View Full Version : Supersport Rules Modifications

rybo
August 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
The following supersport rule modifications have been proposed thusfar

Add Rule:
2.2.2.B The following items may be added or replaced with other than OEM parts:
a. Case guards.
b. Fork brace.
c. Fire retardant foam. Foam may be installed in fuel tanks.
d. Steering damper.
e) Standard and slipper clutch assembly (steve g.)
f) Windscreen(carl s.)(carl s.)

The question I have to ask in this situation is at what point does a supersport bike become a superbike? We already allow brembo master cylinders in supersport, which most clubs don't allow.

When I was thinking about it a couple years ago (when we had a big supersport rules BLOWOUT) I was thinking that if I alone were making the rules I would stop at the point where major mechanical items were being changed. This would include things like the clutch and master cylinder, as both can have a major impact on the performance of a motorcycle.

An aftermarket clutch, slipper or otherwise, can greatly reduce the rotating mass attached to the crankshaft, and therefore makes a difference in the performance of the motorcycle. Should we also allow reduced weight flywheels? It bolts on just like a clutch. How about eliminating the charging system? What about removing the crankshaft, and lightening / balancing it? I realize that I'm not racing supersport and shouldn't care too much, but really, at what point does a supersport bike become a superbike? I would likely vote against this change.

The windscreen.....I'm not sure that I can see how it matters one little bit. I just can't see how an aftermarket windscreen could offer a major competitive advantage. (even if it does, the advantage would be minor compared to that of a slipper clutch), so I would likely favor this change.

Another thing to consider as we make supersport rules is how it affects our ability to host riders from other clubs. If we put our rules too far out of line with those of other clubs, then those racers may not come race with us. On the other side, we may prevent ourselves from being to go and race with other clubs as our bikes wouldn't be supersport legal there.

My .02

oldtimer
August 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the slipper clutches, I don't know if those are legal anywhere else but I would bet not. I kind of thought Grubbs was joking about the suggestion? :wink:

For Double Bubble windscreens: CCS Supersport allows them, WERA Superstock does not, don't know about MoM series but they usually line up with us.

racedk6
August 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I think they should only be allowed in CBR 600RR's and triumph 675's.

rybo
August 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Why not other machines?

A rule change like this one is hard to enforce.

Taking it to the extreme: "Only people named Steve must start the race with less than 2 gallons of fuel in their tank, but only when riding a kawasaki with pirelli tires. In that case 2.25 gallons is allowed, but oil must be 10W40."

The rule either applies to the whole class or it doesn't.

oldtimer
August 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM

I thought you didn't want a Triumph anymore? :wink:

racedk6
August 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I suggested the rule for bikes that dont come stock with a slipper clutch.

And Wyeth I dont want one anymore!

JimWilson29
August 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I propose that if you are under 120lbs wet, like Grubbs, that you are required to carry a backback filled with 50lbs of lead or ballast.

rybo
August 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I propose that if you are under 120lbs wet, like Grubbs, that you are required to carry a backback filled with 50lbs of lead or ballast.

only in supersport? or in all classes?

bluedevil
August 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
If you are going to make SS more and more like SB, then just do away with SS classes and make them all run what ya brung. SS to me means body work, case covers, clip ons, rear sets, Exhaust/Air Filters/PC's, brake lines, DOT's, and suspension internals. Everything else stock as made for that model that year.

The GECCO
August 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM
If you are going to make SS more and more like SB, then just do away with SS classes and make them all run what ya brung. SS to me means body work, case covers, clip ons, rear sets, Exhaust/Air Filters/PC's, brake lines, DOT's, and suspension internals. Everything else stock as made for that model that year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/smilies/imwithstupid.gif

T Baggins
August 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The goal of supersport rule changes, imo, should be to make it less and less expensive from year to year - not more and more expensive.

Additionally, if we nuke the SS classes altogether - that's one less class for people to race in each weekend and thusly that much LESS revenue for the club.

TRK
August 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Just like if we nuke RORU :shock:

T Baggins
August 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I couldn't agree more... which is why the Board went AGAINST the rules committee recommendation to go with a single ROR. That would have further cut the participation...

dragos13
August 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM

I couldn't agree more... which is why the Board went AGAINST the rules committee recommendation to go with a single ROR. That would have further cut the participation...

Its not a suggestion to "nuke" RORU, but rather combine RORU and RORO ;)

sheispoison
August 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM

I agree, I just see windscreens as bodywork. That's why I said it. As far as slipper clutches go, if it didn't come with one then I see it as superbike upgrade.