PDA

View Full Version : Lap Times on MRA.org?

KFinn
February 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Can anyone else get to lap times on any of the races for last season? Is it just me or is it the site/server related?

I can see standings but not times.

spideyrdr
February 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
It's been flaky for me for a while but seems to be working now.

Jamie

ZiaThunder
February 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Has anyone considered posting them to MyLaps?

I know that there are a few clubs that do. It's quite nice to be able to look up times there.

KFinn
February 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM

I know that there are a few clubs that do. It's quite nice to be able to look up times there.I thought this horse has been beaten several times in the last year or so on various threads. hasn't it? But I am too lazy to search the threads and provide the reason why. I don't recall why either.....

It would be nice to have it out there but I downloaded all mine locally in a spreadsheet for tracking so I wouldn't have to worry about server crashes and HDD losses.

oldtimer
February 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM

I know that there are a few clubs that do. It's quite nice to be able to look up times there.

There's a cost associated with posting our times on MyLaps and thus we've continued to use our own website.

Scored51
February 15th, 2011, 10:18 AM

There's a cost associated with posting our times on MyLaps and thus we've continued to use our own website.

...And you would have less access to your (and everyone else's) lap times than you currently do on and off the track.

Jon
February 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
That's actually not true as MyLaps posts everyone who's entered with an organization and in a race or practice session and has their transponder active. The number of events and racers can be accessed from years ago. Such as Jon Glaefke WERA at Las Vegas Classic in April 2007. Every organization who's registered with them gets this service and it's proved invaluable through the years for me personally. As the MRA is more personable and though has chosen not to use the service your laptimes are available with them.
Hope this helps

Clarkie
February 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I can still pull up my results on Mylaps from 2006 in Utah...

Jon
February 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
According to the rep at MyLaps the service is free. The MRA has just never chosen to sign up. Are you speaking with the facility in the USA? As Aaron and I both attest our lap times from events that took place years ago are still available on MyLaps and I can view them easily as well as others. Pretty Cool stuff

Scored51
February 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
According to the rep at MyLaps the service is free. The MRA has just never chosen to sign up. Are you speaking with the facility in the USA? As Aaron and I both attest our lap times from events that took place years ago are still available on MyLaps and I can view them easily as well as others. Pretty Cool stuff

Actually, the service is not completely free. If you don't mind Jon, I'd like to use you as an example...

If the MRA used MyLaps.com and you sold your old transponder to me, I would need to reregister the transponder with MyLaps. I would have to pay a $40.00 fee to Mylaps (used to be $50) to change the ownership of the account going forward. The other problem is that all of the lap times you generated racing around the country for years on the transponder you sold me would be migrated to my new account and you would no longer have access to them. I also believe with this feature, a racer does NOT have access to anyone elses lap times other than their own.

I don't have any real numbers as to how many of our members are currently using previously owned units. A good guess is most. With the $40 fee, MyLaps would have collected nearly $6,000.00 from the sales of the MRA rental fleet alone, and that is just the first round of ownership changes. I certainly encourage any discussion that might improve our process, but there are too many line items in the "cons" column and not enough in the "pros" to consider using the Mylaps service.

Jon
February 17th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Damn I don't want to get in a battle over this Chris but will use this as an example. I before last season started, sold the transponder that I first rented from the MRA fleet, then purchased from the MRA, to Kevin Flynn. I then purchased a new style one from MyLaps. Do remember that I again almost retired for the twentieth time at the end of 2009, LOL
However, I can still to this day, can look up my lap times on that old transponder from 2007 at Las Vegas Classic course when I raced a WERA event. Also from that same year, an event I did with the CCS/Greatplains region with Trackaddix at MPH and I also have access to my lap times using my new transponder with the USBA at Miller.
According to Dean Rumfella the then owner of the TrackAddix/CCS organization he didn't have to pay a fee but just entered the transponder number into the system. I have never done anything but to enter the transponder number onto my entry form when asked for it. So I'm not sure what going on, maybe I slipped through the cracks or something but I have access from me racing all over the country with AHRMA, CCS WERA and etc.

Jon
February 17th, 2011, 07:36 AM
My guess is that Kevin Flynn never re registered my old transponder. I going from my memory want to say the number of that unit was 308179 but as my mind is old and feeble I may be incorrect. Did he race with the MRA in 2010? Because I can clearly see in 2007 I raced with WERA at Las Vegas Classic with JD Beach Mike Collobran, Jonathan Forman and others.

Jon
February 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Maybe I have the name wrong Chris what is the number to Kevin Finnegan's transponder who raced in Novice U this year. Does it have a previous owner or was it a rental?

ZiaThunder
February 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
....I also believe with this feature, a racer does NOT have access to anyone elses lap times other than their own.

Actually, you can see all the other racers times. I've been using it to figure what kind of lap times to expect at new tracks, but you do have to sign in.

I was pretty sure that it was free since we are using it for the SMRI and we can't afford lot of extra lil' costs.

Scored51
February 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Damn I don't want to get in a battle over this Chris but will use this as an example.

No worries, Jon. I'm sorry to come across so seriously. Not even my little sister thought I was intimidating when we were growing up. :D Just to clarify. Here's the the link to the page to register a used transponder: ( http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/B2C/car/shop/used_transponders ). The note at the bottom of the page states. "Note that following your registration, the previous transponder data is migrated to your account and the previous owner loses access to these records." The reason you still have access to your old lap times is because no one you have sold transponders to in the MRA has reregistered with MyLaps because we don't currently use the service. So you may want to see if MyLaps has a print or download function for all of the old data in order to keep it yours just in case. :lol:

Actually, you can see all the other racers times. I've been using it to figure what kind of lap times to expect at new tracks, but you do have to sign in.

I was pretty sure that it was free since we are using it for the SMRI and we can't afford lot of extra lil' costs.

Thanks for the update, Kim. That makes sense as I couldn't log in without having a user account. The service is free to organizations and those who purchase a new transponder. The racers that get hit with the fee are those who have bought a used transponder that has previously been registered. My example with the MRA transponders was hypothetical as we don't use the service. However, if Kevin decides to race with the SMRI even once and wants to see his lap times using Jon's old transponder, he will need to pony up the $40 and Jon will lose access to all of the laps he has turned on that transponder reported to MyLaps.

As to my previous comment about improving our service, I have not deleted any data either from when I started in 2006 or what was still on the computer since we started using the timing system. The data isn't entirely complete before 2006, but if the membership really wanted it, I could start an archival project to set up downloads of the .CSV files of all the lap times. They would be housed on the class track records website. This would be relatively raw data, but a user could sort the information any way they choose with the given information once imported into MS-Excel or any other spreadsheet application.

Hope this helps,