PDA

View Full Version : Super Sport Fork Question

racedk6
October 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
D. Fork modifications are limited to the following:a. Standard production internal parts of forks may be modified to alter
damping qualities. After-market damper kits or valves may be installed.

b. Fork springs may be replaced with optional or after-market springs.
Fork caps may be modified or replaced to allow external adjustment of
fork springs only.

Are fork extenders legal to use?

Thanks
Midnight Moto Grubbs

rybo
October 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Interesting question Steve....

my first reaction was that this would be an illegal modification because it does something more than permit adjustment of the spring (as specified by the rule)

As I thought a little more about it I realized that cartridges are legal in supersport, and that the cartridges often come with different fork caps....so if a cartridge came with a fork cap that HAPPENED to provide for extended length, would it be legal?

I don't know, but I think it should be clarified in our rulebook going forward.

Paging Bart and Casey!

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Based on the current wording, I would say no. Fork extenders would need to be listed as something you can add. Unless you try to say they are just considered "fork caps".

Now, of course my opinion doesn't mean much. Bartman will be the one who has to say yes or no to the final ruling.

(just don't beat me in SS and I wont protest) 8)

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Casey you need to work out the difference between the 'wording' of a rule, and the 'intent' of the rule. I know for sure I could find something on your bike that doesnt follow the exact 'wording' of the rule but without a doubt is legal.

Motorbikes are changing so much now days, and some of the rules (the wording) only apply to certain bikes. The 'intent' is pretty clear but you would need a hell of a lot bigger rule book to make sure the wording is right for ever motorbike made and raced.

Case in point, it would be 'legal' to recess your forks 8mm in the clamps (basically have a couple of cup holders like I used to run on my 05 GSXR1000) but run the risk of your front end being tweaked after coming down hard from a wheelie as it happened a few times for me. Or use fork extenders which offer no mechanical advantage. Geometry/safety advantages yes, but the same can be acheived using many other methods which are 'legal' in the rule book, just not really safe.

If you had to run 'stock' fork caps in the SS classes, goodbye Ohlins, and yeah the fork cap extenders can be considered 'aftermarket fork caps' that are just really tall! LOL

Rear tires are becoming larger, and people are compensating with their geometry in different ways. With one race to go and the O-SS title within your grasp, do you really want your bike torn down to the crank for me just to proove my point :D

I say for SS, they have to be OEM stock internals, but you can run 20W fork oil 8)

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hey Clarkie you are absolutely right about "wording" vs "intent". I have been struggling this year to figure out the difference also. Personally, I try to go by the wording of the rule book. More specifically, if its NOT listed as something you can add, then you CAN'T add it. Last year I thought there was going to be a lot of SS protests and I have gone over every part on my bike to make sure I'm within regulations. You can tear my motor down if you want to see a totally stock engine. Hell, I don't even have a power commander and am still running the O2 sensor to do my tuning lol.

It is going to be a HUGE project but I plan on working with the board on re-writing the rule book. It has had parts added and parts removed so much over the years that there are many contradicting sections and conflicting rules. Its pretty crazy the amount of stuff Scott and myself have already come up with. If everyone knew the rulebook word for word, people would know just how messed up it is. This off season should be perfect for exactly that.

So, I just try to decipher the wording. Since the final call is left to Bart, he has the experience and knowledge to figure out the intent of the rule. You are absolutely right that some stuff doesn't follow exact wording, but is definitely accepted as legal. Just not for Grubbs :shock:

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
So you 'added' an O2 sensor huh? :D

I know your bike is legal, but I also know I could find something that has been done that isnt written in the rule book. Heck 90% of bikes are that way even if it doesnt provide any avantage at all. I can think of 5 things off that people (or I) do that isnt listed, which makes it illegal right? :D

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM
FWIW, fork extenders were deemed legal on my(and others) GSXR6/750s in 2006 and later right here in the good old MRA.

WERA allows them too.

As does most everyone else.

FWIW, there are tons of other ways to achieve the same thing without the extenders that you wouldnt even notice on first glance...

dragos13
Oh no, my bike came stock from the factory with an O2 sensor. It just wasn't removed :)

Clarkie, I know you know your stuff and I would love to hear your list of things you believe everyone does that are illegal. I love SS racing and have been doing it the past 3 years. If something on my bike isn't legit, I would be the first to fix it BEFORE this coming weekend.

Clarkie
Also be prepared to fully rewrite the rule book every year with what I have heard is coming down the pipe line. The S1000R has opened a lot of doors for the Japanese OEMs in the SS/Street trim, it's kinda game on and it going to be tough to keep up.

Especially when you are allowed to run one off Kit racing items in the SS classes now....

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Who needs KIT parts?

A full MOTEC traction control control enabled system (eg: WSBK) is legal in MRA SuperSport!

Run whatever you can hide and afford boys. Everyone else is!!

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Who needs KIT parts?

A full MOTEC traction control control enabled system (eg: WSBK) is legal in MRA SuperSport!

If its just timing retarding based on engine speed then you are absolutely right. Once wheel sensors are added, it's no longer SS legal.

