PDA

View Full Version : Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Pages : [1] 2

T Baggins
August 31st, 2010, 05:01 PM
So it's been discussed a zillion times on these forums, but nobody's ever actually stepped up and done anything about it.

I think maybe it's time... for "Ninja 250 Spec Racing".

With some quick initial cost estimates I think you can run AN ENTIRE SEASON, including tires, gas, entry fees AND BIKE for between $4500 and $6500. :shock:

For the past several years COST has continually come up as a big deterrent to racing, and has cut people's racing seasons (and even careers) short. You spend $6500+ on a used 600, then $500 - $1000 per weekend, and then have to continually spend more and more to keep it competitive. If you could have the same amount of fun, on a playing field which is substantially leveled (you can only trick out a 250 so much...), for less than half the cost - would you do it?

I am contemplating putting together a small fleet of these bikes which would be available for rent/sale so people can see what the fun and excitement is all about... As the interest picks up, I'd get and prep more bikes for rent, and maybe we could eventually see grids like the 25 - 40 bikes they routinely get at AFM and WSMC in California.

So, the questions I'm curious about are:

Would you have interest in participating in a Ninja 250 Spec Race series?

Would you buy/build a Ninja 250?

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $250 - $350 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)

Would it be an additional race to your current program, or would it replace you current steed?

If there is enough interest, I "might" possibly even be able to have them put together in time for the final round of the year at HPR to do a Demonstration Race and let people check them out up close and personal like...

So what do you say? Way Cool, Sorta Cool, Totally Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), or what...?

There's room on the current raceday schedule to run them as a second wave to two classes, and they're already Colorado Class Legal... so there's nothing but more bikes on the grid and no downside that I can see.

Please chime in ..... now. :D

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 05:04 PM

DG: Yes.

DG: Maybe.

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $200 - $300 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)

DG: Yes. Only if I can put the tires of choice on it.

Would it be an additional race to your current program, or would it replace you current steed?

DG: Both.

So what do you say? Way Cool, Sorta Cool, Totally Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), or what...?

DG: You are totally gay. But, I am in.

Or, do this with 1999-2001 R6s and lets do a MV R6 Cup.

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 05:14 PM
http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2008/usasuperbike/elkhart/1/ElkFri0008.JPG

Munch
August 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'd be interested! I was even contemplating a CB 160 for kicks...

TRK
August 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
What class would you run them with?

Bartman
August 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Dave that is the 650 not the 250. :lol:

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Dave that is the 650 not the 250. :lol:

Sshhhhh!!!!

toptier
August 31st, 2010, 06:00 PM
Double post

toptier
August 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Definitely YES

YES

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $200 - $300 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)
Probably

Additional

oldtimer
August 31st, 2010, 06:09 PM
Duh, I would totally rent one!!!! I can race a lightweight bike for an entire weekend for $200-300? I'll try it and let you know after wards whether I think it's gay or not! Who WOULDN'T try it? :shock:

If we had an Ultra Lightweight class the winner would make back most of that cost in tire money. :-k

kamper11
August 31st, 2010, 06:40 PM
YES - I would race in the 250 Spec class

YES - I would likely buy/build one

YES - it would be in addition to my 160 - watch out - there are 2 of us now!

I think this is a great idea - and like my 160 - altho its proven to be the slowest bike in the MRA - or very close to it - I am hooked - love it and want to do more and Im starting my racing at 43 yr old - it could be a great low cost entry point - or a saving grace for those who can no longer - or want to - spend the big dollars!

swift.
August 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Absolutely.

Depending on how quickly I become hooked.

Yes, especially as a means to determine if it would be something I would want to proceed more aggressively with.

As of now, an addition to classes I am currently running.

gsnyder828
August 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
My first thought is that we try to field lightweight SS & SB grids before an ultra LW class, but if someone else is willing to risk capital to get it running - I say go for it.

That said, I won't run it.

I suspect it'll be a bit of a novelty... until people try to climb the hill out of T11 and realize it's quicker to dismount and walk the bike up the hill. What do those things make, 20-25hp? My 70hp SV can't accelerate up that hill... (of course, if I lost some weight it might...)

Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike. (knock on wood... assuming I don't crash the shit out of it next round) - so I think anyone interested in cheap racing could feasibly run a Kawi 650, SV650 or other LW bike for small money and have way more options for spare parts, etc. And over 2x the HP. And 4 classes to run in if we add LWSS and LWSB. I can't imagine hanging around with a Ninja 250 to run 1 sprint each day.

And quite honestly - those things would be dead dangerous to include in LWEnd with the size/speed of the MWEnd field. Someone will get cornholed...

If it does run... please cut the race to 5 laps. 7 laps will take almost 30m on those things. :lol:

LMsports
August 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM
The CRA started one of these classes this year. So far it was a bit of a slow start but has been gaining momentum throughout the year as people saw it become a reality and have started purchasing and entering bikes. A new company just formed and started renting 250's to support the series there as well. So far it seems as though they are well received and at one of the fastest tracks in the country (Brainerd). So...

Yes to all of the above.

HAMMER
August 31st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'll build one in a heartbeat and come whoop some arse :lol:

Has to be stock motor ( no upgrades except air filter and pipe ) no supersport bs just stock motor . And chassis mods. Like suspension brakes and gearing ect ... gotta be close as far as motor goes ......

That makes good racing

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike.

I preached this right along side you Geoff. The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

The point of the 250s is that it would be so ridiculous to overbore the thing or put Marchesinis on it that this might be a class that actually has a decent chance of staying "Supersport".

Yup; the bikes are ridiculously slow, especially at altitude. Yup; I would rather ride a bone stock SV650. Unfortunately, no one can resist not spending themselves into bankruptcy even when they race a ladies sport tourer.

I will race a damn tricycle if someone will line up against me and I can afford to do so, and if it takes a 250 for me to be able to do so AND AFFORD TO DO SO COMPETITIVELY, sign me up.

(this is also why the 50/100cc minis have always been so appealing to me, so possibly I am odd man out here...)

HAMMER
August 31st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike.

I preached this right along side you Geoff. The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

The point of the 250s is that it would be so ridiculous to overbore the thing or put Marchesinis on it that this might be a class that actually has a decent chance of staying "Supersport".

