PDA

View Full Version : 06 GSXR 600 slipper clutch help

vort3xr6
March 31st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Okay so a little background.

Last race of 2010, I went out for the 2nd practice session of the morning and my bike would not accelerate. It felt like my clutch was TOAST. Came in thinking I was screwed, but then I explained the symptoms to Louis Ortiz and his dad said I needed to adjust the slipper clutch.

Long story short, we took the clutch cover off, adjusted the screw on the slipper so it slipped "less" I think, and the bike was fine for the races. Actually felt more powerful than it did for half the season.

1. What exactly is the problem with the slipper? And why did it happen so "all of a sudden"?
2. We checked the clutch plates and they looked fine. Do I need new clutch plates?
3. Is this something that I need to adjust often?

Throttleroller277
March 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not a GSXR guy, but you certainly should measure the thickness of your clutch plate stack.

loujr
March 31st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Brad,

After I had that same issue and after I got a new clutch my pops talked with Jim Wilson who explained how it works...from what I gather its something you check often.

vort3xr6
March 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Brad,

After I had that same issue and after I got a new clutch my pops talked with Jim Wilson who explained how it works...from what I gather its something you check often.

Thanks Louis. It had been a while since that race and I was pumped with adrenaline so I couldn't remember ANYTHING your dad said!

JimWilson29
March 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM
Okay so a little background.

1. What exactly is the problem with the slipper? And why did it happen so "all of a sudden"?
2. We checked the clutch plates and they looked fine. Do I need new clutch plates?
3. Is this something that I need to adjust often?

1. Clutch is a wear n tear item like brake pads, tires, etc. The plates wear every time you engage and disengage it. As the plates get thinner, the back torque limiter aka slipper needs to be adjusted via the clutch pressure disc lifters. If not you will continue to get more slip until it gets to a point where it slips when applying the throttle.
2. You can't visibly look at the clutch plates and determine they are fine. You need to measure the thickness of the entire clutch stack.
3. I adjust mine every race weekend. Should only take you 5 minutes to do. Adjust the 3 lifters by loosing the locknut and then turning the lifter in until it stops and then back it out 2 to 2 1/2 turns depending on how much slipping you want.

loujr
March 31st, 2011, 01:55 PM
No problem....I think Jim just explained it a little better...

N1K
March 31st, 2011, 03:03 PM
That's the same procedure he had you do. That's cool that's how you adjust it. Pretty easy when you don't drop bolts anyways :wink:
Is this the same on most slippers or just Suzuki?? Wondering about my yo-yo

loujr
March 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah once adjusted DON'T drop the bolts :shock:

loujr
March 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah once adjusted DON'T drop the bolts :shock: