PDA

View Full Version : "Fancy" numbers and plates

spideyrdr
November 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
To all you racers with nice looking graphics, where did you get your numbers and plates? Is there a local shop that does that sort of stuff reasonably? ebay?

I'm not looking doing anything too nuts but the plain numbers as required by the rule book (8" high, 1" wide) are too huge to fit right in many cases and they look pretty terrible when crammed together.

While I am doing some digging, what's the norm for establishing the number area? Painted on? Vinyl?

Clearly I have too much time on my hands and I am trying to get some of the cosmetic stuff worked out in the winter. Tips on this critical performance-enhancing, lap-time-lower subject would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamie

JimWilson29
November 24th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Aaron Petrie @ Unink Printworks - http://www.superpages.com/bp/Longmont-CO/Unink-Printworks-L0125516938.htm

Bartman
November 24th, 2010, 09:14 AM
There are many in our club who can do numbers for you to fit any bike, off hand I can think of Hammer or Aaron Petrie and both have done work for me and Aaron does the tech stickers for us as well.

T Baggins
November 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Just be sure they're legible, at 100mph, from 40 feet away. If not, then they're too fancy... and you might not be scored properly.

motolitho
November 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
beeyowbeeyow.

Scored51
November 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'd suggest 100mph at 100 feet. PPIR is much further than a 40 foot sight distance form the manual scorekeepers (the track is 75 feet wide). The typical thing is to have the number plate background painted on with the bike's color scheme. It's a little easier than trying to stick an entire sheet of vinyl down onto a complex curve surface. I would also suggest printing the numbers in a flat black. The sun will reflect off all the shiny bits of your paint and can obviously make any number unreadable regardless of size. If you have a windscreen that comes to a point, you can also consider filling some of it in with your background color to give yourself a lot more area for your numbers.

Hope this helps.

spideyrdr
November 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am definitely not looking to create readability / scoring issues. I had enough of those this year! It's more of getting a custom set of numbers that fit the bike better - as it is the standard numbers don't fit on both sides of my tail but a custom / tapered set of digits probably would.

In fact, custom numahs could improve readability since scoring at HPR reads the left side of the bike but at PMP it would be the right side if I am not mistaken.

If anyone who does this sort of thing is looking for work, please post up or PM me so I can get some options lined up. Thanks!

Jamie

spideyrdr
November 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I just had a great thought! Roman numerals for us novices!

This is MRA Novice DCCCLXXX wishing you all a happy Thansgiving!

OUTLAWD
November 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I got a deal on the numbers and yellow vinyl for the gixxer from Aaron Petrie. For the 250 (rip) i got numbers from your boy Rudy.

I went the vinyl route over the painted number plates because honestly, I was tired of painting in my unheated garage and didn't want to mask any more. The only place I got a wrinkle was on the front, too many contours, too little experience. another plus to getting numbers cut is the vinyl is often much thinner than the standard motocross numbers you can get.

davy4575
December 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
I had the motocross background, was way too thick. The sticker from the 4 hour enduance race ended up peeling it off, so I just rattle canned the back ground and clear coated over it. For the yellow I used flourescent traffic marking paint, it dries flat till you clear coat it for some reason

Sprtbkbabe
February 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Aaron Petrie @ Unink Printworks - http://www.superpages.com/bp/Longmont-CO/Unink-Printworks-L0125516938.htm

Number is no longer in service

JimWilson29
February 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Number is no longer in service

Email him at aaron@uninkprintworks.com