Yup; the bikes are ridiculously slow, especially at altitude. Yup; I would rather ride a bone stock SV650. Unfortunately, no one can resist not spending themselves into bankruptcy even when they race a ladies sport tourer.

I will race a damn tricycle if someone will line up against me and I can afford to do so, and if it takes a 250 for me to be able to do so AND AFFORD TO DO SO, sign me up.

(this is also why the 50/100cc minis have always been so appealing to me, so possibly I am odd man out here...)

Race minimoto , 20 doods on the same bike , what's the difference between 12 and 14 HP , just my ballzz

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Race minimoto , 20 doods on the same bike , what's the difference between 12 and 14 HP , just my ballzz

Your nutz are worth 2 HP? :shock:

:D

(You are right though. Nothing sucks more than getting beat by a 11 year old kid like Nicky Wimbauer used to do to us at IMI on a 50. Or Tracy S for that matter.)

HAMMER
August 31st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Come on Dave , I know yu want to , ..... plus I'm sick of me and schram kicking everyone's butt . We need more " fast " doods to show us some tire .( turtle and ara are actually rippin it up these days ) . Trust me. It's fun and super competitive. And cheap.

But a 250 at high planes .... its fkn on

svracer177
August 31st, 2010, 09:08 PM
I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)

davy4575
August 31st, 2010, 09:13 PM
Im game for it, I weigh 150lbs after ive eaten. Not my worrie if someones eating too many strudles and dougnuts to have fun on a 250. Id rent it cause beating on rental cars has prepped me all my life for this event. (really cause im a cheap bastard)

Yes its gay, but who cares if we are all doing it.
Anyway to couple this with some kinda superstreet thing? I would have been in long before this year if I could have rented a small bike racing against other similar small bikes.

just my 2.13 cents worth.

svracer177
August 31st, 2010, 09:18 PM
Im game for it, I weigh 150lbs after ive eaten. Not my worrie if someones eating too many strudles and dougnuts to have fun on a 250. Id rent it cause beating on rental cars has prepped me all my life for this event. (really cause im a cheap bastard)

Yes its gay, but who cares if we are all doing it.
Anyway to couple this with some kinda superstreet thing? I would have been in long before this year if I could have rented a small bike racing against other similar small bikes.

just my 2.13 cents worth.I weigh 195 pounds and race against all you girl weight types. And the weight makes a little difference, not much....

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)

HELL YEAH!!

gsnyder828
August 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

All true - but that's a function of the LWGP and STGTU rules, a LWSS class would solve all those problems... no middleweight 749s, no overbores, no Marchesinis, etc. And especially no cheater F042s! :shock: :lol:

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 09:50 PM
The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

All true - but that's a function of the LWGP and STGTU rules, a LWSS class would solve all those problems... no middleweight 749s, no overbores, no Marchesinis, etc. And especially no cheater F042s! :shock: :lol:

:shock:

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THIS SOONER?????

gsnyder828
August 31st, 2010, 10:04 PM

You're not implying that people wouldn't follow the rules, are you? 8)

Of course we'd have to allow slipper clutches... and Brembo MCs and kit harnesses - to be fair :wink:

dave.gallant
August 31st, 2010, 10:07 PM

You're not implying that people wouldn't follow the rules, are you? 8)

Of course we'd have to allow slipper clutches... and Brembo MCs and kit harnesses - to be fair :wink:

And this is why I like you Mr. Snyder!

hrcrider
August 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
This low budget way of racing may even get people to actually carry corner speed in this part of the country. Just think, spend less and learn to go faster. Strange concept that they teach across those waters on both sides of us.

Gallant you can ride my mini's any time.

froth
September 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM
What is this corner speed of which you speak?

metalseth
September 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM

After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.

dave.gallant
September 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM

After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.

Now this is getting good. Anyone who can talk trash like this is more than welcome to ride with us any day.

WELCOME TO THE MRA!! :D

toptier
September 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'll build one in a heartbeat and come whoop some arse :lol:

Has to be stock motor ( no upgrades except air filter and pipe ) no supersport bs just stock motor . And chassis mods. Like suspension brakes and gearing ect ... gotta be close as far as motor goes ......

That makes good racing

I agree. Make it as close to stock to keep the price to setup lower.

This would be exciting if this happens. I love the thought of the results of the race will come down to the rider, and hopefully it will be some really close racing.

chris nami
September 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
I think that a spec class of any kind is a good idea. Hell, Make one for each weight class. Have frequent and random inspections from the head of tech. Make the penalties for cheating big.... It can be done and it would be awesome!! I'm down to race a 250. I'd rent it or buy it.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2010, 08:11 AM
I race a 99 sv that is close to stock. I average 400.- per weekend, spending around 3500.- per year. That includes tires, food, fuel, water, race fee's and everything. I bought a used set of take-offs at the last round of last year and they are finally shot now. I run 5 races per weekend. STGTO, LWE, LWGP, STGTO and MVU. I could go faster if I wasn't so damn stingy on tires. And yes, I should have replaced them a little sooner since I crashed Sunday due to tires that I reduced to greased poop. Yep, I am frequently dismally out gunned, but Sunday I had the most fun I have had in recent memory banging bars for 5 laps with Anthony on his 1198s Duc. (Right up until I wadded it up). I bet he had more than 100 hp on me. Like Dave said, gimme a tricycle and I'll race you.

Replace clip on and master cylinder reservoir, un-tweak rearset and a little glass work and I will be back on the grid for pueblo for around 100.- .

I probably wouldn't race the 2fiddy class for the simple reason that it isn't realistically going to be any cheaper than I already am, and nowhere near the seat time or speed.

That said, I am all for anything that makes the club more money and puts more people on the track! YAY RACING!!!!

Hotrod
September 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM
P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that. :o

Louden
September 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM
YES
If the price was right and the racing was plentiful
NO... What would happen if I wrecked it
I don't know

vroomnut
September 1st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Would it make any sense to divide up a 250 class into weight categories to keep things fair? By weight...I mean rider weight without gear. You could run a fatty class (which I would be a part of) and a girly boy class. I imagine 140-200 covers most of the MRA with a few exceptions. You could do a minus 170 class and a plus 170 class. It would not be too hard to have a scale handy at pre-tech or something. Just an idea.

jmaher
September 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds like fun to me. Can we make people who weigh in like Grubbs run on flat tires to make it even?

