PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Battery

Clarkie
January 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I know there are a bunch out there now, but I just received a MOTY 4 Cell battery ( http://www.motydesign.com/index.php ) for a project I am working on, from Kelly at www.trackstar1.com

I never thought that much about reducing as much weight from the bike as I could, as I used to think horsepower was King! Ok yeah I liked to make big power :D

When you compare the weight of the MOTY battery to a normal OEM battery like the ones I always used to run in my race bikes, it is around 6.5lbs for a normal battery vs around 12 oz for a MOTY 4 cell bettery which will be more than enough for a modern streetbike as well as most race bikes.

The batteries have a pretty cool quick disconnect and you can basically mount them where you want. Yeah you could go on a diet to lose 6lbs, but that doesnt sound like a lot of fun :D They are around $110 for the 4 cell which is pretty cheap when you think about it, definitely worth looking into.

Funny how a lot of thing I am finding out about now didnt exist when I was racing :D

Bartman
January 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I had a 4 cell lith feride battery in my Kawaki for several years and have a 8 cell in my old Suke and not only is the weight way under the lead battery but way more juice. My 4 cell bat weighed .7 lbs and the 8 cell 1.4, both were prototypes with no hard cases but worked flawless.
A word of caution, a lith battery with no control board is a BAD thing and some of the current batts you can find are just straight wired batteries with no control and can and will mess with your charging sys or worse.
Charging a lith battery is way different than your standard lead batt but your bike will not know the difference and will try to charge it like a lead battery.
Now if you are running a total loss system no worrys, only way to hurt a lith battery is to overcharge it or drain it to far or charge at the wrong rate.

Clarkie
January 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Good to know Bartman, is this kind of what you are talking about?
============

These are A123 cells comprised of a LiFePO4 chemistry that makes them not susceptible to over/under current failures like LiPo batteries.
============

Bartman
January 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
By the way the guy who has built my batts knows his shit, he has to my knowledge the worlds quickest electric vehicle running in the mid 7s and he is working on a streamliner to set some land speed records right now.
To look at his stuff go to www.killacycle.com to see what he has done, he is in Boulder and uses the A123 systems battery. Last time I looked the current bike uses over 900 cells and is capable of over 1800 lbs of torque. I had this bike on my dyno and it started to bend the tie down points and did break a strap, that was exciting ride to say the least. :lol:

Clarkie
January 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Ok so the A123 battery system is good then? I was just told by Kelly at Trackstar1.com he has sold a bunch of them to both road riders and racers, without any issues over an extended period of time.

All I know is, it is small, black, light as heck, and cranks my bike up without an issue 8)

Bartman
January 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Keith had a battery in his bike that was a A123 systems setup but it was just 8 cells with no control board, in talking with Bill all the batterys he makes have a control board to make them work properly and have no issues. Keith had problems at about the middle of the year but the problems were prolly there from the beginning, melted wires and rectifier and it did something to the fuel pump circuit that we have not yet figured out.
Keith knows a few thing for sure about lith batterys as almost every modern RC uses a lipo battery and they can be very dangerous, next you have lith ION batterys which work well but still have a few issues and then you have the LiFe batterys that are very stable but still need a controlled charge and the charging system on a bike was never intended to do a lith battery of any kind and that is where the control board comes in to handle that.
By no means am I a expert on the whole battery thing but I know people who are very well versed in it and if he uses a control board I will to, a standard 12 amp battery in my Suke will barely turn it over and will not start when the motor is hot and the Lith batt will turn it no problems.

Clarkie
January 19th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Good to know :)

I am not a 'battery guy' at all either, but the testimonials I have gotten from both street and track racers there arent any long term/race/heat issues that I have heard of with the MOTY Batteries, which have been around for a while. My only association with trackstar1.com is that Kelly is a good friend, and I have no problem paying his retail prices just like anyone else :D

vort3xr6
January 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
By the way the guy who has built my batts knows his shit, he has to my knowledge the worlds quickest electric vehicle running in the mid 7s and he is working on a streamliner to set some land speed records right now.
To look at his stuff go to www.killacycle.com to see what he has done, he is in Boulder and uses the A123 systems battery. Last time I looked the current bike uses over 900 cells and is capable of over 1800 lbs of torque. I had this bike on my dyno and it started to bend the tie down points and did break a strap, that was exciting ride to say the least. :lol:

Is this the same guy who was doing burnouts in the parking lot and wrecked himself into a car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0

303 cycle
January 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Waste of my time

dragos13
January 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Is this the same guy who was doing burnouts in the parking lot and wrecked himself into a car?

What the hell!!! That was crazy!

