PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 250 setups

random hero
March 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Lets hear it guys... Looks like I'll be picking up a Ninja 250 this week for my girlfriend (and so I have something to race the ninja class with :P ). But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these bikes. Just curious what you guys are doing, and any tips-tricks in general.

Bueller999
March 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Check out the mods allowed and not allowed and figure what ever you can change will be changed. It isn't a big list but at minimum tires, full exhaust and jetting, as the stock setup up is woefully underpowered. You will need to be able to get it through tech (fluid containment) so it will be a challenge to keep it street-able. If you don't want to lowside on the left handers you may want to remove the kickstand bracket which means cutting off the mounting bracket.

random hero
March 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
It'll be track only... I'm just curious if you guys had preference on changing controls, etc... Is there a preferred jetting you guys have found?

T Baggins
March 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Steve at MadMoto has a complete conversion kit on the shelf, including bodywork... you may want to check with him before you run off and buy a bunch of stuff.

Mine has rearsets, clipons, levers, preload adjusters (cause they look cool...), front brake line, took the dash out and replaced with a simple tach, and will have raised ride-height in the rear. Oh, and an Area P Pipe...

Bart did the jetwork etc... so I'm not sure where we ended up.

That's awesome! Good to have one more 2fiddy on the track!

Bueller999
March 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Start scouring the different Ninjette forums, plenty of info in those, just remember that they are filled with a lot of 16-20ish year olds, and this is their first bike (learn from their mistakes), but also guys that have been around the block a few time and have a lot of good info. Most have sub forums for racing and/or performance tunning.
As Bart has stated here, on each of the Ninjas he has tuned, the jetting is specific to each bike even with identical setups.
I have been tuning and testing @ IMI since this class was first announced.

There will probably not be a huge amount of secrets revealed here as it is spec racing and every little bit counts so unless you want to pay to have someone build/tune your bike you will probably be better off doing some research. Hell building the little turd is almost as much fun as riding it! :wink:

random hero
March 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Start scouring the different Ninjette forums, plenty of info in those, just remember that they are filled with a lot of 16-20ish year olds, and this is their first bike (learn from their mistakes), but also guys that have been around the block a few time and have a lot of good info. Most have sub forums for racing and/or performance tunning.
As Bart has stated here, on each of the Ninjas he has tuned, the jetting is specific to each bike even with identical setups.
I have been tuning and testing @ IMI since this class was first announced.

There will probably not be a huge amount of secrets revealed here as it is spec racing and every little bit counts so unless you want to pay to have someone build/tune your bike you will probably be better off doing some research. Hell building the little turd is almost as much fun as riding it! :wink:

Would it matter if I said it'd be for my girlfriend.. she'll be racing w/you guys, not me :lol:

random hero
March 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
anyone have contact info for Steve @ mad moto?

mkdiehl
March 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
http://www.madmoto1.com/

I'm going there with mine....

random hero
March 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Well you guys have another "ninja cup" racer, not sure if it'll be me or Alicia, but one of us will be racing it this year... Ended up buying the conversion kit from Mad-Moto, SUPER guy to deal with... made it too easy to spend a lot of $$.

Something was brought up, does this bike need to have a steering damper mounted to be race legal?

rybo
March 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Well you guys have another "ninja cup" racer, not sure if it'll be me or Alicia, but one of us will be racing it this year... Ended up buying the conversion kit from Mad-Moto, SUPER guy to deal with... made it too easy to spend a lot of $$.

Something was brought up, does this bike need to have a steering damper mounted to be race legal?

Luke,

No, the ninja 250 is exempt from the steering damper requirement. Be sure you brush up on the rules for the class to make sure that you don't disqualify yourself. There is a list of acceptable changes that can be made to these bikes. If the item is NOT on that list then changing it is NOT legal.

Steve at Mad-Moto is GREAT to deal with. Good choice there!

Scott

T Baggins
March 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Awesome, the grid continues to grow!

Glad Steve was able to hook you up! Easy Peasy!

No damper required for 250's... here's the 2011 rule updates till the new rulebook is finished:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12343

random hero
March 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Another quick question.... if Alicia decides to race this year, what classes can she ride that 250 in? I know there is some concern w/closing speeds and bigger machines....

Oh, INTENSE!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/randomhero472/photo6.jpg

peteyt328
March 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Nice Luke! Is she gonna take the school or get her license through super street?

findgold
March 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Check out the mods allowed and not allowed and figure what ever you can change will be changed. It isn't a big list but at minimum tires, full exhaust and jetting, as the stock setup up is woefully underpowered. You will need to be able to get it through tech (fluid containment) so it will be a challenge to keep it street-able. If you don't want to lowside on the left handers you may want to remove the kickstand bracket which means cutting off the mounting bracket.

I have been running/racing my 02 and/or 04 ninjettes down south (Arroyo Seco) for a few months now. been running them box stock except for gearing and tires.

Being old fat and slow the only thing that I have been touching down are the foot pegs and touching the pipes a little..The stands have been removed but I have not had any trouble grinding the kickstand bracket yet...

I can hardly wait till May and a chance to race my little Ninjette with you folks in a race where the bikes are more equal..and skill is the key..for the most part.

Loren Jury aka findgold ASMA #17 :mrgreen:

Bueller999
March 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
A telling pic, notice K/S bracket
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/surrealfusion/08-29-2010%20ECR%20CMRA/23706535-S8190470.jpg

random hero
March 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Nice Luke! Is she gonna take the school or get her license through super street?

Not real sure yet... we'll see how comfortable she is come race school time, and go from there. I bought everything to race prep the bike, but for now I'm leaving it street legal and we'll be riding daily after work. She's very determined to get the hang of this!

findgold
March 17th, 2011, 09:22 AM
A telling pic, notice K/S bracket
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/surrealfusion/08-29-2010%20ECR%20CMRA/23706535-S8190470.jpg

Very nice.. My style is more old school. Call me old fat and slow..and as I said my old Ninjette is box stock pipes and all.

I have ground a bunch off of the pegs and am touching down the pipes..not sure as of yet how close I am getting to sidestand bracket.
I have done nothing to change shocks and springs so far..Budget racing don't ya know..

Can hardly wait to get a chance to head up your way and race in your new 250 class.

see ya in May..the good Lord willing..

oldtimer
March 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Another quick question.... if Alicia decides to race this year, what classes can she ride that 250 in? I know there is some concern w/closing speeds and bigger machines....

Luke she can race a lot of classes that don't have crowds of big bikes!

Of course she should be running 250 Cup (250's only) which runs twice every weekend. Then she could add LOR, Colorado Class, and LWGP. That's 5 sprint races a weekend without even venturing into LW Endurance or the middleweight Nov and Am classes.