PDA

View Full Version : Winter Bike Storage Suggestions

The GECCO
November 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Well, it's that time of the year when some of us will put the bike away without any real plans to ride again until spring. If you're in that group, here are a few suggestions that will help your bike survive the long storage. Some may be seen as a little extreme, so take from it what you will.

- Drain the radiator and add anti-freeze. This is as much for corrosion protection as freeze protection, so do it even if you have a heated shop.

- FILL the fuel tank all the way with 91 pump gas, and run the engine long enough to get any remaining race fuel out of the lines, injectors, etc. Today's pump fuels will easily survive a few months of sitting. Some race fuels will, others specifically recommend against it. Be sure to fully top off your tank as well, this will limit the amount of air and exposed steel inside the tank, which will limit condensation and the resulting rust/corrosion.

- While you're running the engine to clear the fuel lines, go ahead and let it get to full temp. This will warm the oil so you can do an oil/filter change, it will mix in the anti-freeze you added earlier, and it will top off the charge on your battery.

- Take the spark plugs out and spray a bit of WD-40 in each cylinder to guard against condensation and corrosion. Put the spark plugs back in, but plan to replace them in the spring before firing the motor.

- Back off all of the rocker arm nuts until all the rocker arms are "loose". This does two things: 1) it closes all the valves and seals the cylinders off from the outside world. 2) it ensures that one or more of your valve springs doesn't spend the entire winter in the fully compressed position, which will arguably inhibit it's performance in the future.

- Now that your battery has a full charge, disconnect both leads, starting with the negative. Reconnect them in the opposite order in the spring.

- Get the weight off of the springs and tires. A front stand that lifts from under the triples works perfectly. A rear swingarm stand gets the weight off the tire, but not off the spring/shock. Jackstands or blocks under the foot pegs is best. The idea is that the spring spend the winter in it's fully extended state, not partially compressed. This is the same theory I apply for the valve springs - All metal has memory, if the spring spends enough time the same position, that position will eventually become it's "resting" position, where it is exerting no force, and it's characteristics have changed. Granted, this won't happen to a very large degree over a single winter, but every little bit counts. Getting the weight off the tire prevents flat spotting and ensures that the entire tire goes through the same temperature cycles. Concrete is a great heat sink, any part of the tire touching it will not temperature cycle at the same rate as the rest.

- If you're going to cover it, don't do it with anything plastic that will trap moisture. A cotton sheet or something that breathes is better, nothing is best.

- Lastly, tape a note to the gas tank detailing what you've done so that you don't forget to undo the necessary items before firing it up in the spring.

I'm sure others will have some tips, but I think this is a good place to start.

vort3xr6
November 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Jesus! That is a full weekends work.

Fack me I just took off the bodywork, drained the water (not refill), took off the fuel tank and ran the lines out of gas, connect trickle charger,

I need to do all that other stuff too?

Jon
November 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hows that trick work with Desmodromic valves?

Munch
November 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Option 2: goto Arizona for winter race season :)

Jon
November 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I usually choose the above (AZ) but this year it appears I maybe heading to TX. No CCS,ASRA or AHRMA at Daytona this spring THAT boys and girls is a bummer. What are everyone elses plans? I'm just going to enjoy skiing,sledding with my kids, snowmobiling with my fiancee and we'll see once the race season kicks in in March. I believe CCS/SW schedule will post up soon and generally they've always started in Jan but unless they have it on Firebird Main opposed to east, I'm skipping it. It's too long a drive to have what few fillings I have shaken from my teeth. LOL

Desmodromico
November 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Ok I am mildly technically competent but I have never cracked the engine open on my 675. I am assuming the comment above about loosening the rocker arms means you leave the head off for the winter? If I loosen these will the head go back on without issue or do you just cover it somehow?

Would running it periodically through the winter do basically the same thing by moving the valvetrain and blowing any moisture out of the cylinders?

The GECCO
November 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Ok I am mildly technically competent but I have never cracked the engine open on my 675. I am assuming the comment above about loosening the rocker arms means you leave the head off for the winter? If I loosen these will the head go back on without issue or do you just cover it somehow?

Would running it periodically through the winter do basically the same thing by moving the valvetrain and blowing any moisture out of the cylinders?

No need to remove the head, just the valve cover, which is very simple.

Running it every so often isn't a bad idea, provided you allow it to get to full operating temp (oil and everything) which is tough to do with it sitting in a garage. Starting it for a few seconds or minutes and then shutting it down is hard on oil because it can lead to condensation on the inside of the engine surfaces, which leads to water in your oil. We're talking about small amounts, yes, so this isn't the end of the world. Again, every little bit counts. However, based on compression strokes, etc, the "place" where a motor comes to rest isn't completely random. The lower the number of cylinders, the more chance that the motor will come to rest in exactly the same "place" it was when you fired it, and you've gained nothing.

A better alternative to running the engine is to store the bike in 6th gear. Once a week or so grab the rear wheel and turn it about 180 degrees. This will bump the motor slightly and change the orientation of the valve springs, etc.

JohnGarc
November 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the tips...

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Option 2: goto Arizona for winter race season :)

Good call Scott! http://www.ccsracing.us/venues/firebird.html

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM
...generally they've always started in Jan but unless they have it on Firebird Main opposed to east, I'm skipping it. It's too long a drive to have what few fillings I have shaken from my teeth. LOL

Is it "Main" that sucks so badly? I think I remember the East track not being bad, just a little short.

Jon
November 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I like main personally because you get to shag along the straight and turn one, then the transitions offer many different renditions in which to find passing and crashing opportunities. East is just too damn bumpy and short for my taste.
But then again, let me state this, I haven't raced Main since late 2008 and East since mid season last year, since I've raced Miller exclusively and a dozen or so times at HPR. I'm pretty damn spoiled and I'd more than likely think that any of Firebirds tracks were crap if I were to do a lap on either say today. Regardless, racing's racing and it's all fun and if Firebird was my only obtion, I wouldn't complain....but I would more than likely be a traveling racer.