PDA

View Full Version : New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

rybo
September 7th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Add a new class to create a spec class for the ninja 250 with the following rules:

Class: Ninja 250 cup class
Type: Amateur - Sprint

Bike must be a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX250) to qualify for this class. All years of this model are allowed.

In the interest of creating parity in the class ONLY the following modifications are allowed.

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2.1 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper.

2: Bodywork may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

3: Exhaust system may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

4: Carburetor jetting may be changed

5: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained.

6: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

7: Controls; footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

8: Consumables (tires / brake pads) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

9: The stock airbox / air filter must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

froth
September 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I like this, but wonder about the master cylinders. If we find an aftermarket unit to replace a broken one, why not allow that? Just a question (Yep. I am trying to figure out which bike to sell to make room.)

rybo
September 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I like this, but wonder about the master cylinders. If we find an aftermarket unit to replace a broken one, why not allow that? Just a question (Yep. I am trying to figure out which bike to sell to make room.)

Hey Fred,

So a brand new front brake master cylinder assembly from Bike Bandit is $141.00. There are 7 front master cylinders for the 08 and up ninja 250 on ebay right now for under $60. I doubt a suitable aftermarket unit can be found for much less than that. Opening it up means that someone's showing up with a $400 brembo on a ninja 250.

Same thing with the rear shock. Personally I'd much rather have something better than the stocker on there, but don't think the spirit of the class is to be putting $1000 shocks on $3000 motorcycles.

Snowman
September 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Sounds good to me.

Only thing I would comment on is tires. If the propose is to make a class that is easy to afford why not spec them as well?

dave.gallant
September 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Sounds good to me.

Only thing I would comment on is tires. If the propose is to make a class that is easy to afford why not spec them as well?

Some racers have long standing loyalties or relationships with trackside vendors that have supported the MRA for many many years. Forcing them to run a different tire before this class has even shown its ability to sustain itself would be premature in my humble opinion.

oldtimer
September 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I like this class proposal and hope Tony will be back with the first shipment of 250's for Pueblo. It would be beneficial to have these bikes in the pits this season to get the paddock excited about 250 racing next year. :D

Bueller999
September 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Airbox Q?

is removing the snorkle considered modification?

T Baggins
September 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Airbox Q?

is removing the snorkle considered modification?

imo yes. I don't think that we leave anything to interpretation. must be as supplied by the factory, in stock configuration.

rybo
September 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
9: The stock airbox / air filter must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

In my opinion NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED is exactly that. None, zero zilch. Removing parts is a modification. Adding parts is a modification. Drilling holes in the plastic parts of the airbox is a modification.

The best way to keep this class as intended, a spec class where all the bikes are essentially equal, is to make sure that the mods allowed are both inexpensive, easy and equal to all.

To that end my reasoning behind the "zero airbox modification" rule is this. If you severely limit the amount of available air for an engine (ie airbox/snorkle) then just about anything else you could do to that engine won't greatly increase power. Think 50mm restrictor plates on Ducati's in SBK.

This makes policing engine mods easier for the VP of rules and tech and keeps the playing field level amongst the racers.

I'm getting all psyched for 2011 already...

Bueller999
September 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
In my opinion NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED is exactly that. .

I think you need to stay with stock exhaust in that case. :wink:

rforsythe
September 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Gearing changes allowed?

dave.gallant
September 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
How about:

Gearing
Chain
Suspension: springs and valving only
DOT tires
Supersport legal bodywork
Brake lines
Brake pads
Rear sets
Swingarm spools
Jet Kit
Full exhaust (since Tony's bikes are coming in with aftermarket ones??)

Stock air filter and air box.

No rocket fuel. Pump fuel or GTFO.

What am I forgetting?

(No, this is not Supersport. Data Acquisition with traction control is not legal! :) :) )

T Baggins
September 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
yeah, I think we forgot to put the chain/sprocket thing in the first post...

Davey is on the right track with his list.

rforsythe
September 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yep that works.

