PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 250 Bikes at HPR!

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ok, so we're doing everything we can to promote the new Ninja 250 Spec Class for 2011... and believe it or not, it's already got a sponsor!

Welcome MotoAdventure Kawasaki in Loveland as the 2011 class sponsor!

Here's the details for those who are interested.

There will be one exhibition race on Saturday and another on Sunday - time slots still TBD - so people can see the bikes in action (or if they're lucky enough, to throw a leg over one of these bikes and check it out). Because there are still people who are buying and prepping their bikes, we'll allow "Superstreet Tech Preparation" for those races ONLY.

If you have a 250 and are planning on running in any of the OTHER classes which it is legal in (Colo, LWGP, etc...) then your bike MUST meet full MRA tech requirements (minus steering damper).

There is no charge to participate in the exhibition races (you still must be a current AMA member though). Endurance (if you run it) is the normal $60, and then the other classes will be $30 each (or whatever your 3rd, 4th, 5th class entry would be if you're running other sprints).

Questions ? Post up.

racedk6
October 4th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Can I borrow a bike? :twisted:

Bueller999
October 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
MRA license? Or just AMA membership? Any practice?

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
One Day MRA License $50 or reciprocity from recognized race organizations.

Normal practice sessions IF bike is MRA tech legal. Unfortunately, NO practice if bike isn't legal.

Bueller999
October 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Ok thanks Tony, maybe next year.

HAMMER
October 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
:oops:

HAMMER
October 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
What practice session Shud we run the 250 s in ? Slow I would assume .

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM

WTH??!!?? You've got one, and won't come out and show it off, and race two exhibitions for only $50?

Bueller.... Bueller.... Bueller.... :oops:

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
What practice session Shud we run the 250 s in ? Slow I would assume .

Jeezus Beavis - settle down... I heard you the first time! Ha ha

Yeah, prolly slow is a good place to start.

Bueller999
October 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM

WTH??!!?? You've got one, and won't come out and show it off, and race two exhibitions for only $50?

Bueller.... Bueller.... Bueller.... :oops:

So the lic. is good for Sat and Sun? Well $50 plus the $39 for the AMA membership.
I am very tempted but I am a bit poor (lackajob), and unfortunately mine is not race prepped so I can't run it in practice, unless you'll let me go out during Super Street practice. ;)

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Practice, you don't need no steenkin practice! Practice is for cheaters anyway... :wink:

Yep, good for both days. Gotta be AMA though for insurance (their new membership includes AAA type roadside protection too, in ANY vehicle so a deal for sure).

Lakajob could be a bit of a crippler though, I totally understand. Can't get you on the track for less than $89 - but it's a helluva deal you gotta admit!

OUTLAWD
October 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I guess I'm game...looks like I got some work to do before the weekend :)

HAMMER
October 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Wtf .... :shock: I didn't post that shit twice :? . Some hacker did it .

So can I come in and ride my 600 in fast too .?

Louden
October 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Thank you MotoAdventure in Loveland.

These guys are awesome, and one of the best dealers I've ever been to.

I can't believe you already beat me to them Tony!

T Baggins
October 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Wtf .... :shock: I didn't post that shit twice :? . Some hacker did it .

So can I come in and ride my 600 in fast too .?

You can ride ONE bike per round of practice - so first session you'd be Ninja - slow practice. Second session you can ride the 600, and so on...

Can't ride two times in the same "round" of practice.

T Baggins
October 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Thank you MotoAdventure in Loveland.

These guys are awesome, and one of the best dealers I've ever been to.

I can't believe you already beat me to them Tony!

Wasn't me - it was Rybowski... soon as he told them about the class they jumped at it!

Bueller999
October 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Alright after mulling this over and over :) I am really thinking I would like to do this, so a couple more quick Q's
Would Bartman pass my bike with the turkey baster belly pan with street bodywork that I can't readily remove the lowers? And would the removal of the side stand be non negotiable for this event?
And if I can get her past tech, what classification of day lic. would I be eligible for, since my last MRA lic. was expert but it was in '06.
Just looking at what practices I would be in.

