PDA

View Full Version : Vintage bike exhibition? What you think?

Mforza
January 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
So, after talking to a few racers from MRA it looks like they have a old bike from 70', 60' or even older sitting in the garage (including myself :) ) that they are itching to show off to the public :)

So I was thinking maybe we can do something like " noncompetitive vintage bike exhibition ride " on the race days for few laps or like 15min. on the track?

Maybe do so between practices and races?

I think it will be interesting addition for spectators to see out there.

I know that we are not AHRMA so that's why I said "exhibition", NOT racing :)

Is this possible?

Just an idea :)

Any input is wellcome.

Scored51
January 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hey Martin,

Not sure how many would have room to trailer an extra bike out to the track, but maybe we could organize a ride outside of a race weekend. Post it up on the CSC boards as well and have a age limit for the bikes (like nothing newer than 1980). It would be a good excuse for a get together.

Mforza
January 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Martin,

Not sure how many would have room to trailer an extra bike out to the track, but maybe we could organize a ride outside of a race weekend. Post it up on the CSC boards as well and have a age limit for the bikes (like nothing newer than 1980). It would be a good excuse for a get together.

Well i was thinking about this as a option for the MRA racers to do it while at the race track with MRA.
i think to organize a ride at the race track for bikes older then 1980 will be nice too but to have my old bike running the whole track day might be little "cruel" if Im using the right word :)

kamper11
January 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
This past season a few of us built some vintage racers - Hondas - cb 160's and 175's we had a lot of fun on the grid racing old slow bikes as fast as they would go. We ran in Colorado class on Sunday and a class on sat that also had some of the oddball bikes and small grid size. A few of us are taking em this season to some AHRMA events where they put 40-60 small vintage hondas on the grid.

I know myself and the others plan to be racing em again with the MRA -

I like the idea of an "exhibition" as well - and depending on where we can fit this year to race that makes sense.

PM me - if you wish and we can discuss off line!

BTW -we have named our vintage racing the "Colorado Rusty Racers" and a logo is also being developed so stickers and Iron-ons will be forthcoming!

Dan

Mforza
January 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
:D
I want one of those stickers! :D

rybo
January 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Martin,

I don't have a major problem with it except that our race weekends tend to run pretty long as is. While in theory our days should be shorter in 2011 due to the running of ROR as a combined race, we've also added three other classes. I'm just not sure where we would put it in the schedule.

Scott

JohnGarc
January 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Ok, let's stop beating around the bush and get a "Vintage only Bike Class"???? I'm talking Honda CB, Cr, Yamaha RD, RZ, TZ, TD, XS, Kawasaki H1,H2, KZ, Suzuki GT,GS and 70'S CAFE RACERS!!!! I know I'm forgetting lots of bikes especially euro and british bikes....

Absolutely no old 80's Sportbikes..... Over 31 Year cutoff?

This can be a huge revenue stream, not to mention some publicity with AMA, Cafe Racer Magazine, and their hit T.V. Show... After talking with the gang at Cafe Racer Magazine, there is some forsight towards filming Vintage Racing in there upcoming programming. Will it be Us?...

LETS GET THE BALL ROLLIN' and become Vintage Rockerstars!

This is not a fad and is here to stay whether your a mod or rocker at heart.

Mforza
January 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Martin,

I don't have a major problem with it except that our race weekends tend to run pretty long as is. While in theory our days should be shorter in 2011 due to the running of ROR as a combined race, we've also added three other classes. I'm just not sure where we would put it in the schedule.

Scott

There is 1h break between practice and races right? :)

kamper11
January 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
+1 What Mr Garcia stated!! These bikes are out there and can be raced very cost effective once built - especially the smaller displacement stuff that is so huge right now in the AHRMA and other vintage classes.

The bikes are out there and available - a little ingenuity and some internet forums and you can be racing - really fun racing - for not a lot!

Find something old enough and you have AHRMA compliant as well.

Loyd- Skip - Meador raced his 160 locally and down at Miller for the big labor day AHRMA weekend - Im personally planning on Road America June for their huge vintage weekend - and Miller over Labor day. They are seeing 40-50 bike vintage grids.

Also - there are a couple other guys - inc MRA racers that are racing vintage at both Barber and Daytona!

Its great that CO racers are going to represent - it would be even greater to have our own class and grids here.

These old bikes are only gaining in popularity and a lot of fun - easy to work on - and do get attention!

A perfect compliment to the new spec 250 class!

Colorado Rusty Racers!!

Jon
January 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I've got an old RD 350 that's pretty trick and it's been dying to get back on track.

rybo
January 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Martin,

Scott

There is 1h break between practice and races right? :)

Yeah, it's called "lunch" for the corner workers, and we aren't going to have a hot track during that time.

Guys, there is a process for this. It's called the rule change proposal process, it happens at the end of the season before the rules are released for the following season.

I have no problem with a proper vintage bike class, but the rules and schedule are set for this year.

Start putting a proposal together, think about how many bikes / riders will participate, what the implications are for the club, think about what the rules of the class should be - for example I don't see us backing away from any of the bike preparation rules, so how do you make a 31 year old bike have a full containment belly pan / steering damper etc. Then bring it to the rule change process at the end of the season, then come and represent the class at the rule change meeting. We added three classes this year through this process.

