PDA

View Full Version : Suspension sponsorship?

irdave
January 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
What would you as a racer like to see in the way of sponsorship?

Ray-Ray
January 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
What would you as a racer like to see in the way of sponsorship?

What would be ideal for me but may not be ideal for others:

Suspension tune ups, including fluid changes and seal replacements.
Suspension setup
Work at track to get optimal settings and or understanding of what my suspension is doing (or not doing)

just my 02$

Ray-Ray

N1K
January 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
+1

oldtimer
January 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Me too! That would be awesome sponsorship

dragos13
January 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Suspension tuned and setup for rider size and skill.
Trackside support including suspension adjustments, tuning, and explanation on how changes to suspension relate to bike handling and tire wear. The reason behind the madness :)
Discount on parts/labor.
Assistance at all MRA races and limited trackdays.

chris nami
January 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
$1,000,000,000!

peteyt328
January 11th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Whatever I can get!

Clarkie
January 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Suspension tuned and setup for rider size and skill.
Trackside support including suspension adjustments, tuning, and explanation on how changes to suspension relate to bike handling and tire wear. The reason behind the madness :)
Discount on parts/labor.
Assistance at all MRA races and limited trackdays.

What Casey said, especially advice for a given rider's speed/ability/bike. As with most things race related there is more than one way to peel a turnip, and Dave is really good at setting a bike up for a rider for their bike, speed and most importantly riding style. This is where Dave's experience is key, ST and I had the same bikes (07-08 GSXR1000) and making that same sort of power and we were just as fast as each other but I know we had very different setups and wouldnt of been able to ride each others bikes as fast as our own.

Working with Dave a lot over the 07 and 08 seasons we refined 'my' setup so the bike was easy to ride fast (a huge thing) whether it was a 5 lap sprint or a 14 lap sprint race. With Dave's help I never finished a race with myself or the bike/tires worn out, and this was mainly due to working with a good suspension tuner who looked at the whole picture.

But just so eveyone knows it up front, good feedback is the most important thing a rider can do when they have a suspension tuner. "It handles like crap everywhere" isnt feedback :D

spideyrdr
January 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I am new 'round these parts, having come up through SuperStreet to race as a novice last season, so I probably have a 'wide-eyed' perspective on a number of items. I agree with Casey, though, that the "the reason behind the madness" is big part of what a sponsorship would ideally shed some light on.

A vendor can tell you run A tires at X PSI for the track conditions, and it only tells me WHAT to run, not why. There's a method to the madness, to be sure, but it's great to understand the recommendation.

Suspension is even more mysterious than tires. I would make some comparison to suspensions being like women, but truthfully, I think setting up a race bike's suspension is harder to understand!

If you were looking to sponsor racers at different levels, I'd love to see not only help getting it dialed in and freshened up, but also understanding the black art of sag/compression/rebound would be huge.

Munch
January 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Semi loaded with equipment, techs, main bike, backup bike, backup to the backup bike. :D

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/2058/2406210100093498190S425x425Q85.jpg

Ok maybe asking too much?

Honestly, time with you Dave would be worth your weight in gold!

irdave
January 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
For sure, a semi would be nice- along with all the spares. As would someone writing a multi-million dollar check to cover everything- which they typically do because of an assumed return on investment... Which is the following part to this question...

Having said all that, I can help you guys. How can you help me generate more suspension work?

motolitho
January 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think what Dave is asking for is not only reasonable, but should be required of someone that is/has:

A)New to the club- super enthusiastic- with no money or experience

B)Time to devote in some helpful form to generate biz for Dave

C)Ideas to help promote the work Dave does

Just sayin...

N1K
January 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Well you'd need to follow though on your part once stuff is set up for you or it wont work all that easily.

OUTLAWD
January 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm with Casey here...

I gained alot of experience last year, and got alot faster as well, but more importantly I started to learn the bike.

certain settings seemed OK at first, but then as I picked up some speed, grew a pair and started getting dialed in, I started to find suspension shortcomings. Breaking it down as far as this is what it is doing, but more importantly this is WHY it is doing it really helped me gain understanding as to how to set the bike up better. I would much rather be schooled on suspension, tire wear, etc, than to have someone simply twist the knobs for me.

spideyrdr
January 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Again, having come up through the ranks via SuperStreet, I spent a good amount of time talking with the other SuperStreet riders about what my transition experience was.

Could be a classic case of the blind leading the blind, but when I had guys stop by or pit with me, I'd not hesitate to point them to the tents that could help them out. Michelin's, over there. Dunlop's, here's your guy. Suspension setup? - your name here.

I think you already have a solid reputation among the veterans, so why not start with those of us who aren't as familiar with the gurus in the pits? Whether SuperStreeters get a race license or only come back for future SS days or track days on their street bike, I can see a strong interest from that crowd.

So yeah, that's how I'd get your name out if I was sponsored. Explaining to the new riders the benefit of your services and why it is one of the most important aspects to going fast.

Sol Performance
January 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
For me, the best thing I could ask for in return of my effort is honesty. If one of my riders is truely happy with the job I perform then I would be greatful if they were honest in what they think of me. No business can buy peoples freedom of opinon. If someone I help had something bad to say, either they truely don't apprciate the effort or its time to step my efforts up to another level!

Riders, as well as vendors, are a business in their own right. All we can try to do is create a partnership that is a win-win in every senerio we can.

