PDA

View Full Version : What class do I run?

High Roller
February 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,

Read the rule book a few times and I'm looking for some clarification on what class(s?) i'm eligible for this year . Some background on me- I have never raced with the MRA or another organization but I have completed one (soon to be two) Yamaha Champion Riding schools. I have a fully prepped R6 (danny anderson old bike) which does have a built motor which i understand limits me some. The only other modifications that are possibly limiting is that I have an ohlins 30mm internals for the stock forks and ohlins rear shock. What classes am I eligible for this year? any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Louis

ZiaThunder
February 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Louis.

You'll be a novice, so you can race in MW endurance, Nov GTO, and Nov GTU

JimWilson29
February 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Louis,

Riding an R6 as novice, you would be eligible to run Novice GTU and GTO, and Amatuer GTU and GTO. You could also run up to 2 endurance classes such as Middlewight and Heavyweight Endurance. The fact that you have a built R6 will not limit you until you become an Expert and run Supersport classes.

Jim

High Roller
February 14th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Great guys,

Thanks so much for the input! When is everybody start breaking out of hibernation and get to the track for some track days? Also when will the race weekend(s) schedule be posted?

Thanks again,
Louis

dragos13
February 14th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Welcome to the club!

Here is the race weekend schedule:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11995

In the same "Club Announcement" section you will also find the Race Day schedule so you can get an idea of what classes are at what times.

Definetly start off running both Nov and both Am classes. These classes allow pretty much unlimited mods.

You will also need to sign up for the race school and that form can be found here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10953

As a Novice, you will have to pick a 3-digit race number. Enter up to 3 choices as many are already taken.

Let us know if you have any further questions :)

Throttleroller277
February 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the MRA Louis!! Nice choice with Danny's bike!

I look forward to meeting you. Let me know if you have any questions: 303-210-0425.

High Roller
February 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks!

Danny was very truthful on the sale of his bike. I looked for a bike for about a year and saw some that simply made my stomach turn. I finally came to the conclusion I’d be building my own and then Danny’s bike popped up. I've been through the bike twice (I’m very particular) and it was 100% as described and the only things I have changed is to suit my personal preference. I think I am about through suspension changes, (185 suited up, Danny’s about 155, he’s a little ninja) now it's on to re-mapping the bike. It seemed a somewhat "flat" in some areas, I’ve always tuned my own vehicles so I’ll see if I can get it any better. I paid Danny an extremely fair price for the bike but even so I appreciate him getting me off to a great start with this machine.

Throttleroller227, I just saved your phone number. Really appreciate the support guys, I can't say that enough.

Also, I’ll get signed up for the school.

Louis

High Roller
March 1st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Also,

If i decided to run a prepped similar '10 R1 what classes can I run with that bike?

Thanks,
Louis

dragos13
March 2nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
Novice GTO Amatuer GTO and Endurance Open.

High Roller
March 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM
If i wanted to race a 600 and a 1000 on race weekend, how would you recommend doing that class wise? anything I should know about with entertain possible Novice/Amateur GTO with the 1000, then Novice/Amateur GTU with the 600?

Louis

dragos13
March 9th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I have never ridden two different sized bikes in the same weekend. I think Brownie can talk a little bit more about it. The main question to ask, will you be faster on the 1000 then the 600?

Being your first year, I would suggest concentrating just on the 600. Last year, I think 4 out of the 5 champs in the Am and Nov 1000 class were on 600's. Swapping back and forth might mess you up. Also, running a 600 against other 1000's really helps you learn how to make up the difference on corner speed and late braking.

Thats my $.02. If you do choose to run both, just remember you will need to tech both bikes in the morning. Entry fees will be the same either way. Can't think of anything else that would be different.

Bueller999
March 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I have run 2 bikes, it's expensive and a PIA.
I also knew a guy (expert) who did this also, one race weekend in Pueblo he shelled the motor in the 600 and crashed the 1000 really hard. Not a good situation.

Given the chance to do it again I would have stuck with the smaller displacement bike and rode up with it.