T Baggins
October 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Alright after mulling this over and over :) I am really thinking I would like to do this, so a couple more quick Q's
Would Bartman pass my bike with the turkey baster belly pan with street bodywork that I can't readily remove the lowers? And would the removal of the side stand be non negotiable for this event?
And if I can get her past tech, what classification of day lic. would I be eligible for, since my last MRA lic. was expert but it was in '06.
Just looking at what practices I would be in.

If the sidestand can't un-bolt - then if you wired it up that should be sufficient.

I think a turkey pan would be acceptable for this weekend - but not long-term.

It would be an expert license - so you'd run Expert Slow.

If you run classes other than the exhibition races, you'll have to pay for those. $60 for endurance and $30 each for Colo Class and LWGP.

Dude - you need to do this! :shock:

Bueller999
October 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Dude - you need to do this! :shock:

Don't I know it :lol:

going to the AMA signup now :mrgreen:

Bueller999
October 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
ooooh wait a tick, one more Q, transponder, is one going to be required?
I am assuming I would need one for additional classes if I was to run them?

rybo
October 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Dave,

2 options:

1) If you don't care about laptime / score / points you can run without a transponder.

2) If you do care about those things this weekend, we have them available for rent. $50 a weekend.

Glad you're coming out to play!

Scott

peteyt328
October 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I want to play too!

racedk6
October 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Tony can I borrow one?

T Baggins
October 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
both of mine already have pilots for the weekend. They'll be out there 4 times each...

Bueller999
October 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks to the MRA for putting this on and letting me come and play, I had a great time and had some fun races for the back of the pack :oops:

I was pretty amazed how fun the the baby ninjas are on the big track. I have had mine out at IMI several times so I know they are capable little bikes on a kart track but I didn't really know what to expect.

I know 2 things for sure though, you really need to have the exhaust uncorked, and the race rubber would be a nice addition.

My Dunlop 501's held really well, but being street rubber I couldn't quite get comfortable at the lean angles the some of the others were throwing them down. I also learned that even on street tires the wet track is still an adventure when you try pushing it. So are there any rain tires available for these :lol:

This should be a good motivation to loose some weight too, every little bit is going to make a difference in this class!

oldtimer
October 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
The 250's were awesome this weekend! I'm surprised how competitive they are at a big track. Also very cool how big our lightweight grids got with the addition of eight 250's. :shock: That was the best LWGP race I've seen, not to mention the huge Colorado Class turnout!

Personally I thought these bikes would be more niche, like only good for a 250 class, but they turned out to be a positive for the whole weekend. I hope everyone interested comes to the rules committee meeting and joins the discussion on the proposed Ninja Cup. I'm digging it. 8)

Rules Committee Meeting
Sunday October 17th, 1pm
The Walnut Room
alcohol will be served

OUTLAWD
October 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
unfortunately I had technical difficulties on saturday, and my foot wasn't feeling up to getting on the bike on sunday. You guys looked like you were having a blast out there...

I plan to be putting in a decent amount of time on the ninjette over the winter, and maybe it will be some extra incentive to lose the fat kid suit...

mkdiehl
October 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hi all,
Just spent some time getting up to speed on the 12 page Ninja 250 thread (which now I am very late for work because of...)..and getting excited over the idea of a large grid, cheap racing, close racing...

Can someone give a rough idea of the costs/parts/labor (pipe, safety wire, etc) needed to turn street 250 into an eligible race one? I can certainly research it all, so if nobody has a quick answer, then I'll do the work later...just too anxious to hear the answer and have to go to work! Looks like i missed out on the Tony 250's....

thanks all

T Baggins
October 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
You can prep one on the cheap for about $900 plus paint.