Joe

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM

HELL YEAH! That's the kind of enthusiasm I'm talking about!

Here's what I have in mind so far:

Could run as a second wave to LWGP as "UltraLWGP" or whatever we call it.

They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...

Could run as a third wave behind STU/MVO

I thought maybe running it like they do the Superbike stuff - Race 1 Saturday / Race 2 Sunday and then award an overall. (just a thought)

Bone Stock except for the following:

Bodywork
Clipons
Rearsets
Pipe
Brake Line
Stock Shock (may revalve/respring)
Stock Forks (may revalve/respring)

NO MOTOR WORK
STOCK AIR BOX
STOCK CARBS (or are they fuel injected?? - but may map/jet as necessary)

I don't think there is ANY BENEFIT AT ALL to having LWSS and LWSB - because then you've effectively cut the grids in half by giving people the opportunity to build a Superbike. The whole point of this is to keep the costs down, the racing close, the grids solid, and the fun factor high.

I really think this could work, and you guys need to get out of the mindset of how fast or slow they are... It's all relative to the guy you're racing against. If we're all on similar bikes, that's where the fun is at!

Bartman
September 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM
I think that a spec class of any kind is a good idea. Hell, Make one for each weight class. Have frequent and random inspections from the head of tech. Make the penalties for cheating big.... It can be done and it would be awesome!! I'm down to race a 250. I'd rent it or buy it.

I have a good penalty, any bike found cheating will be crushed. :lol:

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that. :o

To be fair though Lincoln, people like you and I are in the minority and don't spend the kind of money that most people do on their equipment or program... :oops:

Desmodromico
September 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
I am interested for sure, curious though if anyone has taken one around HPR to see what kind of lap times it will do. If Joe Average goes out and runs 2:45's on one I doubt we could combine the grid with STGTU without creating a whole bunch of rolling speed bumps.

Also I agree to make it fair for those of us who weigh more than the bike, there might need to be a ballast rule like in horse racing for the jockey types. (Grubbs) :wink:

Dodd
September 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Tony, we have to do this.

Without beating a dead horse, this is a great, fun way for guys like me (Who have now found them self's with a wife, baby on the way etc) to get back on the track.

I don't care if they are slow. I don't care if I get spanked. I don't care if I come in dead last. I just want to race again!

Dude count me in if you can get this together for the last HPR race and have a rental bike available-

Dodd

kamper11
September 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
For the big guys vs small guys - a wave start - big guys in front - small guys delayed in the back - and as we all know about racing - fast is not necessarily directly related to size and weight - but the wave start can even it out a bit for sure and make for some compelling final laps

vintage 160/175 racing and 350 spec racing share a very common formula
fun - cheap - competitive - camaraderie. The bikes become the common denominator - the rest is all good!

Looks like enuff interest to field a race - would love to see you keep the 250 spec race seperate from Co Class - so I can race both a 250 and my 160 - and 250 riders can also enter the Co Class...

TRK
September 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Why put it in a class it could race up in?

Run it at 12:15 in place of the heat races and move lunch up???

They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...

I thought maybe running it like they do the Superbike stuff - Race 1 Saturday / Race 2 Sunday and then award an overall. (just a thought)

Bodywork
Clipons
Rearsets
Pipe
Brake Line

NO MOTOR WORK
STOCK AIR BOX

And the Kicker!

Claiming Rules....

May claim ANY bike on the grid for: $6000

May TRADE your bike for any bike on the grid for: bike + $1000.

In my opinion this would be more effective than even doing teardowns or sealing the motors. Who would go out and build up a cheater bike knowing that I could just come along next race and trade you my bike for it?

I don't think there is ANY BENEFIT AT ALL to having LWSS and LWSB - because then you've effectively cut the grids in half by giving people the opportunity to build a Superbike. The whole point of this is to keep the costs down, the racing close, the grids solid, and the fun factor high.

I really think this could work, and you guys need to get out of the mindset of how fast or slow they are... It's all relative to the guy you're racing against. If we're all on similar bikes, that's where the fun is at!

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am interested for sure, curious though if anyone has taken one around HPR to see what kind of lap times it will do. If Joe Average goes out and runs 2:45's on one I doubt we could combine the grid with STGTU without creating a whole bunch of rolling speed bumps.

As an example... at Buttonwillow in Cali they run these bikes - 13 - 17 bikes on the grid. The lap times at buttonwillow are almost exactly the same as HPR. I'll compare 250's, SV's, and Superbike 600's.

250 Ninja's
Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 2:10
Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:22

SV's
Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 1:55
Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:20

600 Superbike
Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 1:48
Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:09

So if my math is even remotely close, in a 7 lap race the fastest 600 guy would lap the entire field of 250's - BUT ONLY ONCE, and the slowest guys would get lapped twice.

Now obviously we wouldn't run them with 600 superbike... but this was just a ridiculous comparison for clarity.

Based on the SV lap times, the 250 race would be maybe a minute and a half longer than our current LWGP or STU if we ran it by itself - but since they would run together - then the length of the race would be determined by the fastest fast guy - not the slowest slow guy.

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM

This would be an option as well... just didn't want to step on toes by messing up the schedule.

Obviously if it's well attended, then it deserves to stand on it's own... and allowing them to ride up = more value for the rider and more $$ for the club. :D

LMsports
September 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
So far, my only point of contention is the claiming.

I will most likely put better bodywork on it so I can fit it nicely and have a nice paint job to represent those who support me professionally. Also, I may spend more than the next guy on maintenance. Making sure that my investment, although smaller than it would be on my bigger bikes, is still a smart one by taking care of my bike. Lastly, if I purchase a brand new bike from a dealer and start with a known straight and perfect bike, I don't want someones salvage sweetheart with no title and 1000.00.

Other than that, I'm still in.

svracer177
September 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM

After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.Ha ha... This from the guy that splashed coolant on his windshield so he could bow out of a race 00--00

skell15
September 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM

After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.Ha ha... This from the guy that splashed coolant on his windshield so he could bow out of a race 00--00
You two are making me want to borrow one and bring it down there. You guys would LOVE High Plains.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM

To be fair though Lincoln, people like you and I are in the minority and don't spend the kind of money that most people do on their equipment or program... :oops:

True, true...