Throttleroller277
March 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have ran 600cc and 1000cc on the same weekends, and 600cc and 250cc on the same weekends.

As Casey said, it is very difficult. Very few people have "equal" success on both machines. The changes in mental focus is huge, even for an experienced, veteran racer. You have to change so many things: Brake Markers, Lines, throttle percentage when exiting the corners, corner speed, turn in point, bike flickability (is that a word?), etc....

I can tell you that the more comfortable you are on your machine, and knowing its characteristics, will result in more mental focus, at any given time on the race track. and the more you are thinking about "which machine am I on"... the less focus you are putting into the task at hand, which is the racetrack, and what is going on in front of you.

Some guys are faster on the 600... some faster on the 1000..... everyone is different..... having won 4 championships on a 600cc in 2007, I thought going into 2008 I would have no problem running a 600cc and a 1000cc... I struggled big time, and in turn, it slowed me down on the 600cc that I was used to, and most familiar with. Throughout 2009 I ran 250cc and 600cc back to back, and didn't have near the issues....

Does that mean you will struggle?.... maybe not.... by all means I am not trying to discourage your wanting to run both machines.

Some things to keep in mind about running 2 bikes, aside from the above:
-Limited practice... will you have enough time to "dial" in both machines? will you just practice on one, and wing it on the other? Split the practices up equaly on both bikes?
-Extra Tires costs
-2 sets of spare parts

As Casey stated, a lot of the top runners in years pasts in the Nov/Am GTO classes have been on 600cc machines.

I say, if you are going to run both, you can start out the season that way, and if you feel you are faster on the 600cc, just run that one. And you would always have the 1000cc as a backup for the GTO classes.... just a thought. ..... if you are faster and more competative on the 1000cc, and that is your passion.. do the majority of practices on that one, and wing it on the 600cc in the GTU classes. .... or maybe you will be fast and competative on both?...

There is nothing that says that you cannot set one of them aside later, if you so choose.

Either way you decide to go, I will be more than happy to help you out with anything I can. 8)

High Roller
March 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Guys, appreciate the response. I do have two bikes nearly ready to go, was going to resell one but I'd really hate too. I did consider a '10 R1 but i do have an option of running a S1000RR fully prepped. I'll ponder that dilemma.

Jeff, What do you exactly mean when you won 4 championships in '07? Did you lead in point in 4 separate classes in the MRA alone or with another race organization?

Louis

Throttleroller277
March 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Jeff, What do you exactly mean when you won 4 championships in '07? Did you lead in point in 4 separate classes in the MRA alone or with another race organization?

Louis

From 2006-2009 I ran both the MRA series, and the MOM series (Utah), as well as some AMA's. In 2007 I was the overall Points leader (Class Champion) in 4 different classes between the 2 series.

polar x
March 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I ran a R1 and a TZ250 together and found that the TZ made me faster on the R1. That has not helped me on the 600 though. You can do it, and like brownie says, it may not hurt you but it may not help you either. I found that the TZ was great for corner speed and realizing just how small a hole you could get a bike through. That really helped me on the big bike and to be honest I would like to be back on a big bike...I just feel more comfy on them. I ran my fastest times on the R1 with the TZ.

It can be done, and you will know rather quickly if it helps you or hurts you.

Throttleroller277
March 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
It can be done, and you will know rather quickly if it helps you or hurts you.

True dat!... but at the same time, if it's not working at the beginning, that doesn't mean that it never will. Sometimes you just have to stick with it..... Your Post reminds me of a story that a very good friend told me about changing from a 600cc, to a 1000cc machine, and he struggled throughout the entire season, almost to the point of quiting racing all together. But then at the last round, everything just came together, and "clicked"... That person went on to win three #1 plates, countless other championships, and is now a top instructor and mentor to many of us.....

JimWilson29
March 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
These examples of when it's worked are from experienced racers. High Roller is a new novice. IMHO he should focus on one bike.

High Roller
April 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Couple more question popping up..

I have decided that I just want to race my 600. If i wanted to run two classes on my R6 what classes would i do? Is this a common thing to do?

