PDA

View Full Version : Quite an odd thread....

NossLou
September 1st, 2010, 01:16 AM
Well I'm sure this may be unimportant to many but here it goes….

I am in my final year as a Mechanical Engineer and am working with a team of engineers who are in the process building the first “snow tracked Triumph” to be designed and fully tested as a senior design project. Many may ask wtf are you thinking and why would you want to do that. Considering that our Formula SAE team was shut down due to school politics and funding we wanted to build something with a mechanical purpose that relates to personal interest of the group. There are teams designing theoretical cylindrical wind turbines, robotic arms, and other projects that just did not seem as appealing. We were going to develop a long travel track setup for a MX bike but figured there are multiple kits available already and would not be as unique. 2 moto already has a badass setup that is tried and true.

Team background- Every member is either an avid street or track/MX rider and are all in their final year of their ME degree. Our group is committed to a goal and will develop and design an attachable unit through solid modeling/Finite Element Analysis/ and CNC production.

Project background - Over the summer one of the team members suffered from a hit and run on his commuting bike and insurance has totaled out the bike. He has bought it back and is donating the frame and motor towards the project.

Bike 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955
- Straight frame
- Strong motor
- Minimal damage

Track design - The track design is still in the very early stages of development but will utilize a custom built swing-arm out of 4130 Chromoly tubing, TIG welded, and heat treated. The swing-arm will transfer the chain drive to a wider output sprocket through a “Jack shaft”. (I’m sure you have seen these setups for the squidlys rocking the 360mm rear wheel on Colfax) We will be using an internal drive cog similar to a snowmobile, however, accommodate the laser prototyped cog with a cush drive and sprocket. The system is to be designed around a conventional 15-inch wide snow track that will be shortened dramatically and supported by an internal, laser cut, and TIG welded frame. The track will be guided with idler wheels and a support cog attached to the frame and supported by the swing arm. (Similar to snow cat drive systems, minus a swing arm).

Front

Option 1 – Studded front 120 knobby tire
Option2 – Front Powder ski with pitch adjustment

I can continue rambling on about our design if you are really interested but am wondering if any of you guys have spare parts off old snow cats we could pick up at local shops to fiddle around with. Ideas and solutions come a lot quicker with spare parts in hand with visual representation rather than complete theoretical ideas that have not been tested over the years.

Items:

Snow Cat parts: ANY YEAR, MAKE OR MODEL

- Old 15-inch tracks
- Broken internal track frames
- Idler wheels
- Worn out cogs
- Skis

Triumph 955 parts: figured any of these would be hard to come by but it’s worth a shot

- 520 F+R sprockets/chain
- Cush drives
- Spare clipons
- Bearings

Newer gen R6 parts:

- Rear axle
- Rear spacer blocks (I’d donate them if I had spares)
- Bearings

Note* design might use the same setup as an r6 rear end, but we were trying to leave the door open to use the same rear hardware for a single sided swing-arm like the Triumph is equipped with. This design would boost marketing a bolt on kit that uses as much original hardware as possible.

I know this is quite a long shot to request support on rounding up these certain parts, especially in a time when most businesses are not doing as well as they were a few years back. Any support would be much appreciated! All parts donated will be returned if not destroyed in testing! :o I'll admit we are probably going to blow a lot of the drive system up throughout testing till we get all the bugs worked out.

I’m sure there is a ton of other stuff we can use in the future but have not opened up that can of worms yet. Anyways I appreciate the read if you actually could sit through it, and even more so if you have any of this crap lying out in the junk pile in the garage or shop.

Anyone here know of any local hydrographic companies?

See you all at round 7!
:twisted:

NossLou
September 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM
forgot to note the bike will have a NOS setup as well just for shits