Just saying it is possible to be a frugal racer, get a ton of seat time and have every bit as much fun (if not more) than the guy that throws cubic dollars at it.
I guess it comes down to what you want to get out of it. I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be "The Great White Hope" of motorcycle racing. I do it cause I love it...

Keeping my budget in check is about being able to afford to do it long term.
At this price, I will still be racing when I have to grid the SV against Hoverbikes with warp drives! :D

HAMMER
September 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM

I will most likely put better bodywork on it so I can fit it nicely and have a nice paint job to represent those who support me professionally. Also, I may spend more than the next guy on maintenance. Making sure that my investment, although smaller than it would be on my bigger bikes, is still a smart one by taking care of my bike. Lastly, if I purchase a brand new bike from a dealer and start with a known straight and perfect bike, I don't want someones salvage sweetheart with no title and 1000.00.

+1 , I'm not giving my bike to anyone . I'd spend way to much time making in look fast to let some goon crash it .

metalseth
September 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM

Next time I lap you, I'm going for the killswitch.

oldtimer
September 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have a good penalty, any bike found cheating will be crushed. :lol:

I'm fine with that. What the hell, it's a rental.

fairrpe86
September 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM

Bodywork
Clipons
Rearsets
Pipe
Brake Line

NO MOTOR WORK
STOCK AIR BOX

And the Kicker!

Claiming Rules....

May claim ANY bike on the grid for: $6000

May TRADE your bike for any bike on the grid for: bike + $1000.

In my opinion this would be more effective than even doing teardowns or sealing the motors. Who would go out and build up a cheater bike knowing that I could just come along next race and trade you my bike for it?

I realize that I don't race but I like Shannon's idea of running it in place of heat races. I have been around the club for four years now and we have yet to do a heat race in that time. It would allow those that do run LWGP and STU/MVO (AKA Shannon) to run an additional race if they so choose to do so. The talk has been to keep it a completely spec class so therefore why not keep the class as that so it truly is that and not having other bikes mixed in with it. Just my thoughts on the matter.....

Scored51
September 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM

Does this mean there is going to be tire money, or ANY money, in Colorado Class for 2011?

dave.gallant
September 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM

Does this mean there is going to be tire money, or ANY money, in Colorado Class for 2011?

Fill the grid and the $ will follow.

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM

+1 , I'm not giving my bike to anyone . I'd spend way to much time making in look fast to let some goon crash it .

What if the bodywork was left out of the claiming?

I'm just trying to make it a HUGE deterrent to build a cheater bike... I'm open to suggestions - but know that somebody's always that far ahead of the curve with performance enhancements - some of which are difficult to detect.

LMsports
September 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
When it comes down to it, it is still just club racing. I'm sure the MRA has a protest system in place that we can utilize if in fact we believe someone is cheating. I say just make it easy for this spec class for someone to be called out and stiff penalties in place for found cheaters. I know we are asking a lot for there to be some integrity, but I believe this is the kind of class to believe in with it. I mean, if some fool wants to spend stupid money to win no real contingency money and risk being called out in front of everyone and possibly risk a major fine or club expulsion over something like this, then we're dealing with someone who will take any measure created and distort it.

talladega
September 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
How about mixing in the 125 2-strokes with the 250's as well? My issue is similar, with a 160 4-stroke, Triumph 800, and RS125 2-stroke single all of my potential race entries would only be competitive in the same class. I am up for adding another "spec" class, but nobody even has one of these that I know of? Why not cater to the bikes we do have, or be sure that enough interest lives in people WHO WILL ACTUALLY GO BUY/BUILD a bike?

qwiksilver119
September 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
I would be really interested in this type of class. I wouldn't buy a bike, but I'd be more than happy to rent one if it meant I could get back on the race track.

How would the rental situation work? Would the racer be responsible for making sure it passes tech? Would the racer have to supply tires, etc? What happens if we crash it?

Either way I think it's a cool idea!

metalseth
September 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
I would be really interested in this type of class. I wouldn't buy a bike, but I'd be more than happy to rent one if it meant I could get back on the race track.

How would the rental situation work? Would the racer be responsible for making sure it passes tech? Would the racer have to supply tires, etc? What happens if we crash it?

Either way I think it's a cool idea!

Here is how a guy that races with us set it up

http://littleredninjette.com/

Bartman
September 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
For this to work truly as a spec class the bikes would have to be supplied by the MRA or a other designated supplier. All with the same set up and the only thing you can change is the suspension settings. You don't even know which bike you will be riding until you get there and get handed one.

dave.gallant
September 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM
For this to work truly as a spec class the bikes would have to be supplied by the MRA or a other designated supplier. All with the same set up and the only thing you can change is the suspension settings. You don't even know which bike you will be riding until you get there and get handed one.

Excellent!

Bart volunteered!!!

toptier
September 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
to bad we can't just trust people. I don't like the idea of have to claim a bike. I would much rather have my own.
Isn't there anything like a tampering seal we could put on the motors?

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.littleredninjette.com/N250GP082210BIR.wmv

if that doesn't look like fun to you, you're not breathing...

glenngsxr
September 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM

Tony, you gotta be careful here. You have other expenses involved like changing the oil, brake pads, water, and a little chain lube every once in awhile. 8)

kamper11
September 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Here's an interesting article - from a racer - former AMA racers perspecitve...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/5434/Motorcycle-Article/MotoUSA-Goes-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-Racing.aspx

glenngsxr
September 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.littleredninjette.com/N250GP082210BIR.wmv

if that doesn't look like fun to you, you're not breathing...

Oh now that's just silly. That would totally work for me.

Bartman
September 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM

Excellent!

Bart volunteered!!!

I will more than happy to do the prep work if somebody will pony up the cash for the bikes and parts.
This is where moneybags Dave comes in. :twisted:

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
I think that to set it up so that you CAN'T own your own bike, that would detract from the interest.

Maybe we make it so that there is tech inspection after EVERY race?

Maybe you start the season and the tech guy gets the chance to look at your stuff, look inside the motor, and then seals it?

