PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 ton truck review from a racer

nwatkins176
October 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Okay, I am getting ready to trade in my 3/4 ton Dodge with a 5.7 hemi. I am going to get something smaller like a 1/2 ton. I am really close to getting a 2007 Tundra Double Cab, but wanted everybodies opinion on the best 2007 and newer 1/2 ton. I am trying to stay under 30k.

rybo
October 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hey Neil,

Here is my review:

Truck: 2005 Nissan Titan
King Cab
4WD
Current Miles: 186,500
Model Level : XE

I couldn't be more pleased with this truck. I bought it used in 2006 from a racer on here.

It's a base model, so no fancy gadgets, in fact I roll down my own windows. It has a good stereo and some OEM allow wheels that I added, but other than that it's all stock. Stock air filter, stock exhaust system, stock everything.

I bought the truck with less than 20K on the clock and have been driving it ever since. The truck works. I haul stuff to build climbing walls, finish basements, do yard work etc, so it's used for real. My current trailer is a 7X16 with a GVW of 7500# and it pulls it easily.

Fit and finish on the truck is really good. My truck lives outside, so it's always in the elements. Interior materials and controls are made of high quality materials, and have a good sturdy feeling to them.

Fuel economy is about what you'd expect from a full size truck. I typically get about 17MPG and if I'm careful I can get 19 MPG, but the engine alone is going to make you not want to be careful.

32V dual overhead cam, about 320 HP and it likes to run. My truck has the tallest available rear end (lowest RPM at speed) and it will still spin the wheels anytime I ask it to. Put the pedal to the floor, the wheels are spinning.

Things I like best:

1) This truck has been incredibly low maintenance. I did my first "non routine maintenance repair" this spring. Both exhaust manifolds had cracked and needed to be welded.

Other than that, it's been the expected stuff: tires, brakes, fluid changes and one battery.

2) It drives well, and is comfortable over the road

3) Did I mention the engine? It's really pretty amazing.

Known trouble spots with the Titan:

Caveat: I have NOT had any of these problems, but they are known troubles spots for this model:

Rear end: Is probably slightly undersized for the truck. It's a Dana 44, which is a really good axle, but probably a little light. I've countered this by changing the rear axle oil frequently and with very high quality synthetic oil.

Brakes: Also probably slightly undersized for the truck. Again, I've had no trouble with mine at all, in fact it wore out it's first set of rotors at 175,000 miles, which is really hard to argue with.

My issues with the truck:

I really only have one and that is that Nissan has a "special" fluid for the automatic transmission. They are the only ones who make it, and using other fluids will likely cause transmission failure. I have only found one aftermarket fluid that claims to be compatible, and it's nearly as expensive as the Nissan stuff, which is in the realm of $20 a quart.

To it's credit, you only need to do this service every 50K or so, so it's not really that big of a deal, but it stings when it needs to be done.

This truck has been nothing but a joy to own, easily the best vehicle I've ever owned and when I wear it out I'll go looking for another one.

Hope that helps

Scott

JimWilson29
October 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
you gonna trade it in with those wheels and tires?

nwatkins176
October 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the review of the Titan Scott.

Jim I was planning on it. Those are keeping me above water with it. Want me to figure what it would be worth with your Rims and tires: The cost would the difference.

JimWilson29
October 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the review of the Titan Scott.

Jim I was planning on it. Those are keeping me above water with it. Want me to figure what it would be worth with your Rims and tires: The cost would the difference.

No its cool.