PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Resuable Oil Filter Systems? Who Uses them?

KFinn
August 24th, 2010, 12:38 AM
So I have a Scotts mesh oil filter on my bike. this is a new system to me.

So I am curious who uses them for racing? Thoughts concerns?

I found some info on the scotts site and I thought it was interesting and some of which seemed like it could be reliable info.

What I am curious though, is who races with them and has anyone had any success stories or failure stories to share?

Munch
August 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I run one on my streetbike, no issues after 10k miles...

LMsports
August 24th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I've used them on race and street bikes. The only issue I have ever had was with the magnet coming off. It just sits in the filter so it didn't cause any problems, but I didn't like that it didn't stay where it was intended. Otherwise, I think they work well. I like that you can really see any potential problems with your motor when you do an oil change. If there are metal shavings, you'll know it since you are cleaning the filter and re-using it.

cactusjack
August 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Not trying to open a can of worms, but this guy has been cited around the interwebs for a while and what he says makes some sense to my non-engineering mind. He's not a big fan of the reusable oil filters because he thinks the holes are too large and there is not enough surface area:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

But, hell, I run the K&N only because it comes with a predrilled nut on the bottom, and I try to be as lazy as I can about as many non-essential things as I can so I can focus on the big stuff.

benfoxmra95
August 25th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Not trying to open a can of worms, but this guy has been cited around the interwebs for a while and what he says makes some sense to my non-engineering mind. He's not a big fan of the reusable oil filters because he thinks the holes are too large and there is not enough surface area:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

But, hell, I run the K&N only because it comes with a predrilled nut on the bottom, and I try to be as lazy as I can about as many non-essential things as I can so I can focus on the big stuff.

I read his diatribe. I don't agree. I have blown my scotts filter out with compressed air many times, and it's come as clean as new. I rinse it in a solvent tank, always from the inside out, then use brake cleaner on it, then compressed air. Never blow cleaner or air through the filter in the direction the oil flows, always the opposite.

also, if you have something coming apart in your motor to clog the filter, then you need to address that issue. If you fill up the filter, at anytime, you should be pulling your motor apart and not relying on the filter to keep the debris out of the engine.

Ducati's have a pre screen that catchs large debris before it gets to the filter. I cannot say with certainty that all japanese inlines have such a pre screen filter as well, but the debris he's talking about that can jam the filter, would not make it past the first screen.

I have used my scotts on my ducati since 2004, I change the oil everytime I do 2 track days or 1 race weekend, and that's roughly (was up until a year ago) about 15-20 oil changes per season, so a standard paper motorcycle filter is $10-12 The math is easy here. the scotts filter paid for it self many times over, it didn't take his estiamated years and years to pay for it.

I do agree that the scotts will allow very small debris through it's element, more so than a paper filter, BUT. this debris is so small that it will not get embedded in bearing shells, or cam journals. Only when you get a piece of debris large enough to embed in a bearing shell will it score the crank or cam journal.

The magnet did come out of mine as well, but some jb weld epoxy will set it right again.

Scotts, and the other oil filter company that's been making motocycle filters have sold thousands of them, along with thousands of circle track v8 engine dry sump oil filters which use the same filter material, for more years than anyone in the mra has been racing. The first time I saw this type of filter element was on a dry sump system for a race car in 1996, and it worked fine for many years.

if there was a major issue and motors blowing all over the country, we'd have heard about it long ago.

Jakester
August 25th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I know the guy who designed the filters for Scotts he lives just outside of Denver
He is a rider and regularly does week long epic epic dual sport rides and I have used his filters for over 10 years in some of my dirt bikes and street bikes with no issues