PDA

View Full Version : What class...

Clarkie
December 22nd, 2010, 02:10 AM
...would a Moto2 bike be elligible in? CBR600RR engine and modified 600RR chassis (lots of bling, chrome, anodized bolts etc) and a few other items like a slipper clutch.

ROR-U? MWSB? HWSB? OSB?

dragos13
December 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
...would a Moto2 bike be elligible in? CBR600RR engine and modified 600RR chassis (lots of bling, chrome, anodized bolts etc) and a few other items like a slipper clutch.

ROR-U? MWSB? HWSB? OSB?

As long as its a modified production chassis and not a custom built you should be fine in those classes, as well as endurance. Depending on the rider, you could also run it in Novice and Amateur classes.

2.3 Superbike classes
Superbikes are machines based upon production models sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use. Proof of compliance rests with the competitor entering the motorcycle.

Clarkie
December 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
So what it I stuck a 600 motor in a 250GP chassis aka Jeff Winter?

Or made a V8 out of two 400 motors aka The Drysdale V8 that revs to 22,000rpm? http://www.22000rpm.com/bike.html It started as two FZR400's on a common crank 10 years ago when I was in Aussie 8)

Clarkie
December 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Or how about a 600 in a 'production' RS250 Aprilia Chassis? Both are production and started off street legal?

Scored51
December 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
As long as its a modified production chassis and not a custom built you should be fine in those classes, as well as endurance. Depending on the rider, you could also run it in Novice and Amateur classes.

2.3 Superbike classes
Superbikes are machines based upon production models sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use. Proof of compliance rests with the competitor entering the motorcycle.

The Moto2 bikes are not production based as defined by the rules. They may be 600's, but the chassis are required to be of non-production origin. Here is the tech reg from the FIM:

Chassis
6.1 Chassis will be a prototype, the design and construction of which is free within the constraints of the FIM Grand Prix Technical Regulations. The frame, swing-arm, fuel tank, seat and cowling are forbidden to use from a non-prototype as series production road-going motorcycle.
6.2 Minimum Total Weight:
135kg for 4-cylinder
130kg for 3-cylinder
125kg for 2-cylinder
6.3 No carbon brake discs.

So... the SuperBike classes are out.

Clarkie
December 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
LOL my own version Chis :wink:
The frame will have originally been a 'production' OEM street frame.

Scored51
December 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Hey, there's a thought! 8)

Clarkie
December 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Rules say nothing about the production chassis matching the production based engine :wink:

rybo
December 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Clarkie,

The bike would be legal for any classes with GP rules. Novice and Amateur GTO / GTU, Endurance, ROR and LOR. For superbike the rules are pretty clear. You CAN modify a production frame, but frame and engine cases have to be from the same motorcycle and there are limits to the frame modifications that are permitted (broad limits to be sure, but limits)

Here is the section of the rulebook you are looking for:

2.3 Superbike classes

2.3.1 Class Requirements

All machines must meet the equipment standards (Section 5) and technical inspection (Section 6) as well as the following:

A. Frame and engine cases must be from the same production model motorcycle, except for single cylinder motorcycles, which may use any frame.
B. The frame must be as originally supplied by the manufacturer on the approved model except as follows:

a. Strengthening gussets or tubes may be added.
b. Only brackets or tubes not supporting suspension, engine, or drive line components may be removed.
c. Swing arms may be modified or replaced.
d. Rear shocks may be replaced or relocated.
e. Swing arm pivot location may be relocated.

C. Class displacement limits are absolute.
D. Reducing engine size of machines from stock displacement to meet lower class displacement limits is NOT allowed. (e.g., a bike that is a Heavyweight in origin can NOT be re-sized for Middleweight competition.)
E. Any fairing may be used as long as it meets the requirements of Section 5.

Hope that helps

Scott

Clarkie
December 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
LOL Damnit Scott you're no fun! :D

So an R71 (R1 engine in an R7 chassis) wouldnt be legal then, I wonder if I can ship it back to China...

The GECCO
December 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
LOL Damnit Scott you're no fun! :D

So an R71 (R1 engine in an R7 chassis) wouldnt be legal then, I wonder if I can ship it back to China...

Yeah, that was tried....lead to quite a sh!tstorm if I remember correctly...

Clarkie
December 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Damnit! I guess I will have to come up with my own idea to create another shit storm :D

The GECCO
December 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Damnit! I guess I will have to come up with my own idea to create another shit storm :D

We have faith in you :wink:

benfoxmra95
December 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
aaron turner(dan's brother) had the same issue with the Hokenblock motor in the gsxr chassis, think it was a suzuki RF900 motor in a gsxr750 frame. he had his own class to race in think it was open gp or unlimited open or somthing like that(gp rules). it was like him and 2 other bikes that raced in that class.

I say screw it, screw the cases and frame have to match rule!... The sport is missing some creativity these days. it's all cookie cutter shit: buy and r6 and buy these parts are then go race. BLAH!!!!

Where's all the graves R1/R7 and big crazy motor shoehorned motor bikes at?

I have some ideas for a 750cc motor bored to 800cc's.... in a a small chassis. anyone have any money for my project?

Clarkie
December 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I agree Ben, I say let Superbikes be true Superbikes, yeah in ROR anything goes but as it was pointed, people wont turn up to race just one class. Now with the Endurance classes they would have 3 to race and that makes it worth turning up for, if people want to get creative and build something cool let them and give them a place (more than one class) to race.

In 07 I won ROR-O on a Superstock bike, but I had a LOT more fun riding my Superbike :)

Jon
December 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah try to find a class to race a Pieribon FO 42 with WERA or CMRA.
Due to their A,B and C Superbike class rules production numbers in both stating being set at over 1000 units having needed to be built, it only allows me to race in two classes. One's Heavyweight Twins, the others Formula 1....not sure how well I'm going to do against a GSXR, CBR or ZX10's but hey that's the way the rules written. It was the same with the Shepherd bike. While these little projects are cool they can find themselves homeless.
Something to be considered when building a custom bike of course with me was not going along with the herd and having a bike that was truly my own and just plain fun.
So I'd say, if it floats your boat, go ahead and build it and let the shit fly!