, at the track yesterday I attempted to hook my heel and it seemed to relax my leg and body a bit, but changed my form drastically and slowed me down because I had to think about doing it.

Any of the more experienced guys have any insight/tips/pointers on this? I'm going to keep trying to force the heel hook and I guess it will continue to get easier.

I'm hoping that it allows me to be a bit less tense through turns and will also allow me to ride for longer (less fatigue/cramping).

Thoughts???

vort3xr6
April 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
hmm. I would like to hear from the fast dudes about this too. Sick of wearing holes in the soles of my boots.

phildrummond
April 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
I can't wait to see the feedback. I'm on my balls and my shins get fatigued on the outside of each leg. I've tried hooking my heels, but seems to take time to set up. When I try it, I can never get set up in time, so I end up in a worse place, neither hooked or on my balls. When my heels do get hooked, I feel like they can sling off at any moment, too.

HAMMER
April 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I try to hook for sure .. otherwise your putting to much pressures on the ball of your foot and you get all cramped up and tired fast ... but I do notice that in some switchbacks ( or one side full lean to the other ) I don't really have time to get the foot into the hook spot ... so I keep th ball on the peg ... like I said .. I try.. I like how it feels Wen your in the "right spot " as far a body position. I'm better goin left than right too.. kinda weird .. for some reason the same body position going right feels different to me ... maybe its cause I'm having to move the throttle so I have to keep my wrist loosened.... :?

HAMMER
April 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
<<<< Even my little icon pic is hooking .....Haha :lol:

Oh and I notice a nice "lock " between my inner knee ( stomp grip helps this ) and the peg so I can relax my body and arms and really dip into a good form . And you can use your body and arms to absorb some of the bumps in the track . Basicly using ur body as more suspension.. mini bike tricks

My inside foot is on the ball so I can pivot my leg out and press on the inside peg ... so your still gonna wear holes in your soles brad ... sorry

T Baggins
April 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
sorry mobster, had to edit your post... :lol:

I'm a baller too... can't imagine what it would do to my boot toes if I were a hooker. I'm on my balls of my feet to improve ground clearance.

I'll try it, but think I'll prefer balling over hooking.

JWinter
April 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I need to be a baller due to clearance. But I think I might try being a hooker to see if it helps with my leg fatigue.

This would be an interesting post if you didn't know what I was talking about?!

vort3xr6
April 3rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Remember this is the outside foot we are talking about. Pretty sure everybody had the ball for the inside foot.

TRK
April 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller
Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala
A caller gettin laid tonight.....................

I hit the HIIIGHWAY, making money the FLYYYY WAY
But there's got to be a BETT-ER WAYY!
A better way, better way, YEAH-AHHHH

I feel I can leverage the bike better, but I do wear holes in my boots. I end up smoking 2 or 3 sets of boots a year

DOUBLE A
April 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller
Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala
A caller gettin laid tonight.....................

I hit the HIIIGHWAY, making money the FLYYYY WAY
But there's got to be a BETT-ER WAYY!
A better way, better way, YEAH-AHHHH

I feel I can leverage the bike better, but I do wear holes in my boots. I end up smoking 2 or 3 sets of boots a year

LOLZ!!!!!

sikwitit
April 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm a hooker for sure. I need to be on my heals. It sets me up for every corner as far as shifting. It's too scetchy to be on the balls of my feet. I feel like my foot is going to slip off the pegs.

NossLou
April 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
a baller...size 13 feet...however I might give this a shot if I can clear my toes...changing quite a bit in my riding style this year

KFinn
April 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'm a hooker for sure. I need to be on my heals. It sets me up for every corner as far as shifting. It's too scetchy to be on the balls of my feet. I feel like my foot is going to slip off the pegs.Do do this because you asked the question using your mantra for your man crush?

"Should I hook or ball? Hmmm, WWSD?(What would Spies do) "

hahaha. Wes your man crush is astounding. ;) I'm just jealous! j/k.

davy4575
April 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting. Ill have to play around with that. Im a baller. Ive had my outside foot come off the peg a few times. Wondering if hooking would keep that from happening

cromer611
April 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM
im a hooker as far as my outside foot goes. by my outside leg which is gripping the tank is squeezing pretty hard.

i would guess that its a setup upon rearsets, cuz i was a baller for a while then i pulled my sets forward and started hooking. my calf cramps went away.

cromer611
April 12th, 2011, 12:37 AM
and im a hooker on colfax from time to time. gotta get tire money some how.

acrovixen
April 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
LOL@ Eric - So what you're saying is that people throw tires at you from time to time? :lol: Prolly what I'd do if you were trying to pick ME up on Colfax! :wink:

N1K
April 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
Started with ballin and there was just never enough time to ride for me to focus on changing it to be automatic and not work to move my feet.
Now that I'm on a break I'm hoping when I return that doing this and breaking some other habits will be easier.