If you break the seal, it needs to be re-teched...

or maybe, just maybe, people will see this for what it is - and race like gentlemen (and ladies) and just race their butts off on a stock bike like prescribed by the rules?

kamper11
September 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Maybe the Keep It Simple Stupid principal:

Everyone understands the intent of the class - if you have to have the fastest bike via pumping money into it - versus your riding ability - dont do it - cheaters not allowed.

IF someone is caught cheating - they are not allowed to race in the class for 1 calendar year (and must pass an "open motor" inspection)

OR

Pay a stiff enuff "fine" to continue to race (stiff enuff to keep em from doing it) - but only after the bike has been opened, inspected for compliance and sealed.

I think there is merit to starting simple and easy - the cheaters will likely become both visible on and off the track.

I dont believe any of the stakeholders or prospective racers want to see too much red tape or make it difficult on those responsible for ensuring the compliance. (does Bart really want to crack open say 12 bikes every weekend in addition to the rest of his tech ??)

Its a pre-season meeting (and continual reminder) where everyone signs a simple SPEC contract/gentlemens agreement that they will comply with the SPEC and if they don't the consequences are spelled out - pay up or sit out... and be open to the public ridicule of being known as the "cheater guy/gal".

Tony - thanks for not letting this idea simply go away!!

Good work here folks - lets keep this going all the way to reality!

rybo
September 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
While I see the appeal, what if the bike was something a little more competitive in other classes, say an EX650?

good reasons to go this route:

1) In addtion to a "spec" class the bike would easily fit into other class structures that already exist in our club (lwgp, stu, LW endurance)

2) The consumer "demand" for EX650's is pretty low right now, vs the demand for Ninja 250's being pretty high. They are relatively easy to find on the cheap (often not any more expensive than a ninja 250)

3) Our tire vendors already stock the proper size tires for them, riders could remain loyal to the brands they are already using.

The same set of rules could still apply, limited modification to participate in the "cup" class.

Thoughts?

a little more food for thinking....

Class type: Amateur
Race Type: MRA Sprint

I've been thinking a lot about this and would love to see us give it a go in the club. I think for it to be viable at all the bikes have to at least be mildly competitive in some other classes, the bike has to be in regular production and there has to be a good stock of parts availability. This leads me to the Kawasaki EX650. Class legal in: LW endurance, LW GP, Twins U, both novice classes, both amateur classes. Mods would be limited to exhaust, proper brake lines, bodywork and expendables (tires / brake pads). If the stock rear shock is rebuildable (I don't know) then internals of the suspension would be a permissible modification, if not then an aftermarket shock could be installed. Forks would be internals only, stock tubes must be used. No spec tire. Spec fuel is pump gas (with a posted specific gravity range).

JohnGarc
September 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
I 100% agree with the 250 Ninja Spec class.. In fact, I am going to get one ready for next year. .. . but HEY, want cheap racing??? Don't forget about us little old guys.. This one was just built by me over my STAYcation holiday. Its a CB125s... Granted not big enough for the track, IMI for sure but you get my drift??? Ala, CB 160,350, - RD 350, 400 - GS And GT series... Vintage racing at is finest. Talk about Cheap!!!! My race weekend for this little guy including my RD is Gas and Entry Fees. Tires are less then 50 for the set... hahaha

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs149.ash2/40797_1309246666100_1678597402_630909_6989119_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs157.ash2/41204_1309249226164_1678597402_630919_1134814_n.jp g

T Baggins
September 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Scott, the way I have it configured in my head now is as follows:

The bikes are already legal (and probably competitive in Colo Class).

If we ran them as a "two race per weekend series" for an overall weekend championship then there's two more...

Three classes that you KNOW you'll be competitive in should suffice for value of racing oppty vs. purchase cost of the bike.

"IF" the grid grows to the point that it deserves to run by itself, then we look at that - but I'm reluctant to throw another class out there that might only have 6-8 bikes to start.

Honestly I don't see the bikes being competitive in the current lightweight classes - but I guess people "could" race up if they wanted to...

fairrpe86
September 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
Lets put Moham on one in a Lightweight class and see, he sure is good at making that SV of his competitive in middleweight races when he needs to.

Bartman
September 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
The reason to do the 250 NINJA is it is the only bike out there in this range where as the middleweight twins there are many. The Ex650 is no match for the SV and for this to work it has to be one make only. Otherwise we do a Lightweight class and go from there.

TRK
September 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
I am in if the class runs on it's own. :shock:

This would be an option as well... just didn't want to step on toes by messing up the schedule.

Obviously if it's well attended, then it deserves to stand on it's own... and allowing them to ride up = more value for the rider and more $$ for the club. :D

kamper11
September 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
What year/s would you expect to run in this prospective SPEC/cup class?

The bikes are not the different - but did go thru a change 08-current.

Seems there's more race type products available (bodywork, etc)

The older models as expected will be more readily available and cheaper as used.

Thoughts??

T Baggins
September 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
2008 + are the better bikes, and there's not a huge difference in cost between them and the 2007 - models anyway.

There are some on craigslist, IN DENVER, right now for under $3k, and you can buy one brand new for just over $4K.

rybo
September 2nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
What year/s would you expect to run in this prospective SPEC/cup class?

The bikes are not the different - but did go thru a change 08-current.

Seems there's more race type products available (bodywork, etc)

The older models as expected will be more readily available and cheaper as used.

Thoughts??

I think if it's a ninja 250 it's in.

The newer ones use a more common tire size, and better tires will be more available, so from that perspective there is a significant advantage to the newer bikes.

talladega
September 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Sound like a pivotal question for RMK?!~ Maybe we run the "RMK Spec class" and have Ricky use his highly effective massage techniques to have somebody like RMK help in providing the bikes at a very reasonable cost either to the MRA or end users.

Additionally, have Ricky perform "new racer" licensing (and/or race school) on Ninja 250's provided by RMK (to some level at least).... This creates a more consistent value for RMK to consider something like this.

RMK (or someone on their behalf like Ricky) could then also have the responsibility of "maintaining" ritual services on the biikes- which would equate to more dollars and more faces in the RMK shop.

From the dealership perspective I can see the value in that! Now how many do you want to buy? I wish Ducati still made 250's!!

