PDA

View Full Version : The right way or wrong way, is there really a 'right' way?

Clarkie
February 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
There are a lot of new or newish racers which is a great thing in the MRA, and as when I first started racing (yeah a long, long time ago) I was hungry for information and advice. One of the things I leaned very quickly was that something that worked for one of my friends didn't necessarily work for me. It could be gearing, tires, race lines, even body position.

We all have different backgrounds in motorcycles and mine was in Motocross and Supercross, I used to think road racing was stupid as there wasn't any sweet jumps to go off :D We should all be hungry to keep looking for advice, we don't know it all and even in my final year of racing in 2008 I was learning a lot every time I went on track. Complacency will just get you beaten, maybe even worse. People have different motivations for racing, some want to go as far as they can in the sport, for some it is a release from work/life, others just are out there having a blast and while they don't care if they win or not, everyone wants to improve.

I always rode elbows out and had my bars pretty far forward, that style came from Motocross and it worked well for me, other racers who keep their elbows closer to the tank found a position and riding style that works for them. Is one way better than the other? No, it's all about a racer being comfortable and confident of the bike.

The same is true with different types of body position, you will see some guys who drag their elbows and others who barely get off the bike. In the mid 90's riders didn't get off the bike as far as some do now, it doesn't mean they were slower comparatively, they did what just worked for them. Mick Doohan was all crossed up on the bike, but he was kind of fast. So if someone that isn't your racing coach, tells you that you HAVE to get off the bike further, remember it might work, it might not. I think riders should experiment with their riding style to see what works best for them. For me, the position of my head was important, but I also focused on keeping my spine straight, it's what worked for me. I used to think I had to keep my head behind the screen at all times, but get my butt off the seat and in the process my back was all twisted up. I looked, learned, and found my style. It was 'my' way, not the 'right' way.

I started off racing GP bikes in Aussie and then the 250 Aprilia Cup Series over here, when I raced Aprilia RSV1000's my riding style evolved a lot. I used to go through a set of knee sliders every weekend on the 250's but it got to the point where on my GSX-R1000 they would last half the year, racing in Arizona, Utah and Colorado which was something like 24 events. A different bike, a different style and that's not a bad thing.

With race lines, some riders have a point and shoot approach, others have a huge mid corner speed. One style may suit a certain track more than another, each approach has pro's and con's but once again, different riding styles may work for everyone differently. Gearing is another big one, you tend to sit around discussing things with your friends about the track or your bike. But remember, while we all know different bikes have different internal gear ratio's, every brand of tire is a different circumference and profile as well changing the final drive ratio to the ground not only in a straight line, but in a corner. The same is true when you go from a 180 tire to a 185, 190, 195 or 200 tire, it changes and a 180 in one brand may be different to a 180 in another brand. It comes back to riding style and corner approach, two riders on the same bikes, and same tires could go through a corner differently requiring the rpm to be different. When I used to race Shane Turpin, we were both on very similar bikes, both very close in speed and it was usually a coin toss as to who won. We used different brands of tires but we were sometimes 2 teeth different on the rear sprocket, the tire profile was pretty similar. Who had the 'right' gearing? We both did, we each used the best gearing that worked for the way we attacked the track.

While I don't think there is a 'right' way or 'wrong' way to do anything on a race track, I think everyone should be open minded enough that they try different things until they find something that works well for them on the bike they are riding. You might see some racers just do a ton of laps in practice, but usually the smart riders are working through a process of changing things while they ride. It can be as simple as targeting a corner, or a sector of the track until they nail it then move on to a different section of they track. I used to also be in and out of the pits changing my suspension until it was right. Something to remember, is very seldom do you get the entire track spot on. I usually set my bike up so it was awesome through 90% of the track and I always had one or two corners it was just 'ok' through. Not bad, but just not as good as it could be. It's about give and take, and I would rather have 90% of the track as good as I could get it and 10% just ok, than have 50/50.

I have worked with a few people and during a practice session asked them how hard they were pushing, if the answer is anything less than 80% I tell them to go out and push at 95%. Why? The bike will react differently at race pace than trackday pace, the tires, the suspension, even the gearing is different at race pace. If you are just doing lap after lap at 60% all you are doing is burning fuel and using up your tires. People say they are just learning the track at 60%, well things happen differently at higher speeds and it also gets your brain up to speed quicker. Our brains process things differently at different speeds and if you get your brain used to working at 'race pace' faster, the easier is becomes to slow things down mentally at speed, but that is another subject, sort of like rpm management :wink:

For years people used the excuse of "They just have more power than me" when they were beaten by another rider, maybe the other rider just worked on their program better than you did. Maybe while you were shooting the shit with your friends they were taking notes, making plans, changing things on their bikes. 10 years ago the power a bike made was a huge advantage, now the all make good power and they all handle really well out of the box which means it comes down to the rider more. Think, change things, come up with a game plan, don't just do laps.

Bueller999
February 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing 8)

Jon
February 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I've seen it all my racing career as everyone who's going faster than the lowly club racer's either cheating, got a faster bike or anything but just simple out riding them.
I learned quite a while back that one (insert me here) should really spend time critiquing themselves and their riding, maybe take a notebook and take some notes, go to a corner and watch, maybe even have someone go to a corner and watch them and that "faster" rider before blaming their lack of speed on any of the above.
In essence I admit to bad habits, bad set up or bad lines st times but have found solace in always working to improve even at my ripe old age. That's where the seasoned veteran finds enjoyment and it's what keeps us old farts and many of the new farts that should realize if they hadn't already that there's but a few make it in this game and the best you can hope for at the end of the days a hat full of tricks and a whole hell of a lot of stories.