Also, is there a more exact break down of the Races on May 7-8 @ HPR of what exactly is going on and what time?

Lou

JimWilson29
April 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
2011 Raceday Schedule - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12164

vort3xr6
April 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
High roller,

For perspective, as a novice last year on a 600 I ran Nov U, Nov O, Am U, and occasionally Am O. The 600 will compete in more classes than you can physically do! Trust me on that one!

Good choice on just running the 6 and good luck this season. Come see me in the pits if you have questions or troubles.

oldtimer
April 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have decided that I just want to race my 600. If i wanted to run two classes on my R6 what classes would i do? Is this a common thing to do?

Lou

I'm in agreement that you'll do better just running the 600 as a novice, great choice! I raced my 600 as a novice, and raced up in the GTO classes and felt very competitive against the big bikes. I ran novU, novO, amU, amO and LOR. My husband ran novU, novO, MWendurance, amU and amO.

Run more classes and get more race experience, that's how to maximize your learning curve. :wink:

Throttleroller277
April 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Lou

I'm in agreement that you'll do better just running the 600 as a novice, great choice! I raced my 600 as a novice, and raced up in the GTO classes and felt very competitive against the big bikes. I ran novU, novO, amU, amO and LOR. My husband ran novU, novO, MWendurance, amU and amO.

Run more classes and get more race experience, that's how to maximize your learning curve. :wink:

Agreed... if you have the funds, I recommend running as many classes as you can.
As for the GTO classes.... You are already riding at a good pace, I would not be hesitant to run the 600 in the GTO classes, from what I have seen of you thus far.

High Roller
April 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Brownie,

I signed up for Novice O/U only. I figure I will be competitive and happy just doing the two. Any other suggestions or comments?

Lou

Throttleroller277
April 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Brownie,

I signed up for Novice O/U only. I figure I will be competitive and happy just doing the two. Any other suggestions or comments?

Lou

Seat time... Seat time.... Seat time....

High Roller
April 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Brownie,

thinking about entering AM O/U also, alot of travel for 8 laps only. What is the differences between NOV O/U and AM O/U? As always I appreciate it.

Lou

JimWilson29
April 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
From the rulebook-

4.2 Amateur definition
A. Amateur is used to define combined race classes only and is not a license status.
Novice and Expert racers may race together in classes specified as Amateur.
B. Experts who race Amateur GTO, Amateur GTU or Formula 40 are ineligible for
RoR GTO and RoR GTU races during the same weekend. A racer entering either
Amateur GTO, Amateur GTU or Formula 40 and either RoR GTO or RoR GTU
will be removed from the results and will lose all contingency and earnings from
both Amateur, Formula 40 and RoR classes for that weekend.
C. Any racer who begins the season as an expert class racer and finishes in the
top 5 overall at the end of the year in Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU will be
ineligible for both Amateur GTO and Amateur GTU in subsequent seasons.
Novice racers that finish in the top 5 of Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU are
exempt from this rule, as are racers that begin the season as a novice but advance
to expert during that season.

High Roller
May 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
one more question...

Can I run a Ducati 848 in Novice GTU?

Bueller999
May 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
one more question...

Can I run a Ducati 848 in Novice GTU?

Sorry dude, but have you read the rulebook?

High Roller
May 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM
anybody can do that!

loujr
May 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
2.6 Novice GTU/GTO and Amateur GTU/GTO classes
2.6.1 GTU
Class displacement limits are set as follows:
• Up to 430cc two or more cylinder, two stroke, unlimited origin
• Up to 550cc two or more cylinder, two stroke, if frame is from a motorcycle
manufactured for street use in North America
• Up to 550cc single cylinder, two stroke, unlimited origin
• Up to 850cc two cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder
• Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder
• Up to 640cc four or more cylinder, four stroke
• Up to 900cc three or more cylinder, four stroke, air cooled
• Unlimited displacement two cylinder, four stroke, two or three valves per cylinder
• Unlimited displacement single cylinder, four stroke, unlimited origin