Center/kick stands will be pulled, and I assume things like the horn will be as well. What about removal of brackets for street-only pieces (I haven't looked closely at mine, but let's say for example that the headlight mounted to some piece of metal that was otherwise not useful for anything)? Your prepped bikes probably don't have things like that left on them.

dave.gallant
September 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
HORN MUST BE ON THERE AND OPERATIONAL!!!

(In honor of Mr Applehans)

T Baggins
September 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM

HELL YES! That's a NO-BRAINER! Seriously, how funny would that be?

dave.gallant
September 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM

HELL YES! That's a NO-BRAINER! Seriously, how funny would that be?

Exactly. I think it was Second Creek Mike was beeping at everyone as they passed?

Mike and I used to store ham and cheese sandwiches in the little storage bins below the seats on the SVs. Between playing rock-paper-scissors and eating lunch, we kept ourselves occupied for the 30 minutes it took to get down the front straight at Pueblo. :) :)

Ray-Ray
September 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Can I keep a mirror on mine? I'd love to watch you guys bang bars while I sneak pass you for the win!! :P

hcr25
September 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
If horns are allowed I might be in! Where in the race weekend will this class be? If this class happens and the formula 40 does also what classes are we dumping?

TRK
September 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Run this class in place of the heat race we never run

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
September 9th, 2010, 01:54 AM
yeah, I think we forgot to put the chain/sprocket thing in the first post...

Just a suggestion - rather than reinvent the rules and almost certainly create a loophole somewhere, start with the AFM production class rules as a template and modify them as needed.

There are literally decades of collective knowledge written there. Go to section 9 starting on page 53 ..

http://www.afmracing.org/images/downloads/2010_afm_rulebook.pdf

rybo
September 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Come on Jim....that would be logical.

TRK
September 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Any chance you can upgrade the first Gen 250s to 17 inch wheels?

OUTLAWD
September 11th, 2010, 08:36 PM
^^ Scott and i were talking about this, from what i gather it is pretty straight forward to fit new style wheels to an older 2fiddy, with some machined spacers. If it is indeed that simple, we could add a clause saying that 08-10 year factory 250 wheels would be legal to retrofit onto xx-07 model year bikes, using these (specified) spacers...

While I do like the NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED, if I am picking up a wrecked old style 250, I'm not going to want to source good parts to replace something like a smashed plastic undertail, or fubared seat....while it could be looked at as weight reduction to remove and not replace said broken parts, or to fabricate similar parts, I really don't want to get nickel and dimed to death replacing a bunch of factory parts on a track bike that doesn't have a title and that I will probably just wreck again anyway.

rforsythe
September 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM
While I do like the NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED, if I am picking up a wrecked old style 250, I'm not going to want to source good parts to replace something like a smashed plastic undertail, or fubared seat....while it could be looked at as weight reduction to remove and not replace said broken parts, or to fabricate similar parts, I really don't want to get nickel and dimed to death replacing a bunch of factory parts on a track bike that doesn't have a title and that I will probably just wreck again anyway.

While I see your point, there also isn't much of one in having a spec class if you can replace parts with whatever you find out there or can fab up. Weight savings could become a significant advantage in this class if you can just stick whatever you want on there. Either it's a spec class, or it isn't.

Since most everyone will be on race bodywork anyway, it's probably not as big of a deal there. Seats can be recovered. Parts are all over eBay for these things. It's doable.

racedk6
September 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
You guys are almost making me want one of these things

Hotrod
September 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
*almost* :D

racedk6
September 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
*almost* :D

Almost is because they will make me start at the back of the grid because im the lightest person in the MRA

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
September 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM

AFM production rule 9.1.6.n)
Seat, seat base and associated bodywork may be replaced with parts similar in appearance to original, stock parts. Seat brackets may be added, but not removed from the frame. Profile may be changed to allow for proper number display.

BTW, if nobody has yet, I'd also suggest getting in contact with WSMC and see how their ninja cup series is doing and what issues they've had.

WSMC web - https://my.wsmcracing.com/ti/wsmc/wsmc.html
and an example forum discussion - http://my.wsmcracing.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=248

oldtimer
September 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Let me say upfront that, due to laziness, I've ignored Brewer's excellent suggestions to read the provided-for-me 250 rules from other orgs. :)

And based on zero information on what other clubs are doing 8)....I like the idea of allowing the 1st Gen 250's to upgrade their 16" wheels to the stock 2nd Gen 17" wheels ala Dave's above suggestion. Because it would allow guys to buy really really cheap (if slow) old 250's and still run modern tires.

