PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase venting, oil mist in airbox, fouled plugs

cactusjack
August 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
While going through the bike (’06 ZX-6R) to diagnose a (probably) unrelated problem, I noticed that the intake valves closest to the center of the engine (so one valve on #1 cylinder, both valves on #2 and #3, and one valve on #4 cylinder) looked pretty fouled (I was peeking in through the throttle assembly). The valves on the outside of the engine looked to have a very light coating of oil on them, but the closer to centerline, the more this oil looked darker and burnt.

I checked the plugs, and they shared a similar pattern. The closer to the center, the more wet but also burnt oil deposit; the further from the center, just a light coating of oil.

My first thought was along the lines of valve seals or piston rings, but then I noticed that the throttle butterflies also had a light misting of oil on them. And, sure enough, the airbox was all slick and sticky with oil. It suddenly all made sense – the crankcase vent hose is located approximately in the centerline of the airbox and thus the cylinders, so if there was excessive oil mist being sucked into the airbox from the vent hose, the cylinders closest to the center would get the bulk of the misting.

The degree to which the oil was burned was probably caused by my other problem this weekend, secondary throttles stuck in the open position, causing everything to be generally lean at partial throttle openings and causing some nasty lean misfires when rolling on the throttle aggressively at corner exits . . . based on prior experience with an older Kawi, the problem is likely the ECU and not the throttle assembly, but I have both coming in just to make sure.

But the amount of oil that got sucked up is somewhat troubling. What caused it? Could it be that the crankcase vent system was designed with street speeds in mind on average, but when the bike is ridden on the track at consistently high speeds, the ram air system creates more vacuum than intended (acting kind of like a carburetor, intake air rushing past and sucking in oil from the crankcase vent tube)?

Assuming this is a known problem and not something wrong with my bike, what’s the best way to fix it? An obvious choice is to run a bit less oil . . . I’m in the middle of my sight window, and some Kawi riders have noted that it’s best to run at the very bottom of the window. But this would only improve the situation by a small degree; ideally, I want the oil entirely out of my intake.

I know that some people run the KLEEN/PAIR mod, which reroutes the crankcase vent into the exhaust manifold through the reed valves that were intended to draw intake air into the exhaust to help the catalytic converter do its thing. But at wide-open throttle, wouldn’t the exhaust pressure overcome the crankcase pressure, thus closing the reed valves and limiting the venting to when the throttle is closed or only partially open? Would this be a problem?

Another alternative would be to put a catch can inline between the crankcase vent and the airbox. Ideally this would prevent much/most of the misting problem, and the crankcase would be vented at all throttle positions (by manifold vacuum when throttle is closed/partial, by venturi effect on the crankcase vent tube itself when the throttle is open).

Any thoughts?

TRK
August 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
What kind of fuel?
What is your oil level?

cactusjack
August 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
My map is tuned for VP u4e, but I generally run the cheaper Sunoco oxygenated gas. Because the engine is stock, I tend to practice on pump gas, the mapping isn't so far off to cause any real issues.

I usually aim for just below the center of the oil sight glass, which is exactly between the low and high marks. Some have mentioned running at the very bottom of the glass. Volume-wise its tough to say, bike theoretically takes 3.6L when filter is removed, and I put in about 3.5-3.6L. But I use the sight glass as a guide.

After thinking about the gas flow issue some more, the exhaust solution would actually work quite well, because there should be pulses of vacuum in the exhaust manifold every revolution, which is why the stock plumbing works (drawing in a bit of intake air into exhaust manifold each cycle to help catalytic converter). These pulses are obviously very short at high engine speeds, but presumably that's why reed valves are used, being among the fastest passive valve designs out there.

cromer611
August 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
ive seen this before. peter tabor had a problem with alot of oil blowing up into the airbox and out all over his motor. but that was the extreme. the same thing happened to my bike except mild oil like yours.
mr. tabor go a catch can installed and eventually it stopped blowing a lot of oil into the airbox. maybe a blockage in his breather system.
I have very little in my airbox, every 05-06 ive seen has a little bit in it. the designers obviously made it for racing, but one thing i noticed is the drain hose on the kickstand side of the bike, so it makes you think. If it was designed for racing then why did they put the drain on the kickstand side. knowing that they are going to be on rearstands when raced. after your done street riding and have you bike on the kickstand in your garage, its all draining into that catch bottle. but when its in your garage on a rear stand, of course its gonna seep into your motor : P but that oil gets burned upon 1minute of starting it up anyway so meh.
yup, its a kawi.... goood ol kawis. i clean mine out by twisting the throttle : P