Clipons, rearsets add a few hundred - but aren't technically "necessary"

Bueller999
October 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I ran my stock '08 this last weekend. for this event I was given an exemption on the belly pan requirement by sticking a aluminum turkey baster pan under the engine (not a permanent solution)and ran street body, I fully wired it and removed or tapped and disconnected lights, removed plate, kickstand and mirrors (all easily replaced), and flushed coolant system in about 5 hrs. I am running stock exhaust, which is a huge disadvantage and will need to be upgraded to be even close to competitive, and I just replaced the tires a few weeks ago with Dunlop GT501's which cost me $160 shipped from Dennis Kirk. Sol performance can get these tires for $180 mounted IIRC. The other bikes were running Bridgestone BT 003's and although I am very impressed with the Dunlops they are still street tires and if I seriously race next year I will need to go with race DOT's unless the specs require street tires.

I traded a guy my TL1000s straight across (approx $3000) for the bike 1.5 years ago.
So for me building mine I am budgeting:

Body work $500 (I will sell of my street parts to offset this cost)
Full exhaust $400-$800
Jetting (you can talk to Bartman on that, he has done a few so far)
Tires $300 ish??

The rest will be tweaking, I doubt I will be doing suspension changes to start with unless it is just changing oil or adjusting preload.

kamper11
October 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
The 2fiddy racing was great! You guys tore it up and had everyone watching!

THANKS Rybo for letting me take yours out - while I was 99% in prior - I am now 100% that I will find a 250 over the fall winter and be ready for season opening!

toptier
October 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I had a blast riding the 250's this past weekend. Thanks to Tony for letting my ride his bike during lightweight endurance and Bart for letting me take his seat during the demo race on Sunday.

Now it's time to find me a 250 for next year. It should be fun and hopefully some real close racing.

T Baggins
October 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I wasn't counting the cost of tires, as they're consumable...

the savings really is in the long-term though. Your cost to run one of these is next to nothing. Mine ran 6-7 times this weekend and only went thru 4 gallons of gas. Tires are as good now as when the weekend started (and they were used to begin with).

You could spend as much as $2K to prep on if you wanted, but imo - that will only make it prettier - not faster.

HAMMER
October 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I was just telling Casey d. (who is buying one this winter also) that selling off all the street parts could very easily off set alot of the purchase costs . The area p exhaust are around 4-5 hundred I think . The tires are 225- 300 for the "good " stuff . I beat on mine all weekend and they still have the paint and chicken strips on the front . I figure 5 weekends or more out of a set.the other stuff isn't necessary to be fast but personally I wanted to setup the riding position for my style and didn't mind spending a few hun more to be comfortable and have repalceable woodcraft parts in case I wad it up . The suspension i left stock besides putting heavy oil and spacers for preload . The forks were actually too slow this weekend because is was so cold they never warmed up and I was getting some serious chatter full lean. The rear was fine for me on the sofest setting so a heaver guy would be fine on the harder settings . I only use like 5 gallons of gas too .

If we can keep entry fees for 250 cup and stuff cheaper it will be a verrrrrrry cheap way to race in in a very fun competitive class .

Iv gotta say for the first time riding it . They were a freekin blast . When the bikes on the track are around the same speeds it makes for some really fun , close racing .

I can't wait ......

motolitho
October 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank Tony Baker for letting me check out the 250 in the expo race ON HIS BIKE. I had a great time, and did not expect to be so worked after it was over. I had missed the last 2 rounds due to financial reasons and was expecting a cruise on the 250. Not even close. Even though I am a big guy, the 250 did just great... it was fast enough for fun factor going into the turns and -for me- was all about technique. I think I was battling with Bueller out there, and he showed a wheel a few times... it was so much fun. It was also really cool to watch the fast guys roll away in the turns and see how much corner speed you really can run.

Chris Burford

Rebellion Motorsports

lars
October 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
with MotoAdventure Kawasaki as the sponsor for the ninjette class, does that just mean they pay mra some dough. or do they cut deals on people running ninja 250's or anything like that?
just curius:) i love a good deal!