T Baggins
September 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
The guy I bought the 5 ninja's from races WSMC and has offered his advice on the rules as well... I'll ping him for more info.

jmaher
September 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
^^ Scott and i were talking about this, from what i gather it is pretty straight forward to fit new style wheels to an older 2fiddy, with some machined spacers. If it is indeed that simple, we could add a clause saying that 08-10 year factory 250 wheels would be legal to retrofit onto xx-07 model year bikes, using these (specified) spacers...

Dave,

Is there a website or something to look at it? Does anyone make a bolt on kit for this change to the 17" wheels?

Joe

Louden
September 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
1.So I can use all of the following on my ninja 250?
a.Hot bodies body work = $500
b.Leo Vince full Exhaust system = $730
c.Dyno jet kit = $85
d.Suspension springs and valves Race tech
i.Fork emulator kit $170
iiFork springs $110
iii.Required stuff to rebuild
1.Fork oil $30
2.Inner and outer fork bushings $50
3.Seals $40
e.Brake lines: Front and rear galfer steel braded brake lines $100
f.Rearsets: Sato racing $425
gClip ons: Wood craft $160
h.Levers: Pazzo levers $180
i.Tires: about $250
j.Brake pads: EBC HH $66
kChain and sprockets: about$170
l.Old generation bike can have everything listed above as well as
i.17 inch wheels: Cost I have no idea ?
m.So that would equal about $3000 dollars worth of additions that would be within the rules.

2.Sense we can pretty much change everything but the motor can I use a Hyusong GTR 250r?

3.Wasn’t the whole point of this to make it cheap and all but equal?
a.I suggest everything OEM except
i.Bodywork: Must be in OEM styling
ii.Tires:Street legal
iii.Brake pads: Does not matter because if you use these in this class you’ll lose anyway
iv.Bike must match OEM weight

Bartman
September 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Louden just because you can put on rearsets clipons levers does not mean you have to and the main reason for doing so is cost down the road when you crash, holding everyone to stock pieces is just plain stupid and clipons and levers will make no diff to lap times, rearsets might because of ground clearance but I raced my 03 600 with stock rears and cut short pegs and had no issues.
We need to allow springs at the very least in the suspension to get the bikes safe to ride for the BIG guys and I think some of you are missing where this class will be cheap is not in the bike or the bike build itself but in the actual running of the bike, unless you are Turpin and change tires every lap :lol: a set of tires should last damn near all season and brakes will be almost lifetime.
If I build one of these it will have a pipe front springs jet kit front brake line(maybe)and bodywork(oh and the cheater motor of course) and thats it, oh and some krylon for the paint.

rybo
September 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Louden,

Just for comparison I did the following:

I went to my local Kawi dealer and asked what the replacement cost for the following parts were:

1) Handlebars
2) Rearset parts (footpeg, shift, brake levers and brackets)

What I came up with is the price differential between the stock and aftermarket parts was exactly $2.00

This was at retail prices that anyone can buy any of the parts at.

I see your point, but should we then also limit how much you can spend on your paint job?

These parts do not (drastically) affect the performance of the motorcycle and replacing them (in my case) means that I actually spend LESS money on spares because I can use the parts that I already carry around for my other bike to fix this one instead of having to stock both types of parts.

Scott

Louden
September 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Your right Scott the price of the parts from the dealership are nearly the same, but I want you to consider the original motorycle comes with all of these stock parts the day you buy it. Therefore if you buy aftermarket stuff you could have purchased a complete set of OEM spares.

Now you said this stuff will not drastically change performance, but based on the link I have added below, adding an exhaust system could add 2 to 8 horse power. On a bike that only makes 25 horse power I would consider that pretty significant. Of course I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm sure Bart would know.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/107727-2008-ninja-250-aftermarket-exhaust-options.html

In closing, If the only reason why I lose this race is because of you have a better paint than I do, I would say we have created the perfect set of rules.