T Baggins
September 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't know that this necessarily "requires" full dealer support to be successful... however, we would of course contact all of our current sponsors who sell kawi's and see what they're able to offer our participants. RMK, Vickery, Grand Prix, Apex... all sell Kawi's so why shut anybody out? If any one of them wants to go full balls and really try to field the best "team" of 250's, then all the more power to them.

As far as nailing down "specific support" for the series, I'd rather go directly to Kawi and say "When you reinstate your contingency program, please add the Ninja 250 to the MRA eligible bikes."

I'm opposed (at this point anyway) to "requiring" people to go out and buy brand new ones in order to participate - though Kawi would probably do so if you wanted contingency.

I don't think that having the MRA own the assets is a good idea, for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is liability.

This is about making racing more cost effective for the racers, which would be difficult to do if we limited their options on where to buy one, who can license them, where they can be serviced, etc...

HAMMER
September 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Just tell me when to start my build , this will truly separate the men from the boys .

See if any of you can carry some corner speed ,

Any links to bodywork or parts??

I like the idea of a motor seal or somethin , even tho its gonna be tough to cheat on such a slow bike . It would be obvious

I can only imagine 15-20 of these on the grid rubbing elbows .

Good times

kamper11
September 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Bodywork is available from:

Hot Bodies
Sharkskinz
Airtech Streamlining

All have online dealers - and Im sure there are local as well.

motolitho
September 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I had already been considering a new way to stay racing with a lower budget. As I write this- everything is going up for sale this weekend. Season cut short by lack of funds. This was my own fault- I should have run a different (not so nice) bike with less displacement. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast and WILL be back. Particularly if we could do some more team endurance racing. But a 250 series sounds great too.

Ninja 250 -yes

Rental -no

Chris Burford
Rebellion Motorsports

HAMMER
September 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Read this , makes me wanna race right now

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/5434/Motorcycle-Article/MotoUSA-Goes-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-Racing.aspx

toptier
September 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Just tell me when to start my build , this will truly separate the men from the boys .

I like the idea of a motor seal or somethin , even tho its gonna be tough to cheat on such a slow bike . It would be obvious

Good times

Heck yeah that's the kind of racing I want to do. It all comes down to the rider.

Woodcraft makes clip-ons, rear sets and the site say's body work coming soon.

jmaher
September 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've seen some older ones on ebay and craigslist for $1500 or less.

What ever happened to the pit bike races discussion? Though some of the bigger pit bikes may be competitive in this class....

Joe

racedk6
September 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM

Also I agree to make it fair for those of us who weigh more than the bike, there might need to be a ballast rule like in horse racing for the jockey types. (Grubbs) :wink:

Its not my fault you guys eat to much ;)

I vote no ballast.

T Baggins
September 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

Good times

Heck yeah that's the kind of racing I want to do. It all comes down to the rider.

Woodcraft makes clip-ons, rear sets and the site say's body work coming soon.

Currently 3-4 options for bodywork, woodcraft does make bars and rearsets, and a couple options for slip-on exhaust.

I think about $1100 over the cost of the bike is all the more it would take to prep one (if you bought a street one that is...).

Or you could buy one of the ones I bring in...

toptier
September 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Its not my fault you guys eat to much ;)

I vote no ballast.

I second that vote.

HAMMER
September 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Pit bike races are for rmminimoto.com ..... bring it !!!!

Are the ninja fuel injected???

If there carburated a good tune will make a decent difference in power .

And would we run a spec slipon exhaust ??

I would wanna put frame sliders on every inch of it too. Have a feeling it will see the pavement a few times ...only in practice tho . :oops: :oops: :lol:

toptier
September 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
they're carbed

Clarkie
September 2nd, 2010, 07:46 PM

When I came over to race the FUSA Aprilia Cup Series in 2000 the class was dyno controlled/tested at each round. The limit was 62hp (or 63hp) and while most of us were always 59-62hp others tried to jet their 'street' 2 stroke like a GP bike and the struggled to get 55hp. Kent K from Sport Rider Magazine was one of them as he had lots of GP bike experience, but no 'street bike' tuning experience where the compression is a lot lower. There were races where some of us would spend 1/2 the day trying to detune it a couple of horsepower. The right plugs could gain or lose you 3hp.....anyway :wink:

I lost access to my dyno a while back, but maybe get the bikes down to Bart for a 'dyno tech' inspection at Faster. He could run them, mark the engines with paint and you are good for the season as it would be easy to check the paint marks in tech. The dyno numbers would remain private, but he would know pretty quickly if one was modified or stock.

Spec racing rocks. In the Aprilia Cup Series they had a class within the class for anyone over a certain weight, it was around 185lbs or something. A good idea and it didnt split the start numbers as they did everything together.

Jayrz
September 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Most of you probably wouldn't remember me and i only ran really three years but this class would be a good excuse to come back out at a reasonable outlay.

Jay Hollman

formerly MRA 337

T Baggins
September 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hey gang, here's where it stands at this point:

I'm going to try to buy 5-6 of them here in a couple weeks.

I'm doing everything I can to make this happen, but could use a little support along the way...

Would you want one of them? 2008's will be $4000; 2009 will be $4250

These are fully race prepped, ready to go...

Sidestand mounts have been cutoff (for safety), so these bikes cannot be made to be streetable. Stock Shock and Forks. Stock Foot Pegs.

08 Models:
All approx 2700 miles
Woodcraft clipons (on some but not all)
Area P full carbon fiber exhaust
Rejetted, shimmed, etc.
Fairly fresh Bridgestone rubber
Catalyst Composites, Cheetah or Hotbodies bodywork
MCProDesign or SBK paint (OEM quality paint - very expensive)
Misc colors available - black, blue, red, green
Galfer HH front brake pads
Fully safety wired
Full service data
Mobile 1 oil changed every 500 miles or less
Rear spools & race stand included

09 Model:
Approx 900 miles
Same as above specs

"If" I could have a couple pre-sold, it would make my out of pocket a little easier to swallow.

I'm doing everything I can to put this together. I've already got one pre-sold, and will keep one for myself of course... :D

So who wants the other 4? :?:

rforsythe
September 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hmm, maybe I will just keep mine and race it instead of selling it...

racer316
September 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm going to try to buy 5-6 of them here in a couple weeks.

I'm doing everything I can to make this happen, but could use a little support along the way...

