PDA

View Full Version : Passing DIY catch can through tech

cactusjack
August 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have a question about the tech compliance of a little project I’m working on. Short story is that I am sick of getting oil and combustion byproducts in my airbox via the crankcase vent, they have actually caused some plug fouling, but I don’t want to run the mod where the crankcase is vented to the exhaust via the PAIR valves. So I am putting in a catch can between the crankcase vent and the airbox, to hopefully collect at least some of the gunk.

I plan to use a compressor air filter / moisture trap as the catch can. It is the 1/4” model, very similar to the image below:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/12/12611901-cc42-4a9d-9d99-8121df88b5e3_300.jpg

The plastic is thick, much thicker than the plastic on the catch can at the end of the airbox drain hose, and is rated to 150 psi.

The filter I got from Lowe’s is a little different, and originally had a drain valve on the bottom that contained a check valve. I wasn’t happy with the air tightness of it, so I replaced it with some brass plumbing fittings and I don't plan to use the fitting to drain the unit (I will just unscrew the clear plastic bowl from the top metal part of the filter). Plumbing fittings are tapered, and I have thread seal tape underneath, so these aren’t going anywhere.

I intend to put the catch can on the left side of my bike (’06 Kawi ZX6R), right against the countersprocket cover. I haven’t figured out what to secure it to yet, but the attachment will be secure and safety wired.

My question is whether this device will pass tech. I don’t want to put safety wire on the plumbing fittings (they are hollow), but like I mentioned the taper of the thread and the thread seal tape make it nearly impossible that they will come loose. If I have to, I guess I could use a hose clamp around the fitting and safety wire that to something, but I would rather avoid more safety wire.

Thanks.
[/url]

cactusjack
August 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Forgot to mention that I pulled the filter element out of the filter body. I have no need to filter the crankcase air, just want to condense out the oil, and the air path through the filter body is convoluted enough to accomplish a sufficient level of condensation. If it turns out it's not doing enough, I will probably stuff a stainless steel scuff pad in there to add surface area.

KFinn
August 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I think the heavier you make the parts you add the better..... for the rest of us. :lol:

Bartman
September 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
It would pass tech but I would not do it that way, if you look at the kit parts from kawasaki you will see a aux baffle tank that is made for this very reason.
If you really want to have some fun put a vacuum pump on it and you will actually make more HPs.