T Baggins
September 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
...In closing, If the only reason why I lose this race is because of you have a better paint than I do, I would say we have created the perfect set of rules.

EXACTAMUNDO! =D>

Bartman
September 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Louden I went and looked at your link and the data he is using is hopelessly flawed since he is using the pipe companys data to come up with the #s. To date no one has lived up to what the claimed #s said. I can tell you from my own experiments that the full muzzy pipe makes 28ish and that a modified slipon fmf made 29 and I will let you know what the area Ps do in a few days as I have 3 in the shop right now.

chrobis
September 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Bart - What are you seeing from stock motors (er, pipes)?

Bartman
September 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have run two bone stockers and both did 24 all stock.

Louden
September 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I suppose Scott is right most of this stuff doesn't make that much of a difference.

I guess I was just hoping I could build one bike and use it for a long time without having to compete in the arms race, and forever eliminate any discrepancies on where I finished on anything other than myself.

Thank you for all the research and consideration.

T Baggins
September 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I guess I was just hoping I could build one bike and use it for a long time without having to compete in the arms race, and forever eliminate any discrepancies on where I finished on anything other than myself.

I believe that is the whole intent of the class... mine has a stock shock, stock forks, stock handlebars, stock levers, foot pegs, etc... I'm gonna race it that way till I break shit - and then I'll replace it with whatever makes the most sense at the time.

Bartman
September 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Tony when was the last time you crashed, you will prolly wear shit out before you break it. :lol:

dave.gallant
September 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'll crash it on his behalf. He isn't getting any younger dontchaknow...

rybo
September 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Louden,

I agree, the whole idea behind this class is for it to NEVER become an arms race.

To that end my bike currently has:

Aftermarket Exhaust (Area P about $450 for a full system)
Aftermarket clip ons (woodcraft)
Stock Shock
Stock Forks
Stock Rearsets

and that's it

I'm certain that this is going to be a lot of fun and I'll have nothing to blame but myself for being slow.

Get one, come race with us. This is going to be a blast.

Bartman
September 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Louden,

I agree, the whole idea behind this class is for it to NEVER become an arms race.

Stock Shock
Stock Forks
Stock Rearsets

and that's it

I'm certain that this is going to be a lot of fun and I'll have nothing to blame but myself for being slow.

As a arms dealer I think this is a bad idea, I always want the bigger gun or in this case a derringer. :twisted:

rybo
September 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
As a arms dealer I think this is a bad idea, I always want the bigger gun or in this case a derringer. :twisted:

I was thinking slingshot

rybo
October 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
first round of revision - will bring a printed copy for everyone to the RC meeting on the 17th

** Tony has added to this since Rybo posted it.

Type: Amateur (novice / expert combined)- Sprint

Bike must be a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX250) to qualify for this class. All years of this model are allowed.

In the interest of creating parity in the class ONLY the following modifications are allowed.

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper. A steering damper, however, MAY be added at the riders discretion.

2: No engine modifications of any kind are permitted. Engine must remain as delivered from the factory. No slotting of cam sprockets, no allowance for overbore, no porting, no shaving, no decking, etc.

3: The stock airbox / air filter / intake snorkel must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

4: Bodywork, windscreen, fairing stay, and bodywork mounting brackets may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Relieving bodywork for clearance of hand or foot controls, exhaust, and frame sliders IS allowed.

5: Exhaust system, including exhaust bracket assembly, may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

6: Carburetor jetting consisting of Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide hole size may be changed. No other modifications are allowed.

7: The PAIR valve may be blocked.

8: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves / oil, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjustable.

9: Brake pads may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin, but brake calipers and rotors must be stock.

10: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

11: Controls, footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

12: External gearing may be changed consisting of chain and sprockets only. These parts may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

13: Tires may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

14: On bikes manufactured 2007 or before the following additional modifications are permitted

a: Wheels may be replaced with OEM 2008 and up 17" Ninja 250 wheels.
b: Rear shock may be replaced with an OEM 2008 and up Ninja 250 Shock

15: Only parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed - but they must be removed at the stock mounting/bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame parts is SPECIFICALLY forbidden, excepting the kick-stand bracket. It may be cut off for ground clearance purposes.

