PDA

View Full Version : Motor stands/cradles/jacks. What do you guys use?

N1K
January 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
What do you use to remove/install and teardown and assemble???
What do you use to store/stand and ship if needed??
This is the first time being in this spot with bikes and it looks like I might need to build something.
Guys post up some pics to I'd like to see how you guys go about this.

vort3xr6
January 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I just always used a toyota truck jack and a skateboard. Heads, camshafts, and valves went on the kitchen table, and block sat on pizza boxes.

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

mopoet178
January 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I just designed an engine stand for another MRA racer. My engineering internship just happened to give me that project. If you PM me your email, I could send you real pix and/or screenshots of my CAD model. It is a very sturdy, secure machined billet aluminum engine stand that supports the motor cantilevered from the rearmost two engine mounts.

-Marsh

OUTLAWD
January 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I was going to cut apart a junk frame I have to act as an engine stand, but Marsh's idea sounds easy and legit for storage (if fabbed from box tube instead of billet)

Jon
January 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hiya Marsh, Marsh, Marsh
Might I be that MRA racer? I've been around about twenty years and recently had an outfit in Boulder build one for me. I'm just waiting for it to be anodized before I pick it up and try it out.
Is your last name All because the fellow who worked on mine's name was. Which is kind of strange because I personally know two people with that name. Is this you?

mopoet178
February 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Yes Jon, I'm that guy. Last name Poet, though.

-Marsh

Bartman
February 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have use various motor stands over the years but most of the time I just build on my bench, I will sometimes use my cylinder head stand when doing MX motors.
If you want to build stands for transport or motor building you can make it out of 1"steel tubing or even 2*4s.

bluedevil
February 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I use 2X4's and a nail gun. Nice sturdy base and a couple support arms to hold motor upright. Cost is nothing and time to make is quick.

N1K
February 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Cool thanks guys! :)