PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli Superbike slicks or Michelin Power Race DOT's?

jbnwc
February 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
If you could race on Pirelli slicks manufactured in '06 or Michelin Power Race DOT's from '08, which would you use? Will the slicks still be better even if they are 5 years old? Assume all the tires have been stored properly.

jbnwc
February 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
...and price is not a factor.

Bartman
February 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM
A newer tire will almost always be better but will one be better than the other for you is a question only you can answer. They handle completely different.

jbnwc
February 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Well the bike is new to me so I'll have to sort out the handling this summer regardless of tire choice, but it's a fat heavy pig so I want to get as much grip as possible.

rybo
February 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Jason,

As a general statement:
Both are great tires that will likely offer more grip than you can use.

As a more specific statement:
There really isn't enough info here to make a decision. I race on michelins and ran the Power Race in 08. There were at least 6 rear tire compounds to choose from that year, some of them worked really well, others were less good. There were also at least three fronts, and only one of them really seemed to work well.

I know a lot less about the pirelli, but know that their superbike slicks come in multiple compounds, some of which will work well at our tracks and some that won't.

If price isn't a factor talk with our race tire vendors about what they have for you. Running a tire that they know a lot about yields great feedback from them at the track when you have a handling problem, or are looking for that "little bit more". Asking them to remember what they did 5 years ago with a specific tire to make it work is harder for sure, especially since when those tires were made we didn't race at two of the tracks we're racing at in 2011.

I think you have my number, please feel free to give me a call if you want to talk more about this.

Scott