Think he had front brake failure or something?

Clarkie
January 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Lipo battery's can be dangerous if they fall below their cut off rate you can damage cells and they will swell. Also its important to keep cells in balance and stored at the proper voltage. These have been used in RC for years and if you pay attention they work great, if you don't ask Elden how they work :P I think Keith's problem was a cold solder joint?

Now LIFE are a different, improved technology. These are much easier for the "Average Joe" to take care of and maintain.

If you haven't looked at Shoraipower.com check them out. After looking though all the options out there we decided to bring these in as the reviews are outstanding and the quality/service is second to none.

We have a shipment coming in tomorrow if you want to stop down and check them out. I will post pics and reviews soon!

Great info! The MOTY batteries are self balancing, dont need any soldering, have the quick disconnect which is handy in CO as is gets all cold and stuff :D

I like the MOTY as it is small as you can tuck in in where ever you want, technology is cool 8)

Bartman
January 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM

What the hell!!! That was crazy!

Think he had front brake failure or something?

Thats what happens when you do a burnout on dry concrete with a drag slick and the brakes are not very good and the bike is heavier than it looks. Also he is not the rider that normally runs the bike and it got away from him.
When the bike broke the tie down strap on the dyno it tried to jump off of the dyno, luckily when you close the throttle on a electric motor every thing stops other wise I would have gone thru the wall.

dragos13
January 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Oh ok I thought that was the racer on the bike. Makes a little more sense now and thinking about a drag slick and cold brakes...

Yeah makes for great video footage lol.

Mark Schellinger
January 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Really?
No helmet wearing homie is lucky to be alive.

Mark Schellinger
January 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Whoa
I just noticed my signature still says
New rider director.
I better fix that stat.

Desmodromico
January 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM
I ran an 8 cell from MDA123 last year with no issues at all. Never ran down and always started the bike right up, weighs 1.6 pounds.

303 cycle
January 21st, 2011, 03:09 PM

Clarkie
January 21st, 2011, 10:13 PM
So what your saying is....... instead of telling people about what I found and think it is cool technology, with having no connection to the manufacturer or trying to sell a product, I should just try and sell them in a thread that has nothing to do with selling batteries?

Nah, that's not how I roll :wink:

And by the way, isnt there a section dedicated to advertising and selling stuff? :D

303 cycle
January 22nd, 2011, 09:43 AM

dave.gallant
January 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Please, for the love of god....

I am out of Preparation-H and I can't seem to kill these damn crabs with anything the doc has got.

So, please. Don't make me move this thread. Everyone is (by now) aware of the simple things I ask regarding advertising....

Clarkie
January 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
:D Yep

303 cycle
January 22nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Or edit my post and take down any useful information when concerning Shorai batteries. If you want a one-sided discussion thats fine. :roll:

dave.gallant
January 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Or edit my post and take down any useful information when concerning Shorai batteries. If you want a one-sided discussion thats fine. :roll:

Or, follow the same rules everyone else is here.

Or, don't.

And don't post.

Either is fine with me.

benfoxmra95
January 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
and now for something completely different:

did anyone every notice that in mark e marks footer, the two little stick guys fighting, and at the end after the white guys done kicking his ass, he himself gets blown up by his own weapon..... interesting metaphor, my interpetation: the more continuely we beat someone down we just end up destroying ourselves.

Bueller999
January 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
^^Deep 8)

benfoxmra95
January 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
(just refilled the ice in my bong)(bubbling sounds....)

actually it could be deciphered one level more.

if you notice he begins by hand combat, then progress's to swords, spear, bow and arrow then pistol, then machine gun, then bazooka...etc...in the same relation the human race has through the the last 1000 years we've went from hand combat to refined metals.

so this could mean that the through the ages as our weapons technology progress's to destroy our enemies we still eventually end up hurting ourselves....

cough:cough.... uh sorry, took in a little too much there.

The GECCO
January 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
OK Ben, no more race-fuel-laced stuff in the bong....from now on, natural materials ONLY

benfoxmra95
January 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
OK Ben, no more race-fuel-laced stuff in the bong....from now on, natural materials ONLY

lol....shouldn't you be out in the garage wrapping the front header pipe so it matches the rear?

rybo
January 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM

lol....shouldn't you be out in the garage wrapping the front header pipe so it matches the rear?

oooohhhh BURN! lol

Clarkie
January 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Ben spent too long in Aussie, I can tell :D

benfoxmra95
January 22nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Ben spent too long in Aussie, I can tell :D

you know that in australia its now legal to carry a small quantity now for personal use....

Clarkie
January 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah they have always been a bit slow over there :D