KFinn
February 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Excellent write up Aaron. I know that took some time to write. +2 = Thank you for sharing.

Clarkie
February 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I totally agree Jon, rather than people suck it up and admit the other racer either had a better set up or just rode better than they did, they make excuses. Smart riders learn, and never stop learning :wink:

Clarkie
February 14th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Excellent write up Aaron. I know that took some time to write. +2 = Thank you for sharing.

A couple of galsses of good NZ Pinot wine and it just seems to flow Kevin :D And yes, while there is good wine in our house, the rambling's of Clarkie will continue! LMAO

KFinn
February 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I think that learning can be one of the best things in life. I enjoy always taking something new on.

Even though I am not a big fan of classroom, book work, formal education as much as some people. I personally prefer hands on. But I do see some of the good points to structured, formal education.

KFinn
February 14th, 2011, 09:50 PM

A couple of galsses of good NZ Pinot wine and it just seems to flow Kevin :D And yes, while there is good wine in our house, the rambling's of Clarkie will continue! LMAOHaha.... too funny.... I am also drinking some wine..... of course I wouldn't call it all that good. Its cheap mediocre stuff that I was trying for the first time. But, for now, a light buzz is still the same. Gotta go pour that 2nd glass now.

froth
February 15th, 2011, 07:14 AM
To be sure, Clarkie. When asked about why I can't beat Mohammer even when he's slid off the track in endurance, the answer is "Because he's faster than I am."

To your point about motivation, fun has always been the factor for me. Due to health reasons, I am will only be racing off road, which to me will be a trail ride with 200 friends that want to ride faster than me :P .

C U out there!

jmaher
February 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
That is a great write up. As one of the newer racers, I am trying to figure out what works better for me. I know seat time is a biggie, but like any sport, practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. That said, I am sometimes unsure what changes to try and would rather try things based on the experience of others. The actual track time helps, but the bike set-up is where I get a little lost. If I move the bars up and in, what does that do? What am I feeling for? It is in this area that I ,and I am sure other new racers would like to find some help.

Joe

Clarkie
February 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
To me it has always been about being comfortable on the bike. I have bad/broken wrists from years ago, so having the bars further forward were easier on my wrists and as I said I grew up racing MX/SX so bars further forward just felt better than me. By further foward I only mean about an inch further forward than the stock postion at the end of the bar.

If you want to try moving your bars make a mark on the clamp and forks (I used a punch to mark them or you can do it with a sharpie) and rotate them about 4-5mm at the clamp. Make sure you mark where they were before so you can go back to where they were if you dont like the change. It's also a good idea to make sure your bars wont hit the upper fairing as that is kinda bad :)

To make sure I had clearance between my bars and my brake or clutch master cylinder and reservoir, I actually used to reduce my bar to bar lock by simply putting a piece of wheel weight on the frame where the lower tripple clamp tabs were to stop the bars from turning. On the track it isnt noticeable, but watch it in the pits as you wont have the turning radius you used to have before. Some bar makers actually also have the bars adjustable or use an eccentric so you can rotate them forward, back, up and down easily.

Something I always did with my bike setup, seat, bar postion etc, was to make it easy to make the bike do the work instead of having to do it myself. Having my bars further forward gave me more leverage on the bars making it to actually turn the bike/bars/front wheel easier. That whole physics thing :wink:

I was never a 'drag my elbows' type of rider and there were times where I would almost be on top of the bike in a fast left, right, left transition. It felt easier for me to push the bike over from side to side than for me to get from one side of the bike all the way to the other side and back again. Again this was just my way, not the right way :D

sheispoison
February 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I push my bars out from the stock position as well, but not because I ever rode moto, but because my arms and legs are long and when they were in the stock position I would be all cramped up and my wrists were extremely uncomfortable.
I agree 100%, if you're not comfortable, you're not going to be as fast, you'll be worrying about why things don't feel good.

benfoxmra95
February 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
commonly overlooked: leather fitment.

if your fighting your leathers, your wasting precious energy that could be used for that last lap charge.

i have seen some leather companies leathers that are so thick that bending your arms and knees takes a lot of effort. if your in your leathers like the kid from "christmas story" and you can barely move you've got a problem.

kangaroo is very pliable.

Clarkie
February 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Without a doubt Ben. When I got my custom kangaroo leathers made in Aussie in 2000, it hurt to stand up and my voice went up an octave, but when I was in a racing position they fit like a glove. If you see someone walking around in a hunch with their leathers on, chances are they are actually the right size for them.

davy4575
February 17th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Nice write up! I really appreciate any info I can get. I asked a shitload of questions last year, observed and tried alot of diferent concepts. I soak up information like a sponge, and will do so again this year. I usually figure that me being slower than I want to be is due to the rider, but bike set up has a lot to do with it as well I think. Everything was so new to me and such a huge unlearning of 20 years of street riding that I didnt do much with the bike last season. This season I want to dial in things on the bike instead of just living with it and assuming its a problem with me.

Every lap I turn is done with a purpose, weather its a drill, progression or reference. Id come back in and check with you guys that have been doing this a while. Rest assured Ill be pestering you guys with questions this season as well. Of all the things I value most of racing and sharing a track with you all is learning.

Bartman
February 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
So if we all chip in we can get Clarkie a whole lot of wine, it will make good reading for the rest of us. If we get him enough who knows what will come out.

Mark Schellinger
February 25th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Aaron/Guys

I am and always have been a big guy.
I moved my bars back to reduce the leverage.
I never was at a lack of mass to get the bike to change direction.
I wanted less leverage so that when the bike needed to wiggle I
wouldn't be all up on top of it to stop a wiggle.
Just stayed on the gas :D

Right/Wrong

Just like you said "it can be different and still work"