PDA

View Full Version : STM (Single Track Mind) Suspension "sponsorship"

irdave
February 15th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hello.

I don't think sponsorship is quite the right word- perhaps 'suspension package' is a better offering.

I'm offering to support you at the track, INCLUDING FRIDAYS, maintain the basics of your suspension, and help with all suspension/chassis issues.

What you get:

2 basic fork services (2 @ $80 = $160)
1 shock service (1 @ $150 + seals and fluid)
Initial set-up of motorcycle at the track ($75)
Follow up help throughout the season for suspension/chassis issues
Trackside support throughout the season, including Fridays (used to be $60/weekend...)
**This means that over the course of the season, you don't pay at the track for my help. Grab me as I'm walking by, tell me the problem, we work to find a solution, you ride, we reevaluate, you ride more until it's good. No new out of pocket service prices.**

What I need from you:

Run my stickers
Have all suspension work done through me
Purchase your suspension parts and products through me (at discount)
Genuinely try to help me grow my suspension business
$500

dragos13
February 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
What I need from you:

Run my stickers
Have all suspension work done through me
Purchase your suspension parts and products through me (at discount)
Genuinely try to help me grow my suspension business
$500

Dave, sucks to hear the sponsorship plan has changed from what was originally discussed. I do have a question about the list above. Do we pay you $500 cash upfront and you will perform the services listed below?

2 basic fork services (2 @ $80 = $160)
1 shock service (1 @ $150 + seals and fluid)
Initial set-up of motorcycle at the track ($75)
Follow up help throughout the season for suspension/chassis issues
Trackside support throughout the season, including Fridays (used to be $60/weekend...)

irdave
February 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, Casey, that's correct. You would pay the money up front and receive the service for the season... We change the fluid in the shock and fork before the start of the season so that we know everything is fresh to start (and once again for the the fork midseason for the same reason), get the basic set up working properly (or figure out what we need to do to solve the problem), and then you would get trackside support for the rest of the season for the already paid price- nothing more. I know several people were cautious as to how much of my time they've taken up in the past- worrying about when they should pay, how much they should pay- whatever. I've tried to eliminate that by getting over that obstacle to start- then the people I'm working with can stop me whenever they have a question without worrying about the money thing.

I'm curious as to how you think this was different- I thought we had discussed paying for a couple of fork services, a shock service, buying suspension stuff through me and a little to help offset the cost of being at the track for a full weekend- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...

Throttleroller277
February 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
So... said rider pays upfront for 2 Basic Fork Services.....

What if said rider gets injured, or totals their bike at round 2, and is unable to race for rest of the season? (not to wish anything bad on anyone, but it does happen).... is there a refund policy on place?

irdave
February 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Jeff, there's not currently a refund policy in place, but it's been a while since I've been accused of being unreasonable.

I remember all the bull-shit with Marcus... I'm not looking to screw anybody out of their money.

And like I said before, I'm trying to get the money part out of the way and done with- I hate making it about the money but I can't afford to go to the track and support everyone in the MRA out of pocket. Y'all are cute and all, but not that cute.

I don't think the price is extraordinary. On the contrary, how many people running around the MRA paddock can actually help almost everyone have quicker lap times? (And those I don't, I think that's more personality conflict than anything.) How many people there actually understand what's going on with the motorcycle and can explain it in such a manner as to allow you, the rider, to understand and use that knowledge to go faster?

On the other hand, say you and I work together this season. If we end up spending countless hours chasing a 'suspension/set-up' "problem" that turns out to be a cracked/bent frame or whatever, should you be expected to pay extra?

Clarkie
February 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I have worked with a few different suspension including Dave, and trust me there is a lot of time spent just discussing ideas and trouble shooting issues. I know I have taken a lot more time than I actually paid for just trying to understand what the bike was doing. If I had to actually pay by the hour for the time discussing thing with a suspension tuner I wouldnt have been able to afford to race.

To me, suspension is a lot more comlex than tuning a bike as once the bike is tuned it is pretty close from then on out. Suspension changes with each track, tire type or compound, the ambient and track temp, and pace as which I rode at, which meant as I got faster new problems became aparent.

If you set your bike up to do 1.45's (just a number), and you want to do 1.40's the bike needs a new setup as the current setup may not be able to do a faster time. The trick is to always try and set your bike to go 2-4 seconds a lap faster than you are currently doing, and that is where a Suspension Tuner's knowledge and experience comes in. I have hit a wall with lap times before, then gone a different direction with my setup (suspension, gearing etc) and dropped 2 seconds a lap without trying any harder. My setup to do 1.29's and 1.30's at Pueblo was in a completely different direction to do 1.32's on the same track and day.

racedk6
February 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Dave is there a limit to how many people will be able to do this.

Why im asking is because it does get a bit frustration trying to find the guy thats going to be helping you out after you come back on track!

Lets face it everybody that is at the track offering help usually ends up being extremely busy.

irdave
February 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Hi.

Yeah, actually we've already reached the limit. I am very pleased to be working with the people I'll be working with this season.

Thank you all for your interest. Please remember that this was about trackside service. I'm still an authorized Ohlins dealer as well as I offer valving from GP Suspension- and I keep Ohlins wear items and seals in stock (and have a vacuum bleeder to more properly service the Ohlins dampers) and keep Penske seals (and shims and pistons and about anything else Penske) in stock.

Thank you all again.

Dave.

vort3xr6
February 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM
We can still get suspension work done through you even if you are at the maximum for sponsorship correct?

irdave
February 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
We can still get suspension work done through you even if you are at the maximum for sponsorship correct?

Absolutely! Suspension is all I do! I'm just not taking any more tuning work during race weekends- I'm planning on making the Chicane Track Days- so if someone wanted some help, that might be a good way to go about it. I need to work it out with Scott, but I might be available during his days for little to no charge- just as an added benefit of attending one of his track days.