Scott

Mforza
January 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I did not ment this to be a proposal for another racing class.
I thought about it as a exhibition for people that come to watch the races.
Just to make the day more exiting for them and for us.
Thats why I said NOT racing, just show ride.
Sorry if I explained that wrong way. :(

Jon
January 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Maybe someone can coordinate a vintage bike display? If you've ever been to Mid Ohio Vintage days or the Barber Vintage Motocycle festival. There are displays set up to show case some make, some different mark of MC. While these bikes aren't racebikes in most cases, I always make sure to make it over to see it.
The various folks wishing to display them just need to make them available throughout the day, Someone bring along a canopy and each participant maybe make a displayable info sheet about his or her bike. Really short of having to roll it over in the morning and roll it back at days end I see it as a pretty neat way to maybe get dad, grandpa and maybe an older generation to show up. I agree with Scott in that your days as well as the corner workers days are plenty full without having to listen to wide open megaphones at lunch :lol:

T Baggins
January 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I like the enthusiasm around vintage bikes, but in my experience they never actually materialize in meaningful numbers at the track...

We did parade laps at most of the events last year during either Saturday or Sunday lunch hour. Cars, bikes, scooters, quads, etc... there's no reason the vintage bikes couldn't take part in that - and follow Jon's suggestion to set up a vintage paddock for spectators and enthusiasts to enjoy as well...

phildrummond
January 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I like the idea of a display in the paddock and a parade lap at some point. There are some old pit bikes that are appreciated as they parade around during the day, but the full sized bikes aren't meant to putter around at toe-dabbing speed.

Make sure everyone knows of parade lap weekends well in advance. I'll be out there on a clapped out 1970 CT70 (Thanks, Garc!) in full tuck, with a sparkly gold helmet, trying like Hell to hit 28mph.

Mforza
January 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Ok Tony, maybe before the season starts we can talk who will be interested to do the display and bring the bike over to the track.
I will ask friend of mine if we can use his 10x20 tent for this.
I do not mind to take my bike for the parade lap :)

If anyone is interested to put their vintage bike for the display at he track during the raceday, let me know, that I can find out how many bikes will actualy show up :)

If you have any other ideas about this, let me know also :)

Mforza
January 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I like the idea of a display in the paddock and a parade lap at some point. There are some old pit bikes that are appreciated as they parade around during the day, but the full sized bikes aren't meant to putter around at toe-dabbing speed.

Make sure everyone knows of parade lap weekends well in advance. I'll be out there on a clapped out 1970 CT70 (Thanks, Garc!) in full tuck, with a sparkly gold helmet, trying like Hell to hit 28mph.
:D :D
I can't wait to see you out there on it Tom!
:D :D

kamper11
January 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'd be happy to bring my vintage stable out - and display

also - for those of us with race ready machines - we can still enter in Colorado Class on Sunday - right ???

PS - if anyone is interested - I have 2 bikes that are perfect contendors for 160/175 AHRMA racing - I may be willing to part with em or finish em as "rent a wrecks'

talladega
January 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM
i'll be there with some vintage, and ill gladly work to coordinate such an event.

Mforza
January 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
That's great guys, I think we should talk more about this on one of the meetings and find out who else is interested.
Will be cool to have at least 10-15 bikes out there, or more :D

sheispoison
January 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM
If I can get it back together and figure out how to get it out there (there's NO extra room in the short van) I'd love to get my '55 Triumph out there.
carl

Jon
January 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
It might not be a road bike but it is vintage. 1974 CZ 400 in perfect condition as she's been restored and has never had fuel in the tank. Those of you of my vintage will remember when you went to a MX race back in the day there were like thirty different makes of bikes with all a chance of the win. These days what, five maybe six different and the smell of bean oil? Anybody that old? Besides that I've got the pristine RD.
It sounds doable and if someones ready to coordinate I'll get some history together for my couple vintage steeds.
One thing funny about my CZ is not only is the bike around anymore, neither is the country :lol:

Mforza
January 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Jon the country is still there :D
Just changed a little, split into Czech Republic and Slovakia :)
I'm from Czech :D
But on the other hand you are right, there is no more Czechoslovakia :D

Cool bike the CZ, one of the best in those times. I used to ride Jawa350 back when I started.

Jon
January 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah I think us Americans refer to it as the former Czechoslovakia or "Czech Republic" Regardless I've always wanted to visit as the some of your architecture is amazing as is much of Europe. Thanks for the thought and I believe a display could be a pretty cool deal if done correctly but would have to say that running them around the track maybe a bit coming as the days pretty full already.

T Baggins
January 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm from Czech :D

Well THAT is a relief... all this time I thought you were a Polack.... :shock: :lol:

Mforza
January 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM
:lol: :lol:

ducati7044
January 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
I race the old "sh*t" with AHRMA. A 1980 KZ750 that me, Pete Hockenstad, and Carl Schwenz built. And a beautifully prepared 1973 xs650/750 yamaha. When I do go to modern races with them they get A LOT of attention. I race the KZ in the modern classes against sv650's. Last year I ran 2.07's with it at HPR. It's pretty modified. The xs is really just fun to look at and listen to when it's running wide open down the straights. An sv650 will kill it.

JohnGarc
February 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Alright... I think I got the ball rolling... Sorry this didn't get started when rules were rules. But sommmmee rules are meant to be broken!! Sounds like a jumpstart to a kickA$$ 11' season to me.

C ya at the track, LoveAndPolish style....