Oscar

Bueller999
January 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Dave, remember that time I accidentally dialed you at 5:00am when I was looking for your number on my new phone to pimp your services? :lol:

That's probably not what you were looking for. :oops: :wink:

jmaher
January 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
As a new racer I would like to not only get my suspension set up, but learn the what, why's and hows. At one point I was asked if my bike was set up for my tires. I know I had the deer in the headlights look. I would like to know what I am feeling for and what does it mean? Even as a new racer, I've been riding long enough to "feel" what my bike is doing but I do not always know what it really means is happening and if that is good or bad (unless I go sliding off the track into the dirt again, then I know that feeling was probably bad). I am not one of the top racers, but the fact that you are taking the time to talk to me, help me and teach me....I will be buying things from you and I will be telling people about your help. I do know that what works well for one person may not work as well for someone else. All I would want is honesty. When I shot skeet competitively I was looking at different shell and choke combinations. One vendor told me to try them all....including his competition's shells. As it turned out, the competition's product worked better for me. As a result of that honesty and wanting help ME, I ALWAYS pointed people to him first.

Joe

phildrummond
January 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just tell me what all those little knobs and screws near that big spring under my seat do. For that you get a hug, stickers on my forks and a, "Go see Dave. He's the man!" anytime someone asks me what all those little knobs and screws near that big spring under my seat do.

irdave
January 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you all for your input.

I'm a little surprised by the desire for knowledge.

Thanks again, and please feel free to get in touch about your suspension- I'm usually pretty open with knowledge if I'm working on your suspension.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
January 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Having said all that, I can help you guys. How can you help me generate more suspension work?

Before Dave's question gets lost in the shuffle, I think it's important that if we ask for his help, we should figure out what we can offer him to help build his business in exchange.

Here are a couple of marketing ideas for promoting Dave's service. (things to point out to other racers and streetbike guys we bring to the track).

1) If you can't get suspension service locally (oil change, seals, springs, valving), you need to ship your parts somewhere, which isn't cheap. Using Dave's services automatically saves money.
2) You don't get trackside technical advise or problem remedies from people not at the track.

Also, I've noticed that most of my street riding friends (and some racers, Tbag!) rarely do anything to their suspensions unless they see oil puking out. I'd think proposing a way to make street riders aware of what Dave can do would be a big help to build his business.

I'm kinda not shocked by the desire for knowledge, though. Perhaps this is something we should cover in more depth in the new riders' school .. something as straightforward as this cheat sheet . .
http://www.roadracemotorcycles.com/blog/?page_id=56
or as elaborate at this book
http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760331405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295016539&sr=8-1
might help.

rybo
January 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM
When writing sponsorship proposals it's always important to let the company know what they're getting for their investment in you. You become a brand representative for them and a part of their public image. Some companies only care about standing on the box, others would rather have the person they sponsor be respected in the community. Here is the proposal I sent to Dave earlier this year, it's not a bad template for sponsorship proposals and clearly outlines expectations on both ends of the equation.

Dear STM Suspension,

I'm writing this email to put in my request for sponsorship from Single Track Mind for suspension services during the 2011 race season.

As you well know the program for 2011 involves my Modern Vintage Ducati with the goal of top 5 finishes in multiple classes in 2011. You are well acquainted with my bike, so I won't go into detail on it. One addition to the bike in 2011 is a data acquisition system from XT racing. I've attached a link to the unit I've purchased.

http://www.xtracing.com/en/gpxpro/features.php

I will provide the following to STM:

1) I will promote STM to the best of my ability.

2) I will provide options for potential customers to get their parts to / from you. I'll be happy to transport shocks, forks and other suspension products to and from the denver metro area when I'm there for other reasons such as MRA board and general meetings.

3) If you want, you may use my pit space with power at all events to run your business out of. At HPR it will be the in the carport areas, at PPIR we will have a garage and at Pueblo we will have pit space and my generator.

4) I will purchase an MRA crew pass for admission to all events for you.

I am a visible and trusted member of the MRA community and I'll do my best to represent you well both on and off the track.

The support I need:

1) I would like help setting up the data acquisition system and honest interpretation of the data acquired. My request is that you not share any of my data with other riders.

2) Fork and shock service throughout the season

3) Suspension set-up assistance at the track

I've been proud to support STM throughout the years and hope that we get to work together again in 2011.

Scott

Clarkie
January 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I couldnt agree more Scott, hearing some racer's say "I just run their stickers" is sad when they talk about their sponsors, and they are suprised when the sponsor drops them. It doesnt matter if it's 2 sets of brake pads a year, sponsorship is a two way street, promote you sponsor at every given chance.

JimWilson29
January 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I couldnt agree more Scott, hearing some racer's say "I just run their stickers" is sad when they talk about their sponsors, and they are suprised when the sponsor drops them. It doesnt matter if it's 2 sets of brake pads a year, sponsorship is a two way street, promote you sponsor at every given chance.

Especially with club level racing. The exposure that they receive for sponsoring us is very limited on the track. It's more important what you do for your sponsor off the track than on it.

vort3xr6
January 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
303 Cycle for all your go fast parts, gear, and accessories.

/shameless plug :D

irdave
January 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all the interesting thoughts.

I've been trying to figure out how to do this without having to charge people at the track to help them with their suspension issues (I hate making it about the money.)- here's what I've come up with...

STM Suspension (new name) will be offering sponsorships. This sponsorship will offer trackside service and help throughout the season- that means no paying for my time at the track- there might be a line, but hey. What I will require is basic; minimum 1 off/preseason fork and shock service and 1 midseason fork service, all suspension work gets done through STM Suspension, all suspension parts get purchased through me, stickers on the bike, sticker on the trailer, listed as sponsor, and the biggee, the sponsored must actually try to help my suspension business grow- as in, do more suspension work- which is the whole point of sponsoring a rider (for me, anyways.)

We're also diving headlong into the dirt world.

Feel free to send resumes to dave *at* STMSuspension *dot* com via the contact form at www.STMSuspension.com.