PDA

View Full Version : Racers with young families

mgarvey661
October 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Looking for anyone out there who has young kids with them on racedays. We've got two great boys, Angus who just turned three in October, and Brooks, who turned one in May. My wife would love to be able to hang out with other families on reacedays. Just wondering how many of you are out there.

I think that if we were able to make friends with other families at the track, then my wife will be a bit more inclined to support my racing desires.

I am trying to make the Sunday races. Let me know if you'll be out there. Thanks, Martin..

polar x
October 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Your poll choices are not the best but I answered it depends. In my case if my wife wasn't friends with other family's, I WOULD NOT get to race. Simple as that. And frankly, my family is more important than myself. especially my son. He has been at the track since he was a 1 year old, he is now 7. There are others there and it is VERY much a family oriented club. Come out and see what I mean, there are newborns, youngsters, you name it. what we are missing is teenagers. but thats not a bad thing...lol
But if it causes you and her to have issues then its not worth it. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. that holds true first and foremost.

Get her to become involved with your racing too. We have the most dedicated pit B*&^h's of any club around...Segren is the HANDS DOWN WINNER in that position. There are plenty of pictures of her changing tires for Shanon with a papus on her, helping mom. My wife helps me and others on my team greatly when needed, as does Lisa and Susan. So there are a few of us out there bring out the young ones...bring yours and stop by to say hi. Your wife will find she is not alone. WELCOME to the club.

Desmodromico
October 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
My twins are 4 1/2 and they are usually up for one day at the track, second day they get a little squirrelly. I have only raced one day a couple times this year which is probably what I will end up doing a lot next year too, but my wife has been very supportive and is always meeting new families at the track every race.

That said the fastest way to get you wife to not like the track is to sleep in a tent...I advise a hotel room or let mom and kids head home for the night and then come back out mid-morning.

Hotrod
October 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have been bringing my daughter to the track since she was about 4, she is 8 now. She loves it and she hates missing race weekends when mom has custody.

The key is to bring tons of snacks and juices and things for her to do, like coloring books, portable DVD player etc. There are ton's of kids at the track and a bunch of other parents...

Scored51
October 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
The big thing for anyone (wives, girlfriends, kids, etc) coming to the track is the need to make and have friends. This club is DEFINITELY a family oriented organization, and one of the easiest I've encountered to make friends. Having something to do at the track is also important. Whether they can help out in your (or someone else's) pit is awesome. My wife wasn't so "mechanically minded" so she used to do the scorekeeping.

Since my racing has been sporatic over past few years I've been flying solo, but my four year old girl is now begging to come to the track. So maybe sometime soon it will be a family thing again. I think this club enjoys taking care of its own, so the more the merrier. I also personally believe that kids are better off growing up with something like motorsports as they need to develop a healthy respect for it in order to negotiate growing older.

Vanmar Racing
October 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Although our 3 kids are now grown, they were small children during the many years Mark was racing.

We pretty much dragged our kids along to almost all of the races, including multiple Daytona trips, and other out of state venues.

The memories of those trips with our kids are precious to us.

Katie has been going to the track since she was born (19 years) and loves it.

Our family has been enriched by the friendships we have enjoyed because of racing with the MRA.

Tammy Schellinger
http://i51.tinypic.com/scdpvk.jpg

chrobis
October 3rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Precious picture, Tammy.

motolitho
October 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
My Wife, 1.5 year old, and I had an awesome time racing this year. Being able to run home for the night was key for her and the boy (he got fussy a couple times). Everyone one was super cool and friendly to him- remembering his name and stuff. The MRA is a family atmosphere for sure-

Chris Burford

Rebellion Motorsports

beavis
October 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have a 5 y/o daughter and twin 3.5 y/o boys and they love going to the track. Its a great family outing and weekend family time. Before I go and race all 3 of my kids do to me the shake-n-bake fist bump like on Talladega Nights. The one time they all 3 didnt I crashed :( I couldnt do it w/o my family there to support me. And all 3 kids have fiddys for when they are ready to ride and I hope they have the passion as I do to ride and race. I think its great fun and family time. If your wife needs more support come over to my Toy Hauler and hang out and all the kids can play. Just look for the yellow honda and green kawasaki and #134. Hope to see you at the last race and in the future.

cromer611
October 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
so did the topic of this come from a pissed off wife?
and now u have ammo... "see, see, they said its still ok to race!"
:lol:

Jon
October 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
One thing that might be looked at in the future is maybe allowing kids on wheels. Mine twins being eight know the rules of the road as we ride our bikes to school on nice days. I have observed them stop, look both ways and wear helmets time and time again. The only club in the country and I've raced all except for the AFM, WSMC and WMRA is the MRA. Most put the burden of observing safety in the pits on the racer and spectator not the kids. As mine love riding I find myself gravitating towards the other club as they have welcomed us with open arms.

T Baggins
October 4th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'd be in favor of designating a "kids on wheels" area if it's feasible, but am in no way interested in kids on bikes or skateboards wheeling thru the pits.

The consequence of a collision - regardless of who's "responsible for safety" is unacceptable to me - and to our insurance risk.

Jon
October 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Tony
I understand as it's been that way for at least twenty years, it's not really the clubs choice as some of the racers in the club have used bad judgement when it comes to paddock speeds/safety and the club has to be protective of the facilities it uses. It would be great though if there could be an area but as it doesn't serve the track, nor club to have such, we just go elsewhere.
I'll probably be back once my kids are grown but as they've really dig Miller and Firebird who knows they just might grow up there.
Thanks and understood,
Jon