T Baggins
October 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
with MotoAdventure Kawasaki as the sponsor for the ninjette class, does that just mean they pay mra some dough. or do they cut deals on people running ninja 250's or anything like that?
just curius:) i love a good deal!

They pay the MRA a fee roughly equal to the cost of the trophies for the season and the banquet.

I'm sure they'd cut you a deal as well... they jumped all over the Ninja 250 class as soon Scott even mentioned that we were "thinking" about running it.

lars
October 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM
[quote=lars]
They pay the MRA a fee roughly equal to the cost of the trophies for the season and the banquet.

I'm sure they'd cut you a deal as well... they jumped all over the Ninja 250 class as soon Scott even mentioned that we were "thinking" about running it.

cool, ill most certainly buy a used bike, i can't see them competing with those prices, but maybe parts....
thanks

racedk6
October 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
One just posted on WERA

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=269923

kamper11
October 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm starting to see 08's and some 09's in the $2500 "asking" range - clean title bikes. Found 1 in Bettendorf IA for $2000 - kid just had a baby and needs the money...

Bodywork, exhaust and jet kit, tires - Approx $1300

Bartmans dyno tuning extraordinaire services - Im guessing that's another $1000 ( JK )

And you have a racer in the low to mid $3000s.... not bad!

Of course rearsets, clips etc... its still a great way to fun racing.

Bartman
October 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hell if you want to give 1000 dollars to tune your 2fitty I will make it REALLLY good.

Desmodromico
October 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe this will be an option in the future too...

http://world.honda.com/news/2010/2101027CBR250R/

Desmodromico
October 27th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Ahh crap, forget it, I just read it will have ABS standard.... :cry:

Hotrod
October 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Rule change suggestion

... Petition to allow Ducati 1198R in Ninja 250 class for 2011.

:twisted:

Desmodromico
October 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Uhh, its a 250 single, if anything the Ninjette might pull it on the straights!

T Baggins
October 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
They claim 26 bhp, compared to the 32 the Kawi's claim - but appear to be about 20 lbs lighter...

Bartman
October 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
It must be the year of the 250, I have another ninjet in here and a old vtr250 that would be cool as well. Maybe we should just make this just a 250 supersport class and let any 250 street bike come and play. I have been lookin for the really old 250 ninja cuss it was also a good lookin bike like the new one. Hell now that I think of it I have to bring out a 250 Rebel or a 250 Eliminator, a couple of tiddler cruisers would be cool. If you liked the sparks off of Hammers bike wait til you see the sparks fly off of a Rebels pipe. :lol:

Bueller999
October 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM
My rebel can only lean about 15° before I am draggin' the stunt cage :lol:

Bartman
October 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Thats what I am sayin, if we want to give a good show what is better than a gagle of Rebel 250s throwin sparks everywhere. :D

Scored51
October 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I know of an SRX250 that might be interested in playing.

Nabber
October 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Tony
PLEASE get the message out to ALL Members that I have organised with my sponsor GB Fish & Chips, an End of Season Party at the GB Fish & Chips on Sheridan, (opposite Sloans Lake), for Friday 12th November, arrive at 7.30 and enjoy authentic Fish & Chips.
It is a 'Lock In', so at 9.00pm Alex will kick out the General Public and the London Pride & Boddingtons is on tap!
Significant others are welcome and I wondered if this may be a event for the MRA at this time every year.
I would post it, but my limited computer skills have not allowed this to happen, so if you guys could help get the message out, I would really appreciate it!
Best regards
Dave 'Nabber' Neighbour #911
Ps Got the schedule, what do I have to do to change my # to 12 and book my place on the grids for NGTU & NGTO?

KFinn
October 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Cool beans Dave! I was wondering when the email was going to come in on this.

froth
October 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hey Chris Dale!
Want to try the other branch fer fish and chips? This sounds awesome!!!(not that I am a nut for fish and chips or anything :lol: )

Clarkie
October 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Maybe we should just make this just a 250 supersport class and let any 250 street bike come and play.

