PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 250 fork help

jmaher
November 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have found a number of 03-07 Ninja pretty cheap. My question is on the forks. I figure this could be my winter project.

1) Do the front forks from an EX500 including the triple trees bolt right on?

2) Do you have to change the triple trees or do the EX500 fork tubes fit into the pre 08 250 triple trees?

Thanks!

Joe

Scored51
November 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
A conversion of this type is underway with our best guessing at hand. The bearings used by both bikes are the same dimensions. The only unknown is the stack height on the steering tube. I'm sure updates will be posted as soon as they are available.

Yes, the entire front end needs to be swapped out because the pre-08 forks are 36mm in diameter where the EX500 are 37mm.

I'll also make sure the updates are posted concerning the use of an EX500 rear wheel as well.

TRK
November 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Can't you just take the triples to a machine shop and have a half mil taken off?
Seems easier to me, but I am not looking at it

rybo
November 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Or take it and have them press in the steering stem from the correct bike?

irdave
January 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Don't you have to use the stock tubes as per the rules? Or did that not come to pass?

Ah- just saw the part about being able to use ex500 suspension parts...

AdamandNoahsdad
January 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Is there any updates on this? Has anyone actually done the EX500 wheel swap"

Scored51
January 19th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Yes. Rod Mattison was the one putting this bike together, and we may see it on track this coming season.

The conclusion is the EX500 front end is a direct bolt on. If you use clip-ons, the fuel tank may get in the way depending on position. However, it is no worse than on the EX500.

The rear wheel conversion is typical of the sort, but all aspects need attention. New spacers have to be made to center the wheel in the 250 swing arm; the sprocket carrier needs to be machined down for proper chain alignment; the brake caliper mounting holes also need to be machined down to align with the rotor.

Hope this helps.