PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, ObamaCare

phildrummond
November 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Just did my annual open enrollment and one change next year is insurance companies are no longer allowed to make exclusions for doing stupid stuff like, I don't know...say...racing. In 2010, if injured, they could've said, "Of course you hurt yourself! You were racing. We don't have to cover that!" Now, not so much.

I'm told life insurance is another story. If I die doing this crap, my beneficiary gets nada. (Sorry Tony) Same for scuba and skydiving.

Check your policies and don't assume you're covered just because you hold a policy.

I think the Kawi spec class is exempt, though.

coax
November 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
You must read the small print on life insurance policies. Many will state that you are not covered in the event of death, if you race for money (professional). Just like many companies have what they call a "war clause", excluding any benificiaries from benefits, if you work in a contested area (some will exclude you if work is done in the Middle East at all and you die there).

If in doubt about the circumstances of death, they will go to extreme measures to prove that the policy was underwritten based on false pretenses.