Would you want one of them? 2008's will be $4000; 2009 will be $4250

These are fully race prepped, ready to go...

This is really tempting me to come back next year! I might be in.

rybo
September 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
It's official....I'm in.

jmart
September 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Dammit folks, there goes the budget to get the six up to par. Now, turning attention to getting a 250 for this! I'm in! :P

Jessie

HAMMER
September 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Ya I'm lookin at one tomarow, its on :shock:

lars
September 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I am very interested.
Love the idea of spec racing and the 250 is a cost effective platform to do it on.
I would like a little more info on the "guarantee" that there will be a 250 class and otherwise i would be in.
hopefully i will be in town for the next superstreet, as i recall i can get my license after two superstreet races.

N1K
September 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
This would be fanfreakintastic !!!!

HAMMER
September 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Build it and they will come :D :D

rforsythe
September 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I would like a little more info on the "guarantee" that there will be a 250 class and otherwise i would be in.

The club president just purchased six of them to start the class, the vice president just bought one to race in it, other members are finding or building them as we speak - there has been actual financial commitment from club leadership and members, what more of a guarantee do you need? :D

SHORT BUS
September 4th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Does Tony's wife know about any of this!!!

jmaher
September 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Is there a year limit or will an older Ninja 250 be eligible?

Joe

lars
September 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM

The club president just purchased six of them to start the class, the vice president just bought one to race in it, other members are finding or building them as we speak - there has been actual financial commitment from club leadership and members, what more of a guarantee do you need? :D

ok ok, time to talk to the wife:) i love this idea!

rybo
September 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Joe

If it's a Ninja 250 it's legal

S

HAMMER
September 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X45bt8yUxFI

LMsports
September 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Great video!

OUTLAWD
September 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Joe

If it's a Ninja 250 it's legal

S

hmm...maybe I'll be on the hunt for an old one...to really keep the costs down

willionaire
September 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Answers Below:

Yes.

Possibly depending on grid size/cost/other series I'm currently competing in.

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $250 - $350 per weekend?

Yes

Time will tell.

I agree with Dave on the tire situation.

LMsports
September 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I feel pretty confident that if the class is implemented I will be able to get Pirelli contingency for the class for next year.

rybo
September 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Rob,

Does Pirelli make a sticky tire that fits this bike?

S

oldtimer
September 6th, 2010, 07:00 PM
RRW article on the Four Hour Ninja 250 Endurance Race held last weekend at Talledega:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=41883

and the event website:

http://www.ex250endurance.com/

* Note 3rd place finishing team has a former MRA racer on it, Peter Hupperich.

LMsports
September 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Rob,

Does Pirelli make a sticky tire that fits this bike?

S

We run the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa 150 rear on it.

This is our top of the line DOT race tire.

froth
September 7th, 2010, 06:20 AM
COOL! Cheap bike and cheap race tire makes fun!

T Baggins
September 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM

The club president just purchased six of them to start the class...

To clarify, I am in the process of buying 5-6 of them. I say 5 because one may have already sold to another buyer on Sunday. I say process, because it's a bit of a challenge for me to come up with $24K on short notice, in the middle of refinancing my house... :lol:

I'm committed to do whatever I can to make this class a reality. Not only will it be a kick in the pants for anyone who participates, but it will go a long ways towards keeping our guys and gals on the track at a reasonable cost - AND it looks like it will bring a couple folks back who had stopped racing due to cost concerns.

With the current race schedule, I am completely confident that there will be a place for them on the grid for 2011...

As mentioned before, at a minimum they could run as a second wave to LWGP on Saturday (scored separately), they are already legal (and likely competitive) in Colorado Class, and if I get my way I'd like to see them run one other spot on Sunday, again scored separately.

If people will buy and prep one, I'll see to it that we get them on the grid. At this point, even just a few of them would save the Colorado Class... which would be worthwhile in and of itself.

The more bikes we have, the more flexible we can be with the scheduling.

HAMMER
September 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I Will be buying or building one for sure

Shit I've spent 3 grand on wheels for my bike lol ....... yu da man tony

ducati7044
September 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Count me in! And I'm sure a few guys from Billings would also like to participate!

N1K
September 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Can Novice riders race them??

T Baggins
September 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
No reason the Novices couldn't ride in it... :D

Spooph
September 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Oh hell yes. I'm in. I'll start out by renting them and build a track bike! I love my 250 on the street and can only imagine it on the track! :P

davy4575
September 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I knew that would get you over here! :D

lars
September 8th, 2010, 05:47 AM
im in, gonna build it this winter while i am dying to ride!

toptier
September 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I'll be building one this winter

kamper11
September 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Im in for this!

Hopefully with the interest and commitments being made here - there will be enough to warrant a unique race/class - on both days -

Speaking selfishly - I would love to get 2 250 races - 1 sat, 1 sun AND have Co Class to race my vintage 160.

Cheers

T Baggins
September 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I've added a poll to the top of this thread. Please go there and be as factual and honest as you can be. The better the information we get from you, the better we can adjust things to ensure that this new class happens.

KFinn
September 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'd be interested but can't see how it is feasible to get one at this current time. Yes the race prepped bike for an 08/09 is CHEAP! Yes I would love one to get more races in! But I can't see where I would pull the funds together for it. If I had the money I could easily take 1/2 of what would be needed right now and just invest in my current R6 and race fees for next year to make it a good season.

However, that being said, since I do recognize the potential of this, I have sent links to the 2 threads to several friends that wanted to race this year but couldn't justify the money for a 600 or 1000 and race prep it and then maint cost of racing. I think this is quite viable for them to get started for this coming year. How many of them will stop bullsh!tting and actually do it? Dunno....

chrobis
September 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Trying to be as realistic as possible, I just voted 'will not participate'. It sounds like a bunch of fun, and if there were no time and money constraints I'd be in, but that probably won't happen in 2011.

Renting sounds intriguing, but as a second bike $250 - $350 for one or two sprint races in a weekend doesn't compute for me.

