PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo Motorsports Park in the news!

JimWilson29
March 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
We announced this last night at the MRA General Meeting but if you haven't heard, check this out- http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/council-to-spend-on-racetrack/article_7c52005a-4adc-11e0-98e5-001cc4c002e0.html

giovannir6
March 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
SICK

oldtimer
March 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm thrilled that Pueblo is being repaved! Our VP of Rules & Tech Bart is our representative on the CMC, he's been keeping us informed of this exciting development. Great job supporting the improvements at Pueblo!

T Baggins
March 10th, 2011, 03:59 PM
We were the first group to race on it when it was last paved (or mostly paved) back in 1997...

OM'effinG it was AWESOME!

Congrats to the City Council for taking back control of the facility 2 years ago, and for approving the funding for necessary improvements to make it something to be proud of once again!

Let's all show our appreciation by showing up en-masse to the September round, and attending their Lapping Days between now and then...

KFinn
March 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It was and is great news.....

Will we be able to get updates as to when they plan to make improvements and what the planned improvements will be? when they get that far along in their planning and such that is. Will the KAMA board or MRA have any input as to what they do with the funds?

Any chance they can relocate the drag strip boxes or anything like that?

Will they do the right thing and keep the track closed long enough for things to cure so it doesn't get hosed up again right away?

I am sure many of us have these questions floating around....
:?:

T Baggins
March 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM
If I understand it, the paving won't happen till after this season - so curing time won't be an issue. That's too bad that we won't get to run on it this year... but prudent in the long run.

CMC has some say over releasing the funds based on completion of improvements - but not as much on what the improvements are as I'd have hoped.

The entire surface, including the drag boxes will be replaced. We are lobbying to have the entrance to Turn 10 moved to the SW so that it's a button-hook type turn and you're completely done turning and upright way before getting to the burnout area and the wall in 10.

Last time they did a complete(ish) pave job, it was done very well.

All good news imo...

KFinn
March 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
If I understand it, the paving won't happen till after this season - so curing time won't be an issue. That's too bad that we won't get to run on it this year... but prudent in the long run.This much I figured, I didn't expect them to do it ASAP with the amount of planning and cash they'd loose doing peak season.

The entire surface, including the drag boxes will be replaced. Wicked!!!!!

We are lobbying to have the entrance to Turn 10 moved to the SW so that it's a button-hook type turn and you're completely done turning and upright way before getting to the burnout area and the wall in 10.
That or can the box be moved back behind the turn on its own starting section so that the 60 foot mark is where our turn joins... either would be nicer.

All good news imo...agreed. anything is better than nothing.

JimWilson29
March 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
It was and is great news.....

Will we be able to get updates as to when they plan to make improvements and what the planned improvements will be? when they get that far along in their planning and such that is. Will the KAMA board or MRA have any input as to what they do with the funds?

Any chance they can relocate the drag strip boxes or anything like that?

Will they do the right thing and keep the track closed long enough for things to cure so it doesn't get hosed up again right away?

I am sure many of us have these questions floating around....
:?:

CAMA (Colorado Amatuer Motorsports Association) is the entity that built and manages High Plains Raceway, which the MRA is a member. They have nothing to do with Pueblo Motorsports park.
Tony beat me to the rest!

loujr
March 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
That is great news!!! I have always enjoyed the windy canopy killer we all know and love...now if we can just get them to get the track rental back to normal so we can go there more than once!!!!!!!

Bartman
March 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
The deadline for all the track improvements is next april, however what happens when and in what order we don't yet know. The CMC does have some control over what will be done, there are things that must be done for us to give the money to PMP.
In talking to experts on the council asphalt could go up as much as 20% by years end so it might happen quicker than we think just so the money we have will get the job done.
Right now it is all up in the air but it will happen and it will be a return of what was our best track until HPR came around and if you look around the country at the other clubs who only have one track we are very lucky.
With HPR PMP and Pikes we could start to maybe attract more out of town racers and see the return of some of our older racers just to run a top flight Pueblo again.
I will keep you all posted as to new developments as they come but it looks very good indeed.
Thanks Bartman

neh
March 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
That is great news!!! I have always enjoyed the windy canopy killer we all know and love...now if we can just get them to get the track rental back to normal so we can go there more than once!!!!!!!

Normal? It won't be normal for us cheapskates any more. The money from the city is a loan, and will have to be paid back. So the rental of the track will go up. And it will stay up to keep the facility from deteriorating into it's current state.

Unlike in years past, the advisory board is composed mostly of road racers, the other management entities leaned heavily toward the drag strip.

loujr
March 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I understand, I just really love going to pueblo to race and unfortunatly we only go once in 2011....hopefully this improvement will help draw more racers to help off set the cost. 8)

Bartman
March 12th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Normal? It won't be normal for us cheapskates any more. The money from the city is a loan, and will have to be paid back. So the rental of the track will go up. And it will stay up to keep the facility from deteriorating into it's current state.

Unlike in years past, the advisory board is composed mostly of road racers, the other management entities leaned heavily toward the drag strip.

Yes the rental will go up but it makes sense to pay the normal going rate if the track is in proper condition, the current track is not worth what we pay a HPR or Pikes but once it is paved it will. Even once it is paved they will not be able to charge more than normal market rate or no one will come and I think they are starting to get a clue about that and as long as PMP is run proper paying back the loan will be no problem.
I am so excited to run a good Pueblo again, it was our best track for many years and going back with it new again is going to be way effin cool.

loujr
March 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
going back with it new again is going to be way effin cool.

Agree!!!!!!!! 8)

neh
April 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
A little update, preliminary news was that they were going to pave the drag strip first. But with all the stuff needed to get the contracts nailed down, all the paving won't begin until the fall. They will get it done all at once.

random hero
April 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
A little update, preliminary news was that they were going to pave the drag strip first. But with all the stuff needed to get the contracts nailed down, all the paving won't begin until the fall. They will get it done all at once.

so this means we'll race it this year in it's current condition (Track surface) ?

N1K
April 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
That's outstanding. I really like pmp.