16: Stock charging system must be fully connected and functional at all times.

17. Only DOT approved, street legal, pump gas may be used. NO race gas or performance additives are allowed. At the MRA's discretion, fuel may be supplied to competitors at the prevailing market price.

18. Instrument cluster may be removed, and gauges may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

lars
October 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Man, i can't wait!

jmaher
October 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think I may have found my older (and really cheap) 250. Is there anyone out there that could help me with the conversion to the 17" front wheel?

Joe

rybo
October 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joe,

I think we're going to allow riders to swap the front end with that from an older EX500. It should bolt right on and already have a 17" front wheel.

S

jmaher
October 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Are EX 500 front ends easy to find?

Joe

Scored51
October 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Mine was real easy to find! I took it off my EX500. :lol:

There are two on fleabay right now. Here's the link:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1313&_nkw=ex500+front+end&_sacat=6028

It is believed this is a direct bolt-on conversion, although I have yet to see it. The All Balls Racing website does list the two front ends as being compatible in their database and use the same bearings. I doubt the stack height is different, but I'm hoping to see shortly after the rules for the class have been solidified.

jmaher
October 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Ouch....seems a bit more expensive then a wheel swap. Are there any other advantages?

Joe

Scored51
October 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
It is actually FAR cheaper because the old EX500 front end is the new 250. The wheel size is different between the two generations of 250's, the forks are 1mm thicker on the new model, and (here's the big one) the brake rotors are different diameters. If you tried to put a new wheel in an old front end, you will need to fit the smaller rotor to the new wheel or re-weld the caliper mounts. You'll also most likely need to make custom wheel spacers and you may need to reposition the front fender.

If you can't do it yourself, you'll end up paying for someone else to engineer and custom machine the necessary parts. You'll also miss out on being able to list your old front end on eBay.

findgold
January 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
first round of revision - will bring a printed copy for everyone to the RC meeting on the 17th

** Tony has added to this since Rybo posted it.

Type: Amateur (novice / expert combined)- Sprint

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper. A steering damper, however, MAY be added at the riders discretion.

2: No engine modifications of any kind are permitted. Engine must remain as delivered from the factory. No slotting of cam sprockets, no allowance for overbore, no porting, no shaving, no decking, etc.

3: The stock airbox / air filter / intake snorkel must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

4: Bodywork, windscreen, fairing stay, and bodywork mounting brackets may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Relieving bodywork for clearance of hand or foot controls, exhaust, and frame sliders IS allowed.

5: Exhaust system, including exhaust bracket assembly, may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

6: Carburetor jetting consisting of Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide hole size may be changed. No other modifications are allowed.

7: The PAIR valve may be blocked.

8: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves / oil, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjustable.

9: Brake pads may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin, but brake calipers and rotors must be stock.

10: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

11: Controls, footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

12: External gearing may be changed consisting of chain and sprockets only. These parts may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

13: Tires may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

14: On bikes manufactured 2007 or before the following additional modifications are permitted

a: Wheels may be replaced with OEM 2008 and up 17" Ninja 250 wheels.
b: Rear shock may be replaced with an OEM 2008 and up Ninja 250 Shock

15: Only parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed - but they must be removed at the stock mounting/bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame parts is SPECIFICALLY forbidden, excepting the kick-stand bracket. It may be cut off for ground clearance purposes.

16: Stock charging system must be fully connected and functional at all times.

17. Only DOT approved, street legal, pump gas may be used. NO race gas or performance additives are allowed. At the MRA's discretion, fuel may be supplied to competitors at the prevailing market price.

18. Instrument cluster may be removed, and gauges may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

This thread has kinda died out and the new rule isn't out as far is I can find.

So is this the 250 ninja class rules as they stand.

Jon
January 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Why do the factory Supersport bikes always seem to go faster than the privateer Superbikes. Ah yes I remember asking myself that for years when we all headed down to Daytona.
Good luck with seeing that everyone plays by the rules.

findgold
January 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Why do the factory Supersport bikes always seem to go faster than the privateer Superbikes. Ah yes I remember asking myself that for years when we all headed down to Daytona.
Good luck with seeing that everyone plays by the rules.