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
LOL pretty much Dave, it's a good thing Bart and other people that 'know stuff' are racing the SS classes, the door is kinda wide open right now with the technology out there and people like Bart could fully take adavntage ot it, I know I could :wink:

Hmmmm...2 wheel speed sensors, stock on the S1000R and new ZX10R, allowed to run race ECU's, comes stock with traction control..... it sure isnt 1999 any more! LOL Superstock/sport rules should be about creating parity in a class and right now that is REALLY hard. Jim Wilson's suggestions for classes have a lot of merit

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Who needs KIT parts?

If its just timing retarding based on engine speed then you are absolutely right. Once wheel sensors are added, it's no longer SS legal.

Except that there are already various speed sensors on most stock motorcycles since the dark ages. I don't have to measure the rear wheel speed at the actual rear wheel to be able to tell you how fast it is going.

Point being is this: When I complained in 2005+ that KIT parts in supersport was a contradiction, it was dismissed because we here in the MRA like to build rather than ride. So, I welcome the MOTEC (and all one-off black boxes that look stock) with welcome arms and wish you guys riding superbikes on DOTs all the best! :)

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 08:10 AM
crank speed or countershaft speed, and a front wheel speed sensor is all you need nowdays for TC/wheelie control, a LOT of bikes come with those stock now :wink:

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
No doubt about bikes being seriously built for SS. It would be nice to create a superstock class. Where motors are actually STOCK pushing stock HP. Now, you can mill the head, degree timing, run KIT ECU's. Seems like spending $10K on an SS build is the norm right now. I wish I could afford that lol. I'd be happy with just a PC and quick shifter. But, atleast they aren't fully built 140HP bikes like you find in SB.

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 08:13 AM
crank speed or countershaft speed, and a front wheel speed sensor is all you need nowdays for TC/wheelie control, a LOT of bikes come with those stock now :wink:

What could we do about that? If it comes stock, shouldn't it be allowed in SS? I mean, to limit it and say you have to remove or disable features that a stock bike comes with wouldn't make sense.

I guess SS rules should be more about motor building? Running aftermarket wheels? I don't know but the closer we can keep things to factory stock, the better imo.

JimWilson29
October 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Who needs KIT parts?

So the new 2011 ZX10 will not be supersport legal?

"The MotoGP-derived Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control, or S-KTRC, works by crunching numbers from a variety of parameters and sensors — wheel speed and slip, engine rpm, throttle position, acceleration, etc. “There’s more data gathering and analysis going on here than on any other Kawasaki in history, and it’s all in the name of helping racers inch closer to the elusive ‘edge’ of maximum traction than ever before,” Kawasaki says. The S-KTRC system relies on software buried in the ZX-10R’s ECU. The only additional hardware are speed sensors located on each wheel."

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/LATEST+NEWS/All-new-2011-Ninja-ZX-10R-comes-with-high-tech-tra/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/689711?contextCategoryId=48447

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/data/articlestandard/dealernews/412010/689711/Ninja-ZX-10R-ABS-KIBS.gif

racedk6
October 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Im just trying to find out if I can use fork extenders next year so my bike will stay safe as clarkie mentioned. As almost all racers on the 06 and up gsxrs run the fork extenders to achieve the geometery the bike likes.

Casey if it is not a legal run please add that to the rule change thread!

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Orsomeone could buy the ABS odel 1000RR just to get the sensors, then remove the ABS components, add the HRC wcu and you have TC, wheelie control, and if you know the right guy, launch control :wink:

ALL Honda parts, not a piggy-back system

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Who needs KIT parts?

So the new 2011 ZX10 will not be supersport legal?

"The MotoGP-derived Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control, or S-KTRC, works by crunching numbers from a variety of parameters and sensors — wheel speed and slip, engine rpm, throttle position, acceleration, etc. “There’s more data gathering and analysis going on here than on any other Kawasaki in history, and it’s all in the name of helping racers inch closer to the elusive ‘edge’ of maximum traction than ever before,” Kawasaki says. The S-KTRC system relies on software buried in the ZX-10R’s ECU. The only additional hardware are speed sensors located on each wheel."

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/LATEST+NEWS/All-new-2011-Ninja-ZX-10R-comes-with-high-tech-tra/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/689711?contextCategoryId=48447

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/data/articlestandard/dealernews/412010/689711/Ninja-ZX-10R-ABS-KIBS.gif

Since it comes STOCK with the sensors, then its legal.

Wheel speed sensors are not legal when ADDED to bikes that don't come from the factory with one.

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
So how about adding the OEM ABS sensors from a non-ABS model, just to gain TC/Wheelie control? You can update other components, where does it stop?

JimWilson29
October 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Can I run this on my 5 year old bike so that its equal to the latest machines?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs431.snc4/47471_1373833518886_1623242986_954060_1950718_n.jp g

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
It doesn't stop Crikey.

People who race the class need to decide where they want to spend their money. Supersport is a difficult beast to contain (and getting more difficult with all of this cool tech they are bolting on now), but it could be done if everyone wanted to remain competitive but not spend $10k on a supersport bike worth $5k in total by the end of the season.