TRK
August 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Are you sure it is oil and not VP residue?

cromer611
August 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Are you sure it is oil and not VP residue?

hes right, the sticky in your airbox is from vp if your running it. and if its left in your fuel systems it can cause things to stick open. like my secondary injectors 2 winters ago.

cactusjack
August 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
I haven't run VP since a couple of races back, so I doubt that's it. Still, the bike was new to me at the beginning of the season, so I should probably clean the airbox. Should I take the throttle assembly apart to clean that too? I'm actually getting a new throttle assembly in case the secondary throttle actuator has been damaged by the ECU; but if it works with the new ECU and resistance values look OK, I'll probably keep running it.

Eric: Thanks again for your help yesterday. Though I think much or most of the problem was caused by the stuck secondary throttles making my bike temporarily way lean (because the bike is designed and mapped under the assumption that those secondaries delay full throttle opening for a split second, their sudden disappearance can cause lean misfires when the throttle is opened all the way), I am going to replace my fuel pump as well, because that gunk was pretty nasty. Maybe when all is sorted and I have a long day of practice/testing planned, I can put the old pump in there to see if it works under load, but for the time being with a race coming up I'm taking no chances.

Kind of a crazy coincidence, actually. Last season on a 2004 ZX6 my ECU was also damaged, in exactly the same fashion: the only obvious symptom was that the secondary throttles would stop working. Bart and I were stumped, went through two throttle assemblies, and then on a whim he put his own ECU in there and all was fixed. I didn't think of it this time because for some reason I thought that the entire throttle assembly design had changed between '04 and '05. The FI light also didn't come on. And it happened at lower engine loads then, this time it's when I am really putting the power down.

Maybe Kawis weren't meant to be ridden by Polish guys?

Re: the oil in the airbox, I found a cheap ($15) little billet catch can that I might put in between the vent and the airbox. We'll see what happens. I just don't like the thought of oily, dirty air being mixed in with the intake charge. Though if someone has their vent routed to the exhaust/PAIR valve, please speak up, because that would be even easier.

Thanks, guys.

cromer611
August 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe Kawis weren't meant to be ridden by Polish guys?
lol!

Clarkie
August 23rd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Be aware in many clubs (MRA included) running the crank breather straight to the exhaust reeds (PAIR valve) on the valve cover isnt legal in the Supersport class, it is modifying something that isnt deemed to be able to be modified.

It they dont say you can, then you cant. But hey, maybe it was a rule that only I had to follow :D

cactusjack
August 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Be aware in many clubs (MRA included) running the crank breather straight to the exhaust reeds (PAIR valve) on the valve cover isnt legal in the Supersport class, it is modifying something that isnt deemed to be able to be modified.

It they dont say you can, then you cant. But hey, maybe it was a rule that only I had to follow :D

They had to slow you down somehow to give the others a chance, seems like as good a way as any. 8)

I'm still a novice, and I think they let us run anything short of forced induction (been a while since I dusted off the ol' rulebook). So, everything else being equal, what do you think is a more effective way to vent the crankcase?

a. Keep current system of venting to airbox, but put a small catch can in there;

b. Reroute it to the PAIR reed valves.

I'm not looking for power, just want to make sure my crankcase vents properly (not too much vacuum or too little) so I don't get any piston ring issues.

The hose routing to the PAIR valves would be much simpler, approximately half the length of the catch can solution, because I don't really have anywhere to put the catch can except in the general area of where the radiator fan used to be (I don't really want it hanging in the back of the bike in proximity to the rear wheel in case it leaks...). Doubling the length of the hose probably lowers venting efficiency quite a bit, so I might have my answer right there.

Thanks, Clarkie.

Clarkie
August 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Realize if you have a crank breather problem you could end up oiling the track if the breather is routed into the exhaust.....

Run a catch can, safer and SS legal

James W
August 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
thats exactly what happened to me at lajunta one year. I over filled the engine with oil and did not drain it to the proper level. any way I ran the practices and that was the last time it would run until i figured out what happend at home. 2001 r6