MONEY - Tuners that know what they are doing - and the very best riders..

Maybe its because the factory bikes are blueprinted. The factory has a parts room full of parts and can build each bike using only the best parts.

another rule applies here also - its called don't over modify.

way back in the 70's when I started racing. I raced an RD350 yamaha
we had 3 basic classes to run them in
1. production where only changes allowed were tires, rear shocks, handlebars, gearing(sprockets) carb jetting, and rearsets.
2 cafe class where anything goes as long as the bike remained street (somewhat) legal.
and
3 GP anything goes this was the Yamaha TZ full roadracer class.
I always did better in cafe class with my production RD then the guys with the modifyed RDs.

Jon
January 7th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah that's the old AMA Supersport. Get a room full of cylinders, heads and etc and assemble them for the very best performance, Factory blueprinting and all within the good end of the specs. Same way with the chassis but ever hear Ludington, Medley, Johnson or others talk about some of the shit they used to do? Pretty damn amazing and good that Ludington's AMA head of tech these days cause you can't get shit past that fellow. Regardless there's still little mods that can be made to even an EX 250 that short of tearing it down to the cases could do and get a way with, then again I have no intention of ever showing up but look forward to watching some good racing.
Sounds like you've been around a while? I love the old MRA stories from Orlando, Zickerik and Storman Norman but remember best seeing some good old racing back in the day close to my home in GA. Road Atlanta actually with some old fellows name Spencer, Lawson, Rainey and even Roberts before then some Nixon fellow and Aldana used to go pretty good. You'd probably know that old Pig farmer Dale Singleton? Please share some of those old RD stories as I have a really sweet 400 sitting in my shop that I've restored with a Daytona head, Spec 2 pipes and other vintage pieces. I'd love to go race it but have never been sure enough that my clutch hand was fast enough to catch it B4 it threw me on my head. Please share as I love the history of how it was back in the day when men were men and motorcycles smoked.

findgold
January 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Sounds like you've been around a while? I love the old MRA stories from Orlando, Zickerik and Storman Norman but remember best seeing some good old racing back in the day close to my home in GA. Road Atlanta actually with some old fellows name Spencer, Lawson, Rainey and even Roberts before then some Nixon fellow and Aldana used to go pretty good. You'd probably know that old Pig farmer Dale Singleton? Please share some of those old RD stories as I have a really sweet 400 sitting in my shop that I've restored with a Daytona head, Spec 2 pipes and other vintage pieces. I'd love to go race it but have never been sure enough that my clutch hand was fast enough to catch it B4 it threw me on my head. Please share as I love the history of how it was back in the day when men were men and motorcycles smoked.

Just call me old fat and slow. Did most of my racing in the mid atlantic region. Loved racing in the WERA 8 and 12 hour endurance races. Even did a 24hr at Nelson Ledges.
My first race bike was an R5, spent a year trying to make it as close to a TR3 as I could. Then I gave up on that project and got a TA125.had a blast on that little bike. for a year before adding the rd350 to the team. And then doing everything I could to keep up with Ed Bargy on his 400 Kaw.

The TA125's were a blast to race, We had a lot of close good racing in that class.. except in 75 when some little snot nosed kid named Freddie showed up at Summit Point WV and lapped the entire field in a 12 lap race.
We used the run and bump dead engine starts back then and he was gridded last so that his daddy could hold up the bike and help him start it. (if I remember it right) most of the time i was 1st or 2nd row and didn't pay much attention on who was behind me.

Did a couple of years with MRA in the 80's Castle Rock, Aspen, Pueblo, and La Junta.

I plan on attending the MRA Banquet next month, and running in the Ninja cup races this coming year.

findgold
January 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Louden,

Stock Shock
Stock Forks
Stock Rearsets

and that's it

Big time talk and now his little ninjette is up for sale.. He has Duc, fever

Jon
January 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah I heard about the Nelson Ledges endurance events from Bob Stanley who used to run their club before he passed away a couple years ago. That I heard was a grueling race due to the track for one. Look forward to hopefully meeting you and I've taken on the fat short and lazy disposition as well. Thanks for writing