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Can I run this on my 5 year old bike so that its equal to the latest machines?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs431.snc4/47471_1373833518886_1623242986_954060_1950718_n.jp g'

Yup. It is legal right now.

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hey you can easily spend $10,000 just on electronics right now and it still be SS legal. Two equal bikes engine and chassis wise, two equal riders, electronics will win, welcome to NOW! :D

dragos13
October 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM
SOLUTION: Buy a Ninja 250...

8)

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Or have SS, Mod Prod, SBK....

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=70033&highlight=#70033

2Blue
October 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm removing my horn for this weekend, but dang it, I'm leaving the catalytic converter on. :D :D

racedk6
October 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Damn people all I did was ask a question about fork caps lol

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Damn people all I did was ask a question about fork caps lol

If they are deemed illegal I would be very surprised. Many do and have run them over the years.

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
People have run lots of illegal things over the years..... :D

Just gotta work around the way the rule is worded :wink:

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
People have run lots of illegal things over the years..... :D

Just gotta work around the way the rule is worded :wink:

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sBQEBm6XsTU/TEBogEVDkqI/AAAAAAAACM8/U7jHceTX8eE/s1600/Bill_Clinton__Lewins_31996a.jpg

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Exactly! Some people interpret rules to their advantage, and others to their disadvantage :wink:

KFinn
October 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Wow.... A lot of interesting valuable content here.....

Just none of it to do with the subject topic!

00--00

This thread needs some Ritalin ASAP

racedk6
October 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Its safe to say its legal to 90% of the people.

The other 10% can get bent cause im gonna run them ;)

Bartman
October 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread however the way I read it right now is that the extender cap is in the grey area but not enough where I would call it not legal. We really need to close up and define better most of the rulebook.

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Grey area? Should there be such a thing in club racing when plastic trophies, costing the racer tens of thousands of dollars building a SS legal bike, are at stake? :D

Bartman
October 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Come on Clarkie you know as well as I that there will always be a grey area in racing, problem is as you have already stated is that tech is always changing and moving so the rules have to be somewhat fluid. As the OEMs try to one up each other we have to just roll with it, racing should be hard and will always be expensive and really over the years the number of people cheating is very small.

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
and really over the years the number of people cheating is very small.

Bonus Round!!!

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/motorcycles/photos/203500/203965.2003.Yamaha.YZF.R1.jpg

+

http://www.store.commoto.com/images/t17603-848-slipper-clutch.jpg

...equals what famous MRA incident?

:shock:

(I crack myself up sometimes)

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Fluid like chocolate milk?

Bartman I am a huge supporter of 'gray areas' as they allow people to be creative, and that is one thing that drives this sport 8) Now blatant cheating is a little different, but sometimes the lines get a little blurred and crossed, more so now with the electronics in use and the programming technology out there now :wink:

Dave - ah the 'good old years' LMAO :D

dave.gallant
October 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM
OOhhhh!! I have another one!!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Kawasaki%20ZX10R%2006%20%201.jpg

+

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Maxxis-PresaM6109.jpg

+

http://www.bar-decorations.com/images/ss_super_sport.jpg

(We can play this game all night!)

Clarkie
October 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Nowdays mechanical cheating is pretty easy to find, or hear. For example, some of us can tell a 600 has a 750 motor in it by the exhaust note and by looking at trap speeds. The electronics are a lot harder to police now you have secret switches that reset the ECU to a stock or low power map like is used in the dyno controlled classes.

I think you should just let all electronic stuff be open, then Dave and I can have some real fun :D

Bartman
October 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
and really over the years the number of people cheating is very small.

Bonus Round!!!

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/motorcycles/photos/203500/203965.2003.Yamaha.YZF.R1.jpg

+

http://www.store.commoto.com/images/t17603-848-slipper-clutch.jpg

...equals what famous MRA incident?

(I crack myself up sometimes)

I remember that incident quite well Davie and he was superpissed as was his main sponsor because he though I knew about and should have given him the heads up, course I was suprized as hell to find the slipper in there. At that time we had Lurch calling the shots on what we were going to check just to make sure shit was on the up and up.

Bartman
October 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
OOhhhh!! I have another one!!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Kawasaki%20ZX10R%2006%20%201.jpg

+

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Maxxis-PresaM6109.jpg

+

http://www.bar-decorations.com/images/ss_super_sport.jpg

(We can play this game all night!)

No quite gettin this one Dave, would you enlighten me?

froth
October 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM
So, who was it, and what were the gory details.[/list]

Bartman
October 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Not tellin

froth
October 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Aw! C'mon, give!

dave.gallant
October 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Not tellin'.

Bartman
October 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
what threw me at first is my computer is not showing the middle picture but now that I know now it is a slick tire it all makes perfect sense.
Oh and I am still not tellin

dave.gallant
October 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Images (I stole) are not showing up real well.

But, it doesn't matter.

We are not tellin!

Scored51
October 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Oooh ooooh ooooh, pick me Mr. Kotter! :^o