PDA

View Full Version : brake rotors or other upgrades

jmaher
November 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Do aftermarket brake rotors make a big difference in stopping? I have stock rotors on my 05 ZX6 right now but have a little extra $$$ that I can spend on my bike. So I'm looking at that as an option but open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Joe

JimWilson29
November 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Do aftermarket brake rotors make a big difference in stopping? I have stock rotors on my 05 ZX6 right now but have a little extra $$$ that I can spend on my bike. So I'm looking at that as an option but open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Joe

Unless they are warped, your money is better spent on other things such as suspension.

jmaher
November 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
I think that is the one thing that is pretty set. It just needs some adjustment. I also just had it tuned....and found out why I could not keep up with anyone. The ECU was way off and a 10% increase in hp and torque was found.

JimWilson29
November 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think that is the one thing that is pretty set. It just needs some adjustment. I also just had it tuned....and found out why I could not keep up with anyone. The ECU was way off and a 10% increase in hp and torque was found.

well then, you might as well grab these - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12115&highlight=

jmaher
November 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
I still do not know if aftermarket rotors really do help. Plus, these are for a ZX10 and I have a 6.

JimWilson29
November 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
I still do not know if aftermarket rotors really do help. Plus, these are for a ZX10 and I have a 6.

They are the same - http://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-6r-old-school/158694-master-parts-swap-list-ver2-0-98-zx6r.html

You'll probably hear different arguments on if they are of any benefit or not. The wave rotors were design to not warp and disperse the heat better plus they are lighter. Braketech still makes their ductile iron rotors and those supposedly disperse heat better. I think it comes down to how hard you are on your brakes if it's going to make a noticable difference or not.

dragos13
November 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Stock brakes FTW 8)

What all do you have done to the bike? Do you feel like your brakes start to fade or don't grip enough?

I ran completely stock brake setup on my R6 last year and it was more than enough. You might have an underlying issue if something with your stock setup isn't sufficient.

Personally, if your suspension is set up then save the money for track time and fine tuning...

Someone like Mark Schellinger or Dave Rose will make you faster than big wave rotors, imo.

JimWilson29
November 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Galster ran stock rotors on his ZX6r this season and he did okay with them. :)

jmaher
November 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I guess I will pass on the rotors, I'm hearing they don't really make that much difference....at least at my level. So that at least answers my question about them.

dragos13
November 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
What else could be on the table?

Something like quarter turn throttle? Maybe a quick shifter? Those are a few things I wish I had on my last bike...

jmaher
November 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Already got those and they don't make a traction control for my bike. It could be that my bike is done?

OUTLAWD
November 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I would definately stick with as many stock components as possible, especially at this level of racing. Have you done the jumper mod? R6 throttle tube? your bike already has a slipper clutch, honestly I would leave well enough alone.

I know the newer zx-6 calipers are supposedly an upgrade to give a firmer feel

jmaher
November 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Jumper mod? R6 throttle tube? And those are????

Joe

Bartman
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Jumper mod only applies to stock ECUs and putting Yami parts on a Kawaki will offend the race Gods.

dragos13
November 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Jumper mod only applies to stock ECUs and putting Yami parts on a Kawaki will offend the race Gods.

I think you got that backwards Bartman ;)

Bartman
November 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM

I think you got that backwards Bartman ;)

I could have sworn that this year was dominated by a Kawaki with a gaggle of Yamahas tring in vane to keep up. :lol:

findgold
December 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
I would definately stick with as many stock components as possible, especially at this level of racing. Have you done the jumper mod? R6 throttle tube? your bike already has a slipper clutch, honestly I would leave well enough alone.

I know the newer zx-6 calipers are supposedly an upgrade to give a firmer feel

I started roadracing way back in 1973... AND one of the most useful things I learned is DON'T OVER MODIFY

It's not how much money you spend on all the aftermarket stuff etc. Or most of the time not how much horsepower you have. But how well you can adapt/meld with the strengths and shortcommings of your bike.

If you don't have it yet get your hands on "Sprot Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and read chapter one.