PDA

View Full Version : New Classes and some Changes for 2011!

T Baggins
November 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Just to formalize what most of you already know by now...

We have added the following NEW Classes for 2011:

Ninja 250 Spec Series

Thunderbike

Formula 40

Final rules and eligibility will be published before the end of the year, but there are discussion threads going on already about these classes if you want to get up to speed.

Additionally, we have changed the structure of our premier Race of the Rockies Championship Series as follows:

ALL bikes (regardless of displacement) will qualify together and run together in 2011 in our premier class and will be scored in overall finishing order for CASH PRIZE MONEY and DETERMINING TOP TEN OVERALL for the year.

However, for the purposes of distributing manufacturer contingency (fuel, tires, brakes, oil, etc...) we will score GTO and GTU - * SEPARATELY * so you will enter as either ROR O or ROR U when you sign up. This will allow us to ensure that someone doesn't earn manufacturer contingency in BOTH GTO & GTU in the same race. Again, for CONTINGENCY purposes, you must declare GTO or GTU. The surcharge for BOTH classes will be $50 in 2011.

It is our belief that combining the class will provide much better grids, HIGHER PURSE MONEY, and more exciting racing throughout the field as ALL competitiors will now be eligible for a TOP TEN PLATE, and the advantages and disadvantages of big vs. little bikes will be demonstrated at the various venues.

One class did "retire" for 2011... Sportsman was poorly attended, and has been substantially replaced by the new SuperStreet series. Sorry fellas...

Jon
November 23rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
And the final rules for this new Thunderbike class are? The same as CCS or ASRA or an interpretation of. A word of caution as a CCS or ASRA riders may choose to show up at an MRA event and I know it's their responsibility to read the MRA rulebook prior to signup, I would hope that these rules are well defined in regards to bike weight, any HP limits and etc.
Really don't mean to be a thorn but the term Thunderbike really is misleading to some who have competed in this class elsewhere throughout the country.

T Baggins
November 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hey Jon,

we're still compiling the final "what's legal and what's not" but I suspect that pretty much most of the bikes currently legal in "thunderbike" in other areas will be legal in ours... as well as many more bikes I hope.

As an aside, I did call and talk to the head honcho at CCS to be sure we weren't stepping on toes by using the name "thunderbike". Thanks for the heads-up on that. They were fine with it, but did appreciate our taking the time to ask.

Jon
November 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less of you than to dot the I's and cross the T's when it comes to trademark and copy write laws there Tony but wanted to put this concern out there as even I got caught out when I earlier this season signed up for ASRA Thunderbike and was almost protested and would have been had I actually raced it. Something about my bike coming in at slightly less than the 470 pound cutoff, 570 combined rider/bike cutoff.
Can you imagine a 100 pound guy (or gal) trying to wrestle around a 470 pound Buell or having it land on them once it dumped oil everywhere? LOL

benfoxmra95
November 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
http://superbikeplanet.com/2010/Nov/101123u.htm

Before bike criteria is set in stone for thunderbike, should we see about Ducati's contingency requirements/expectations for the 848's?

Would be super cool if this bike tied into the "middle" twins class that is being made, but would totally suck if Ducati didn't want to pay becuase it was run with 1000cc bikes.

Tony, what's your thoughts on this since your pretty familiar with manufacture contingency. Are manufactures payouts have strict rules as to the where's and what's of a class structure?

I'd like to hope this contingency doesn't end up in twins gto where a race win on a 848 would be really really hard.

T Baggins
November 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ben - most recently (2009) they asked us "what class does such and such ducati bike run in competitively" and then they based the contingency on that. That's what they were doing anway before they decided to give all the money to Larry so he could pay YOU to jet around the country whilst you enjoyed your champagne wishes and caviar dreams. :lol:

Jon
November 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
This is where I'm puckering my arsehole as I know me and my Frankenbikes going to get it. How in the sam frigging hell does anyone think that a 103 HP, 324 lb bikes going to beat the 140 HP without the race kit parts 848?
I knew I should have stayed retired after buying the damn thing! Anybody want a really nice Italian paperweight? Ahh hell, that'll just make me ride harder, :twisted:

Disclaimer: Author neither claims or disclaims involment in this class but does endorse classes which may or may not make racing better.
He just hopes that at the end of the day that most if not all of his competitors will understand that he just wishes a place where he and his M/C can have fair competition.

benfoxmra95
November 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
they decided to give all the money to Larry so he could pay YOU to jet around the country whilst you enjoyed your champagne wishes and caviar dreams. :lol:

no actually all the ducati contigency was spent on a desmosidici that larry gave that to me along with, the private jet rental from track to track, strippers, my unusually high salary(we're talking golman sachs banker money) and a ferrari.

really tony, you mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger my darling.

dave.gallant
November 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
As soon as you said "strippers", I knew you were lying.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Like these?
http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/stripper1.gif

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
ALL bikes (regardless of displacement) will qualify together and run together in 2011 in our premier class and will be scored in overall finishing order for CASH PRIZE MONEY and DETERMINING TOP TEN OVERALL for the year.

I'm somewhat concerned about this format being used @ the two PPIR rounds. *If* we get a big grid turnout, the speed differentials at various points of that track could be shocking.

Might we consider a qualifying cut-off time?

benfoxmra95
November 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Like these?
http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/stripper1.gif

:lol: yes I'd like 1 pair of strippers please, along with 1 pair of....errrr....what's the name of that tool im thinking of... starts with a D and rhymes with YIKES... :shock:

I agree one the closing speed issue brewer...

dave.gallant
November 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~tdw5447/308px-Wire_cutter.png

Clarkie
November 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Snips?

dave.gallant
November 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Diagonal cutters.

Clarkie
November 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Oh Diag's, that's Aircraft Engineering talk :wink: (takes me back 20 years LOL)

cromer611
November 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~tdw5447/308px-Wire_cutter.png

whats that thing that holds water back up stream from a town?

cornerworkr
November 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
It's called an earthen embankment.

Fastt Racing
December 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
A dam for a reservoir?

TRK
December 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM

I'm somewhat concerned about this format being used @ the two PPIR rounds. *If* we get a big grid turnout, the speed differentials at various points of that track could be shocking.

Might we consider a qualifying cut-off time?

I am with you!!

Scored51
December 23rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
What was the AMA cut off percentage when they ran PPIR? I could apply a theoretical to last year's race.