That being said, it has given me over to daydreaming about finding a bike and race-prepping it myself.

chris nami
September 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Hey Tony I have a PM for you too. Anyways I think the another way to make this as cheep as possible is to limit the amount of tires one can use in a season. At $400 a set... that's the biggest expense. I think the class needs like a 3-5 set limit per rider. This could be done easy at tech with a quick signature on the tires from the tech guy.
Keep them stock, limit tires, and only pump gas! -C

Scored51
September 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'll sell you Battleax tires for the 250R at $400! How many sets do you want? :lol: :lol: :lol: The front in a BT-003 is $100 and the rear is $111 via internet sales.

It will be interesting to see what the wear is going to be like since it is a lighter bike without any horsepower. It's almost have the horsepower of a 125GP two stroke and a wider tire. Theoretically it should last quite a while.

chris nami
September 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Your absolutely right chris but you know as well as I it's not about most of us using the tires as long as we can... It's about that guy who has to have new tires everytime he gets on that bike plus will spend every dime he can to stretch the limits of the rules for a little performance gain. Bone stock, limited tires, pump gas curbs that a bit... Just say'n haha

rforsythe
September 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM
There won't be many places to spend money to be honest... Stock bits means stock bits, there isn't a lot of interpretation there other than a handful of specific parts. Otherwise if someone wants to blow their wad on a new set of 250 tires every weekend more power to them, it won't make a damn bit of difference and should put some great cheap takeoffs out there for the rest of us. :D

lars
September 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
There won't be many places to spend money to be honest... Stock bits means stock bits, there isn't a lot of interpretation there other than a handful of specific parts. Otherwise if someone wants to blow their wad on a new set of 250 tires every weekend more power to them, it won't make a damn bit of difference and should put some great cheap takeoffs out there for the rest of us. :D

agreed, let them waste money on tires.
i have ran my ninja 500 with 4500 street miles in a superstreet race and then a full chicane track day and they still had lots of meat. the ninja 250 will be even more sparing on the tires.

T Baggins
September 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Three of the six are SOLD to MRA racers! Have a verbal commitment for one more - who wants one of the last two...?

Time's a wasting! :D

JWinter
September 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
My mouth has been watering over this. Some more consistent riders to race against in CO Class! Maybe I can talk Bart into putting Bridgestone money back into CO Class now.

For those of you out there that don't know...Colorado class is the ultra lightweight class.

Geoff I agree with you in theory about a lightweight SS class, but there is no bike currently in the club that fits into a lightweight SS class. Last time I checked SV 650's don't come with fairings from the factory. I'm not sure about the Ninja 650 but it doesn't matter, cuz the Ninja 650 in the club isn't legal for SS either. It is hard to make up a SS class for a bike that doesn't exist.

Ninja 250's are cool, it doesn't matter if you have three minute lap times or a minute fifty twos. A win is a win.

See ya all at Peublo, Jeff

Bartman
September 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I should be able to get Bridgestone to put money in if we can get enough bikes and by the length of this thread that seems like it is going to happen but if it comes down to it the money will go into the 250 class and not CO class since it will have more interest.
One problem I do see in CO class is a 250 ninja will have no chance against to supermoto bike unless there is a reeeealy long straight. I mean we are talkin about 28 HP to 50 or so for a 450 supermoto, most will still prolly run it but won't be runnin for a win.

T Baggins
September 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM
we won't be running for a win, but there will be 8 of us fighting over 3rd!

GAME ON!

phildrummond
September 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I know someone forced off the grid by a medical condition...something about the possibility her heart exploding or some crap. Miracle medication does the trick. Not sure if I can get her excited enough to grid up, but I can get excited enough to prep one!

I'd be interested in trying one for giggles. I think this calls for its own special 4-hour in 2011.

Finally, to Geoff's point early-on about walking a 250 up the hill to T11, we could always cut that section, run it right off T8 into the esses. That would keep similar lap times, eh?

froth
September 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I hadn't thought of that! What a blast, keep as much speed from bleeding off in the uphill section! Count me in (as soon as I can sneak another bike past my wife, who for some reason, thinks seven motorcycles is enough for two people).

Fairbanks
September 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Who doesn't have too many bikes.....shit the wife and family called my ass straight crazy after I took the last one and threw a turbo on it. Guess what I just bought one of these 250's to play from Tony B. That makes 10 in my fleet so tell the wife its ok. I think hammer has 11. Its on like megatron.

froth
September 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM
True, True True. Unfortunately, I'm out of room with a kid in college, so maxed out is where I'm spending a lot of my time, and I can cheer you guys and gals on if I can't ride, right?

rybo
September 11th, 2010, 08:33 AM
True, True True. Unfortunately, I'm out of room with a kid in college, so maxed out is where I'm spending a lot of my time, and I can cheer you guys and gals on if I can't ride, right?

My understanding is that you are making your glorious return at round 8. I'll be on the wall cheering for you. Once that is complete the hook will once again be set and a Ninjette WILL BE in your 2011 race plan.

Just sayin'

Scored51
September 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
My understanding is that you are making your glorious return at round 8. I'll be on the wall cheering for you. Once that is complete the hook will once again be set and a Ninjette WILL BE in your 2011 race plan.

Just sayin'

Your plan is working! I've just received a distress call from Fred wondering how many XR100's he needs to sell in order to pickup a 250! 8)

froth
September 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Cool! The glorious return on the Great Pumpkin shall be an event not to be missed. I can run off any corner and not worry, since it's still got 13 inched of travel, and it's also my main dez sled!

jamesfromkent
September 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Just back from vacation so I missed all the commentary.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in owning one of these. This would be my criteria for getting one:
- It'd have to be eligible for 3-4 classes. I'm only ever going to own one bike at a time and so I'd want to get as much track time as possible out of it. Sounds like there are 3 classes they would be eligible for now, I'd be a lot happier if there was a dedicated class to it rather than just coming in the second wave of a NGTU.
- There would have to be a bunch of (novice) riders with 250s. Six so far isn't a huge number.
- Cost of the bike including maintenance would have to be reasonable. I'll do some research on this.

I'd be happier owning than renting but if the bikes are cared for properly and it saves on the maintenance hassle then renting would be OK.

Tony - I missed the meeting on Wednesday but will come to chat to you at Pueblo about it.

kangsoh
September 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Been talking to Bart about this one- I'd be down for trying to put one together for next season- it would be a cheap 2nd ride next to the TZ, though I'm interested in seeing how many others actually follow through with putting one together, and how the class(es) for this bike will be set up.