Any? :twisted:

TRK
October 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I hope he meant 250cc four stroke twin.

Bartman
October 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yes I did mean 4 smoke 2fittys and we would prolly have to make it twins only cuss we don't want imports like CBR250s or ZX250s and others like it. I kind of like the old VTR250s and would like to see how they would work, I will have one on the dyno next week to see if they would be in the ballpark.

TRK
October 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM
or singles

jmaher
October 31st, 2010, 11:18 AM
For those of you already looking for extra rims....

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2034803857.html

beavis
November 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
i see that Honda has just introduced a 250 again. And its fuel injected. Is this bike suitable for the 250 class?

Scored51
November 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
Actually, fuel infection is already on the non-US spec Ninjas. So... the real hot ticket will be to have one shipped over here until it shows up on our shores in a couple of years. Oh crap! There goes inexpensive spec racing. :lol:

rybo
November 2nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
i see that Honda has just introduced a 250 again. And its fuel injected. Is this bike suitable for the 250 class?

At first blush I would say "no".

There are two main reasons for doing this class.

1) Inexpensive racing

2) Almost complete parity between the bikes.

The second you enter something OTHER than an EX 250 into the equation you're going to start having problems creating parity. Until you've tried it you can't have any idea how hard it really is to make a set of rules that creates parity between different configurations of engines.

We have a board meeting Monday the 8th and should have a good set of rules hammered out at the end of that.

rybo
November 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe we should just make this just a 250 supersport class and let any 250 street bike come and play.

Any? :twisted:

Says Clarkie as he looks for his tuning notes on the Aprilia RS250....

T Baggins
November 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
I would be in favor of specifically naming the bikes which are legal... so for example for 2011 - Both the Ninja 250R (all years) and the 2011 CBR250R could be legal. That keeps out the goofball SRX250's, VTR250's, etc...

It needs to be limited to current production 4 stroke bikes (or their direct ancestors). Obviously Honda is going after Kawi's 250cc marketshare with a bike that should be competitive. If it puts 2-3 more bikes on the grid - why not??

Or, if we only allowed Kawi's - would people just go out and buy Kawi's?

Just thinking out loud, and trying to remove barriers that would keep people from participating.

Munch
November 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
If I de-stroke a 749r, can it run?

I'm kidding, take your hand off the trigger :)

T Baggins
November 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
funny guy....

:wink:

Hotrod
November 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM

Add 400lbs of ballast and remove one spark plug, and yes, you may! :D

Scored51
November 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM

Add 400lbs of ballast and remove one spark plug, and yes, you may! :D

Are we talking about 250 spec class or STU? :lol:

kamper11
November 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Breakdown on the new Honda with comparisons to the Ninja

Weighing just 162kg/359lbs, making 26bhp and available with optional ABS, this is the 2011 Honda CBR250R entry-level sportsbike. And, miracle of miracles, it looks like Honda heard the cry for more desirable small-capacity motorcycles, it’s coming to the United States!

Power comes from a 249cc single-cylinder, DOHC engine that’s equipped with a balancer shaft to smooth out vibrations. That 26bhp arrives at 8,500rpm and maximum torque of 17lb/ft is at 7,000rpm, likely indicating a flexible, easy-to-use engine. The gearbox is a six speed.

The CBR250R is a little less powerful than the two-cylinder Kawasaki Ninja 250, which makes 32bhp, but the Kawasaki actually makes a hair less torque at 16lb/ft and is slightly heavier at 169kg/373lbs. That means the Honda is slightly behind on power-to-weight with a .160:1 (bhp:kg) ratio to the Ninja 250’s .189:1 and slightly ahead on torque-to-weight with the Honda making .105:1 (lb/ft:kg), while the Kawasaki only manages .094:1. Expect Honda to try and rival the littlest Ninja’s $3,999 starting price, although no official price for the CBR has yet been announced.